“Perfect for short stay”

Ranked #166 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for short stay”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for a night in January. The rooms were comfortable and warm, a bit basic but good value. Breakfast is very basic with limited choices but adequate.
The first room we were assigned was on the 3rd floor but facing the back which I didn't like so I asked for a different room. The lady at reception handed me 3 or 4 different room keys and I got to choose which room I wanted out of the ones available so I was very happy about that.

Overall a good value stay and very central location :)

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Varshee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Aalst, Belgium
Reviewed March 4, 2013

At November 2012 we where at Amsterdam for a weekend at the Rokin Hotel, this hotel is situated at Rokin ( name of the street ) wich is only 1 km of the Amsterdam central station and very close to the shopping streets and the malls. Madame Tussauds is just behind the corner and worth a visit. The Leidse plein ( square ) is the most popular square in the neighbourhood.
Breakfast was good and enough choice, coffee, thee, orange juise, chocolate milk and etc are available

Room Tip: Try to ask a room at the backside, the windows are made from single glass layers and with good weath...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David D
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Spent the weekend with a couple of friends, great price right in the heart of Amsterdam - 5 minute walk from the central station and 3 minutes from the main shopping areas. room was clean and warm, breakfast was great. only problem was the club next door - friday night is a big night for them and it sounds as though the music is playing in the room.. if you can't beat them - join them! (:
sorry to say it's not handicapped friendly - high and narrow stairs, dinning hall is on the bottom floor (sort of underground), and although theu have a lift - it doesn't reach it.

all in all, if you're on a budget it's a good choice

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank didsbox
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel was perfect in everything despite the room size is small but it doesn't matter as when you are in Amsterdam you need a clean hotel with good service & the location & this hotel was perfect in thses three aspects.

Room Tip: there is some works on the street so to get a quite room you need to have it either on the 4th floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Essam H
Greater Manchester
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on my first trip to Amsterdam. Will stay here again.

The location is perfect for anything you are there for. The rooms are small and the rooms on the back are a little dark but you use it as a base so that's fine.

The hotel staff were pleasant and couldn't do enough for you.

The breakfast was basic continental but what was provided was very nice.

• Stayed March 2012
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many budget hotels in Amsterdam, the Hotel Rokin is head and shoulders above the rest.
The on-line booking was straightforward, check in was easy and there was a lift which is unusual in Amsterdam.
Our double room was really warm and fairly spacious compared to other similar priced hotels in the area. The bed was comfy, the shower was hot, there is free wi-fi, hairdryer, TV and safe.
Downstairs is a lovely breakfast room with lots of choices, this is included in the price.
Location is perfect for all attractions, we would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Rokin and the staff

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor which appears to be newly decorated
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joannebo
Queens, New York, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I ended up "Stranded" in Europe by Hurricane Sandy at the end of a Barcelona trip. Our return flight was through Amsterdam so we decided to get a budget hotel there for a couple of days and wait out the storm. We ended up choosing Hotel Rokin which turned out to be an overall good choice with a couple of notes.

First, the location is AMAZING - right in the heart of Amsterdam, close to amazing Restaurants, cafes, gastropubs, and, of course, coffee shops. A short walk from the Red Light District or the Flower Market, whichever you prefer.

Despite what some reviews have said, I found the breakfast there to be above adequate. Nothing special, but better than the "continental breakfast" offered in many American hotels.

They did ask for credit card payment up front despite the hold through the booking site for the reservation. This was odd to me, but I'm not experienced at traveling in this area so maybe it's normal. They also had what seemed to me the strange practice of collecting your room key as you leave and letting you pick it up when you came back. I'm not sure the exact reason for this, but it doesn't feel like a great security measure since it may be an entirely different desk clerk when you return and all you need to do is tell them a room number. If all the photo gear I had with me wasn't insured it would have caused me some concern I think.

The room was pretty tiny and I would describe it as spartan. Pretty plain and not incredibly welcoming. It had everything you needed of course but managed to feel slightly less homely than a Motel 6. Since we were only there two days and extending our vacations and, thus, our budgets, this is not really a complaint and it had no adverse effect. I will say that this is perfectly fine if you're going to be there for a couple of days and are on a budget - when all you need a base of operations for your visit more than a warm refuge at the end of a long day. For an extended trip, though, I'd look for something a bit larger and less stark.

I'm not sure how regular this is for small European or Dutch hotels, but the bathroom was a little awkward for me. It was wall-to-floor tile extending the shower. In other words, there was no barrier between the shower, sink, or toilet. It was all one connected thing. It's not really a problem, just strange to me.

The only thing that I'd list as a complaint - and it didn't really affect me, though it would many people - is the construction noise. All along Rokin Straat in front of the hotel and other businesses nearby, there is a great deal of construction going on. This won't be a thing forever I'm sure, but check before you book if it's likely to be a problem for you. In the morning there's a lot of noise from the construction and if you're a light sleeper and/or likely to want to sleep late after nights partying in the city, then this may be a problem for you.

So, to summarize, I found this an adequate hotel for the price, best suited to short stays, in an outstanding location.

Room Tip: Construction probably won't be too much of a problem if you manage a room in the upper floors. T...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple