“Friendly staff”

Hotel des Arts Amsterdam
Ranked #253 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Really lovely staff who were friendly and spoke excellent English. Good location and full of quirky features appropriate to a building of this age. We had a lot of fun here and would stay again.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Excess-Baggage-UK
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Arts Amsterdam

Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for a long weekend. The location was perfect as it is easy access and walking distance to the city centre. The staff were helpful and the room was very clean and adequate for our stay.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I went to Amsterdam back in '04, so of course this review is dated, yet my family had planned on staying there again last year. Due to high airline costs, we were unable to make the trip there.
At the time, the hotel was pricey, but as were other hotels in the area. It's really in a prime spot, but the railway that went right in front of the hotel got old when you are trying to sleep (Imagine hearing the rumbling outside when it went zooming up, ringing the bell to say "IM HERE!!!!" and then whiz away.
The houses in Amsterdam are tall... not wide, which means that anyone with a fear of steep stairs, or a disability, should really contact the hotel and ask if it's accomodating to them. I nearly laughed when reading about other people's suprise when they realized they had to climb the tiny stairs to their rooms. It sucks carrying your luggage up the stairs, but I tend to pack light and didn't have a problem. The hotel didn't have a.c. when we went, which was fine. It was nice out. And the view of the building across the street was amazing. The walk to the historical sites (which are everywhere), was fairly easy. A short walk, and you're at Rembrandt square and in he red light district. The internet was slow, yet I emailed people and that was it. The staff was always friendly, and always willing to give suggestions on where to go sightseeing.
I won't get into many more details, as my post is very outdated, but really.... If anyone physically cannot walk up stairs (particularily small winding steps), then don't waste your time on this hotel. Also, call the hotel of your choice ahead of time to make sure that they can help with your disability/fear/other physical limits. Amsterdam is known for its tall, narrow houses though, and much appreciation should be given to them. They are truly beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 30, 2006

We saw the website, it looked fantastic. We get there and, oh those rooms are taken, small room at the top and at the back for you, same price though. Paid in advance!

Nice polite helpful hotel staff, but...

Shabby Room, bathroom door had to be shoved to get it to open past the toliet seat ( yes it was that small a bathroom)

The pillows were flat and the bed bumpy. The carpet felt sticky underfoot.

The bedside lamps in the room did not work.

The double bed was two singles pushed together under one double bed cover!

The *stunning* artwork was a print in a cheap frame. The ones on the website were hired maybe?

The breakfast... the sliced meats were curling at the edges, the cheese was darkening on the edges.

This hotel cost us £80 for the room for a night. We expected something special and got cheapo bed and breakfast style.

Very disappointing for our first romantic visit to Amsterdam!

Nells and Bob

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nells_and_Bob
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed here in mid August. Top tip - don't book your hotel in Amsterdam on the hop like us!

The staff were impatient and rude from the off, they were reluctant for me to see the room before parting with € which immediately made me suspicious...

They also charge an outrageous 4% on credit cards.

The room was OK, I had an excellent view of the landing, the building next door and a couple of brick walls.

The cleaner also did their best by opening a window we had closed which then posed a massive burglary risk, as well as drenching the room when it rained.

The cleanliness of this hotel is questionable, I received many flea bites whilst staying here which I cannot account for.

We did not have breakfast as @ €12 each you can eat at lots of better places for less!!

They are doing major road and canal works out front and there is also no car parking.

Amsterdam is a hige city - there are many hotels - have a good look around before deciding to stay here!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ribm7727
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Yuk.
Never again will I stay at this hotel. The carpets were dirty and threadbare, the beds were comfortable, but would have been even better if they had been pushed together properly. The noise coming from the street works was unbearable, and although the staff were aware that they would be taking place overnight, (they told us the next morning) we were given no warning. The noise is of course not the hotel's doing, but it would have been nice to have been warned. The canal view rooms overlook the busy road and then a small stretch of water, but hiking the prices for these rooms really did push the boundries of decency.
I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank boostandish
Reviewed June 13, 2006

This is a two star hotel located in Old Amsterdam. The building is an historic building and consequently there is no lift. Carrying your bags up narrow winding stairs is impossible for one that is handicapped and nearly impossible for the elderly, children and those not having their full strength. It is privatlely owned by two partners. Free internet, as advertised, is a PC adjoining the reception area. While there it went down for almost a day. One of the partners informed us that the "free use" was only for three days of our five day stay. The room we stayed in was not a canal view, however it was very noisy with the noise coming from those adjoining rooms beside, over and above us. We found the room to be of adequate size and housekeeping did a good job of cleaning it daily. The shower, which I am sure was added, is small but adequate for one person. Breakfast was included with our room and was the usual Northern Europe fare of cheeses, meats, breads, etc. The staff did an excellent job in directing us to the various attractions and sites.The hotel site is centrally located: Tour boats across the canal; restaurants right up the road; and trams almost right out the door. In balancing the positives and the negatives, I would have to say that I would look for another hotel should I return to Amsterdam. I think better vaules could be found.

• Stayed: May 2006