The Greenhouse Effect
Hotel Ben(Amsterdam)
Hotel Luxer(Amsterdam)
Travel Hotel(Amsterdam)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe red light districtretro roommini barnoisy at nightsteep stairshotel bardam squarebreakfast is servedclose to the train stationfirst floorperfect locationthe heart of the citysmoking roomtop floorapartmentweedhostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My boyfriend booked us a 3 night stay here for my first trip to Amsterdam and I was really impressed. We would definitely stay here again!
I was a little nervous about what to expect after reading some of the reviews (and knowing my standards are much higher than my bfs) but was really pleasantly surprised on arrival!
The lady in the bar who checked us in couldn't have been nicer as was the same for the other staff we met when popping in and out.
We stayed in the Turkish room and it was basic but really nice and comfortable. The room was bright and nicely decorated, really we couldn't have asked for more.
The room and adjoining toilet and shower rooms were very clean and we had fresh towels for every day of our stay. A massive plus for me!
We enjoyed a continental breakfast each day of our stay but didn't spend much time in the bar area other than that.
I would definitely recommend The Greenhouse Effect and will more than likely stay here again on our next trip! :)

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank louf31
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was a bit worried traveling in Amsterdam alone, but everything worked out great, in part because of the Greenhouse Effect hostel. A few minutes from Centraal Station and from Dam Square, so everything is either a short walk or one tram ride away.
I was in the Red Light room: the room themes are really cool, and add to the atmosphere. Besides being "cool", the room was also very clean, and though it was small, it was big enough for one person to and all her things. It's relatively quiet, but walls are quite thin, so you can hear your neighbors if they are being noisy.
I checked in at 11am or so, and they let me into my room already, and even let me have breakfast that very morning.
Wifi in the bar is good, and I was even able to pick up on it in my room.
Stairs are steep, but that's expected in Amsterdam.
The only tip: If you like having nice shampoo/conditioner, bring your own, since here it's an all-in-one soap/shampoo/etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank saturnian13
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the 2 person apartment on newmaarkt - great apt, all you need for a short stay in a great 'people watching' location! Linen & towels clean. Definitely would go back. Obviously if you dont like the smell of smoke or the look of Prostitutes plus small stairs this isnt the place for you!!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Helpful staff , nice clean rooms.

I've stayed in several rooms in the hotel and now also the apartment/studios located 20 metres from the main hotel.

A nice breakfast was available uptil noon if you fancy a lie in one day.

You get hotel discount for various things in the bar/coffeeshop.

It's location is great as its right in the centre , no trams or taxis needed , and 5 minutes walk from the Central Station.

Here you get a true taste of Amsterdam rather than the Corporate Hotel chain dull effect.

I always make this my number 1 choice when i visit Amsterdam

Room Tip: There's pictures on the website of the rooms so have a look as they are all designed differently.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jason H
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just got back from a 3day break in Amsterdam staying at 'The Greenhouse Effect'... great location, nice friendly staff, clean room (I was in the 'red light' room)... for people who know what Amsterdam is all about this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo