“noisy, airconditioning not working.”
Review of Hotel Atlantis

Hotel Atlantis
Ranked #105 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was awful. We were on a main road with loud trams clanking past. We had to keep the window open as the airconditioning was not working. If we closed the window we were so hot. So our break was ruined by lack of sleep. The bathroom light did not work either.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Atlantis

Reviewed April 28, 2014

When I came here I wasn't expecting much. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms have been recently refurbished and everything looks smart and clean and well thought out. I saw 3 different rooms because I was with friends and they where all good. Two also had access to an small balcony which in Amsterdam is a rare thing.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The room was a little small but we only used it to shower and sleep, so that was not a big deal. The only complaint I have is about the shower drain. Something was wrong and the water takes a long time to drain. The whole bathroom flooded. We left and came back about 4 hours later and the floor was still wet in some spots. We told the front desk but I don't think they did anything - we had the same problem the next morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2014

last year we traveled as a couple to amsterdam the room is very small but there is a nice terrace - the hotel is modern and close to a tram station.
i dont thing this hotel is for a family vacation - two people no more!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the atlantis for a weekend get away - 3 girls. Arrived late Friday night, got a train to central and then a cab to the hotel. Paid the cab driver and asked him to wait for us, gave him extra cash - obviously he drove off so don't make that mistake!!! Very quick check in and went off to our room, to literally dump our stuff and go back out. What a dungeon room we were given!!! It was a triple room either room 7 or 9 I can't quite remember... No window in the room, damp all coming through the walls. Other wise it was nice on the eye, decorated well. The smell of mould however, was unbearable. We retuned late that night (04:30am) so we decided we just needed sleep. I could not sleep I tossed and turned all night and then woke up early, each breath I took I gagged. My bed had exactly the same damp feeling when I woke up. I must have smelt horrendous! My friend woke up (has asthma) and had an asthma attack as she struggled to breath. I went to reception and the kind people promptly change us to a triple room on the first floor. I might add, this room looked more like the picture from when we booked. The staff were very apologetic. Gave us all a free brekkie for the next morning, and my friend a coffee. Very pleasant staff in the hotel, that dungeon room does however let them down. My suggestion would be to use it as a store room. Or fix the damp problem. Never have I encountered so much damp. Or a smell like it. Amsterdam as a whole is very busy, and there are ALOT of pick pockets! Keep belongings to a minimum at all times and keep hold of all zips. These people are professionals and they are everywhere trying to dip handbags! My suggestion would be to get a train to central and then jump on a number 4 tram (heading to station RAI) then you need to get off at centruibiaan. It's a 2 min walk from there to the hotel. At central there is a tourist guide / ticket office, go in there and buy a 24 hour tram pass. You can buy this and then it's only active from when you first swipe, and then it will last for the next 24 hours. This costs 7.50€. If you buy a 1hr ticket on a tram this is 2.80€ and this is the max duration you can buy on the tram. We went to the ice bar and did a canal evening trip, both very nice, not sure too much about the canal trip though... Friends have been to the zoo and done the hinekan experience. Both were highly recommended, we just ran out of time. We went to Anne franks house on Sunday (our flight wasn't until 9pm) but we got there and I must say the queue was a good 4 hours. That I didn't have the patience for!!! I have since been told that the best time to go is about 2 hours before it shuts!!! 2 highly recommended coffee shops - "baba" which is round the back of the grasshopper. "Easy times", I think is near Anne franks house... Can't be too sure, but well worth it! Pancake corner (bar) is great, you can't buy, but you can smoke. And they do very good food for very reasonable prices. The staff are friendly and they actually said to us, tourists can do what they want when I asked if we could smoke. Very pretty city. I am very much looking forward to returning in September. I just really hope no one has to ever endure the dungeon room. My final suggestion would be for a member of the atlantis staff to stay over night in that room. And then tell me that they think it's humane I just want to end by thanking the staff very much for the swift room change, it was very much appreciated and hassle free. Sorry I didn't catch names, but you know who you are!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Chazie02
Reviewed March 31, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
3  Thank Debbie D
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The first room I got was, in what I understood from the smell and condition, in the basement.
I refused to get another "deluxe" room on floor 0. Got a "normal" room on 1 floor. The drain in the shower was out of order, lot of water.
Breakfast was not included in the 150 € room rate. But in the end I conclude that it was not worth the 9 € at all.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business