“Can't get a better location or vibe!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Greenhouse Effect
Ranked #43 of 225 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Can't get a better location or vibe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend. We loved this place so much that we've already booked our next stay here for when we return to Amsterdam this year. Yes, there are a lot of stairs, and they are really steep, but this is the centre of Amsterdam and that is the way Dutch stairs are. We had the Red Man room and it was really funky and had a great feel to it, the bed was actually 2 twin beds pushed together so I was worried it wouldn't be comfortable but it worked really well. The shared bathroom was clean and there was never a queue. The breakfast was great and available until 12 - a nice bonus for those of us who struggle with mornings. Best of all, the location really cannot be beat. It is in the red light district on a really cute street and there is so much near by. Loved our stay here and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda4273

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Perfect base whilst in Amsterdam for the weekend. In the middle of Dam Square, plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby when you get a slight hunger 'urge' ;)

Very chilled hosts, excellent rooms - we stayed in the Fluo Room (for 3 people); very comfortable and great view from the window.

This is a smoking hotel - though they do not tolerate smoking tobacco inside (this, I hope, is self explanatory!). You get a small discount if your staying at the hotel and then go to the Greenhouse coffee shop next door.

Breakfast - ok, but basic. Variety of bread, cold meats and fruit.

They ask for a deposit (I think this is about 30euros) when you get there, this is given back to you as soon as you leave - make sure you have euros on you, safer to give them 30euros as opposed to your passport!

Within walking distance to everywhere a first time Amsterdam visitor would want to visit really... our favourite coffee shops:

Amnesia (blueberry milkshakes - out of this world!)
Grey Area
Barneys
Greenhouse Effect
Popeyes

We also found a really fantastic basement coffeeshop that you walk downstairs to get to... all covered in graffiti - red and yellow and green... no idea where it is or what it's called (lol!) if anyone could let me know - would appreciate it!

Room Tip: Fluo room is great if three of you. Steep stairs so best to stay on first floor if you have trouble...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zéna B
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place don't need explanation, it is just the perfect place in the perfect location!!!!!!!!
Amazing, if you are in Amsterdam you have to go!!!!!!!
Here you can find the best Amsterdam way of life!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Califfornia56
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

With only 24 hours to spend in Amsterdam, I did a ton of looking online for that perfect place to stay. After quite a bit of digging I came across The Greenhouse Effect. One of the main perks was that it was within a few minutes walk of Centraal Station, it was a just a stroll through a beautiful part of town to get to my accommodations.

The Greenhouse Effect is actually three separate businesses wrapped under 1 umbrella: A hotel, a bar, and a coffeeshop. Stay at the hotel and get happy hour pricing on your drinks or a discount on the goodies at the coffeeshop.

Here is the best kept secret: In the back of the bar there is a sliding glass door and booths with an open center, facing towards the street and bar. THAT is where you go if you are traveling solo or even in a pair, and want to mingle with other folks. I found that the coffeeshop was too narrow to encourage conversation with strangers, but the back room of the bar was absolutely perfect for fostering conversation. This is also the area that the hotel serves breakfast in the mornings and is smoke-friendly as well (when food isn't being served, I'm assuming).

I stayed in the single en-suite, and it was pretty good. I wasn't in the room much, but it did for a place to sleep and a private shower. The bathroom facilities in the room were tiny, tiny - but it was PRIVATE and clean. The TV seemed to be out, but again, I wasn't there to watch TV. I had a most excellent view of the moon to the left of my bedroom window (which faced the alley on the side of the building).

The only thing I was not happy about: The bedding. It was a bottom sheet and a duvet. In my world, duvets aren't washed daily - so I felt like I was sleeping next to something that someone else had slept next to the night before. I suggest a sleep sack.

There is a church near, so you will hear the chiming of the clock a few times each hour. It really is charming.

The people that ran this place were top notch, salt of the earth. It will absolutely be the first place that I look up upon my return to Amsterdam. I only wish I had spent an extra day there. That city has my heart.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Emily W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is the perfect hotel for a break in Amsterdam. It has everything you need for a citybreak.

The location is perfect, it is on warmostraat which is one of the main streets for coffeeshops, bars and shops. If you turn left out of the hotel then your first left - the street has a great takeaway for chips, pizza, kebabs etc and a FEBO right at the end! There is also two supermarkets on this street as well.

We stayed in a double en suite for 2 nights but due to availability we had to change rooms for the second night. We actually enjoyed this as we got to see two rooms!

Our first room was 'Arabian Nights' Room 1 (first floor), it was a cute little room with pink and arabian decorations with coloured lamps. There was a mini fridge with mini bar and colour tv. There weren't tea making facilities but as we don't drink tea so this didn't bother us at all. There was a small toilet & shower, both good size for small room.

Our second room was Room 6 on second floor - Turkish delight and was a little bigger than room 1 and was a lot brighter with more daylight. Neither of the rooms had a view but for the amount of time you spend in these rooms they really are more than enough!

As always with Amsterdam the bar/hotel staff were really chilled out and very helpful. We didn't realise until we got there that breakfast was included each morning. It was a continental breakfast and I had toast & boiled eggs both mornings. There was fruit, cereal, tea, coffee, cold meats, jams, rolls, croissants...

With everywhere in Amsterdam the stairs for the hotel are really steep. It wasn't an issue for us but we are in our twenties.

Overall this hotel has been our favourite of all our stays in Amsterdam! We will definitely return here.

Room Tip: We has a better sleep in room 1 as in room 6 our neighbours were rather noisy in the morning but tha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Squeezychanel
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to Amsterdam loads of times and we found this place really nice to stay in as a couple. We had the apartment just a 5 min walk from the hotel but still close to the centre of town. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the prices at the bar were really reasonable for being in the centre of town. We would/will happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siobhan W
West Lothian, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My boyfriend booked us a 3 night stay here for my first trip to Amsterdam and I was really impressed. We would definitely stay here again!
I was a little nervous about what to expect after reading some of the reviews (and knowing my standards are much higher than my bfs) but was really pleasantly surprised on arrival!
The lady in the bar who checked us in couldn't have been nicer as was the same for the other staff we met when popping in and out.
We stayed in the Turkish room and it was basic but really nice and comfortable. The room was bright and nicely decorated, really we couldn't have asked for more.
The room and adjoining toilet and shower rooms were very clean and we had fresh towels for every day of our stay. A massive plus for me!
We enjoyed a continental breakfast each day of our stay but didn't spend much time in the bar area other than that.
I would definitely recommend The Greenhouse Effect and will more than likely stay here again on our next trip! :)

• Stayed September 2013