“Excellent”

Reggio Calabria, Italy
“Excellent”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Absolutely recommended! Four strengths:
1) The cleanliness 2) The courtesy 3) The position 4) The free hot drinks to be consumed in the room. The hotel has the classic Dutch architectural appearance of the houses, and this makes it very fascinating! Cute cat owner's going to heat up the door of room 101! I will return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is officially the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in youth hostels better than this place. The rooms are extremely small and not suitable for anyone who is even the slightest bit claustrophobic or even close to 6ft tall. The staff are rude and dismissive and have no interest in dealing with complaints. Access to the rooms is via a narrow winding staircase that I can not believe complies with the fire regulations of a first world country. The owners claim the hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are equipped with "state of the art furniture and technology". This is correct if you consider peeling wallpaper, threadbare carpets, a TV screen smaller than an IPAD and a ceiling you hit your head off when you stand up state of the art. I was supposedly in a twin room, but the room was so narrow they had to stagger the beds so you could walk around them. If the room was more than 2meters wide I would be surprised. In summary, I would advise against anyone staying here, don't let the supposed central location fool you, you are not getting cheap and cheerful, you are getting cheap and very nasty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steph881

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 29, 2013

So we booked this hotel based on the location, its close to major station but away enuf to enjoy some quiet time. The rooms are unbelievably tiny and the bathroom even more. I am quite petite, but still managing to shower without hitting elbow on the walls was a task. We got a back facing room overlooking someone's yard, which was well maintained so not so much of an eye sore; but disappointed not to get one of the canal facing rooms.
There is no elevator, if u have heavy luggage (v did unfortunately), it is quite a pain to haul it up the narrow steep stairs.
Breakfast is overpriced.
The only good thing about this place is free beverages - juice, coffee and chocolate. It was cold and hot chocolate made things just right for us. The place is clean too.

Room Tip: If you have to, ask for a canal facing room on the ground/ first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

When I booked I wasn't advised about the stairs. I stayed in an attic. Were about eight bids of stairs and no one helps you to rise or fall with the bags. No one can say that they offers breakfast because in fact they offer only cereals, that you have to share with a cat. at least clean and the price is good.

• Stayed September 2012
Sunshine coast
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend and I were travelling around Europe and thought this looked like an upmarket and convenient hotel for a few nights. We were told it was just a 10 minute walk from the train station (more like 40) then we had to deal with no lift and narrow stairs. The room was ridiculously small and there was just a small amount of toilet paper when we arrived. Unlimited tea and coffee which was a bonus and the staff were pleasant. But we were very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were 3 guys booked into a quad room for the night which was ample spacious and served our purposes. The room was clean & tidy & adequrely served its purpose. The bathroom was a bit cramped with little leg room for the wc & the door seemed to open the wrong way, which meant that you you had to open it 180 degrees to get in and out! The only other thing worthy of mention was the narrow spiralling stairs - not great if you have had a few beers!

The second night we returned to find our room door left open which was a little concerning, particularly as the room safes did not work! Breakfast was not included but there was access to free tea & coffee in the dining area.

Location was convenient - everything seemed to be a reasonable walking distance - nothing no more than 30 mins but the hotel does rent bikes which might have been useful if my friends could all ride!

Parking is an absolute nightmare, you can find places during the day but very difficult in the evening if you do manage to find a spot, it could be quite far and also very expensive - €4 per hour & the machines don't take cash - card only! Saying the that the hotel does offer a parking service at €31 per day!

I would definately recommend the hotel to others as it was fairly good value for money!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Armsc
New Delhi
Reviewed June 14, 2013

While we didn't stay here ultimately, we didn't have a very good experience.

We had booked this hotel through booking.com around 15 days before the due date. Also exchanged some emails with them with a request for a room which didn't require too much climbing as we were With heavy luggage .

However when we reached the hotel, with some difficulty , as someone gave us wrong walking directions from the closest metro station, we were told by the reception staff that our booking has been cancelled! And this cancellation was done by me! Which I was obviously very shocked and was carrying a confirmed booking printout . He Also said that such things happen sometimes. He checked with the other hotel they have ie ITC and asked us to go there, which took us 15 minutes and wasn't easy to find. Once we reached ITC we were ok but we paid the same amount in ITC as we had booked hermitage for, so don't know if they both are of the me standard and quality

I contacted booking.com and they said the booking indeed was cancelled by the hotel due to failure of credit card authorisation and was un reachable. To which I replied why was credit card authorisation left to me last day ( could have given an alternate card) and the fate that I was of plane for 24 hours, was the reason of not being reachable. Booking.com did finally apologise on behalf of the hotel and for the hotel staff giving the wrong information as to why the room was cancelled

I guess the hotel did an over booking. But we still had a great time and stay at Amsterdam with ITC hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple