“Rokin Hotel, Amsterdam”
Review of Rokin Hotel

Rokin Hotel
Ranked #164 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed in Rokin for a long weekend. The location is great, partly noisy, but not disturbing. The rooms are in need for some improvements (TV did not work, but didn't miss it), but overall a clean place. Breakfast was enough for us.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MMaarja

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Spent the 2nd week of November is my favorite hotel in Amsterdam as I have been here several times before (5 times since 2010). Clean and friendly hotel which can be booked online via their website (and as it states online they do give a discount if you book in advance). Met by friendly staff who will assist any tourists with querries about Amsterdam. Rooms although basic are comfortable and very clean and come with a safe which you don't have to pay for.

Breakfast consists of a wide variety of produce from fresh fruits & breads, etc to scrambled eggs, bacon bits, hotcakes, etc so they do cater for most peoples tastes. (too many items to list as to what they stock) and unlike 'other hotels' breakfast is included in the booking fee.

Location wise: this hotel is only a few minutes walk from the Central station (just past Dam Square) and the flower markets are another few minutes stroll just south of hotel. Most shopping areas are within easy reach by foot from this hotel: from Waterloo flea market, to Rembrandt Square, Kalverstraat (main shopping street) to Museum quarters (and including Redlight district, just don't have cameras on view here).

Although check out is 11am, they do offer a (locked) luggage storage room in which you can leave your cases if your flight is not due until later in the day.

I will definitely be back here next Summer :)

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel have a view of the Rokin (street) but can be noisier due to traffic (and cur...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed one night and I chose this hotel for location and decent reviews. Room was a nice roof top single, Cinderella style, with a nice wood log view from the bed. Room was clean enough (I wonder why the night lamp is dusty, which is something we guests always notice). Issues: noise from the street and mini sink I could not properly wash my hand, shower also not ok, with tent and your feet on the bare floor. For these two reasons I would not return. Breakfast was included and very nice, in a basement roon which is well kept.

Room Tip: ask if they have renovated bathrooms, ask if they have quiet rooms not facing Rokin
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great location with the hotel 10 minutes walk from central station. Small basic clean rooms with a breakfast as would be expected with the price.
Only major gripe would be the horrendous bed!! Ended up sleeping on the floor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was the worst hotel I've ever been in... Truth it's location is just perfect but the elevator only goes to 3rd floor so you need to carry up your baggage through a tiny stairs to your room, the room was freezing as they do not turn on the heater (only one) for you, the old man in the recepcion is one of the meanest and rudest persons I have ever met in my life!!! We were stucked in a museum becuse of the heavy rain so we called to tell them we were going to check out a bit later (only half an hour of delay) and when we got to the hotel he started shouting at us and insulting us.. When we aske for the complaint forms because of his rudeness he sais they didn't have that an that we were not entitled to complain if we were late... So in fact the rain was our fault!!!! Unbelievable!!! I do not recommend this hotel AT ALL!! Even though it is very near from Dam Square...

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Mingmita
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in October 2013. We booked single rooms and were given rooms on the fourth floor. The lift goes to the third floor then there is a tight winding staircase to climb with your luggage to the top floor. Luckily our luggage was quite small and we are relatively fit so it wasn't too difficult but it could have been difficult for more elderly travellers or people with more luggage. The location was great - ten minutes walk from central station and close to restaurants and bars. The room was small but okay. Breakfast was good value and food was better than average. Highlights were bacon, scrambled eggs and freshly made waffles. Coffee was very good too and you could make your own mocha by adding some of the hot chocolate! Staff were friendly and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room below the top floor (4th).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank malcy63
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Rokin in October in a single room for two nights. The main reason why I chose this hotel is because of the price relative to its location. It's a short walk to Dam square and Central Station, with trams nearby.

The room was clean but quite dark, even with all of the lights and lamps turned on. I had a room facing the main street, and the street noise came through quite clearly. There was some construction work going on when I was there, although only on weekdays.

There was no proper shower cubicle, just a curtain that you pull around to enclose a corner of the bathroom. It was less messy than I expected, and not much water went around the bathroom floor.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Although for some odd reason the housekeeper folded my pjs and put them *underneath* the pillow. It took me a while to find them.

If you're looking for an affordable and convenient hotel, Hotel Rokin could meet your needs.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo