New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #173 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Greater Manchester
“Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on my first trip to Amsterdam. Will stay here again.

The location is perfect for anything you are there for. The rooms are small and the rooms on the back are a little dark but you use it as a base so that's fine.

The hotel staff were pleasant and couldn't do enough for you.

The breakfast was basic continental but what was provided was very nice.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many budget hotels in Amsterdam, the Hotel Rokin is head and shoulders above the rest.
The on-line booking was straightforward, check in was easy and there was a lift which is unusual in Amsterdam.
Our double room was really warm and fairly spacious compared to other similar priced hotels in the area. The bed was comfy, the shower was hot, there is free wi-fi, hairdryer, TV and safe.
Downstairs is a lovely breakfast room with lots of choices, this is included in the price.
Location is perfect for all attractions, we would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Rokin and the staff

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor which appears to be newly decorated
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joannebo
Queens, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I ended up "Stranded" in Europe by Hurricane Sandy at the end of a Barcelona trip. Our return flight was through Amsterdam so we decided to get a budget hotel there for a couple of days and wait out the storm. We ended up choosing Hotel Rokin which turned out to be an overall good choice with a couple of notes.

First, the location is AMAZING - right in the heart of Amsterdam, close to amazing Restaurants, cafes, gastropubs, and, of course, coffee shops. A short walk from the Red Light District or the Flower Market, whichever you prefer.

Despite what some reviews have said, I found the breakfast there to be above adequate. Nothing special, but better than the "continental breakfast" offered in many American hotels.

They did ask for credit card payment up front despite the hold through the booking site for the reservation. This was odd to me, but I'm not experienced at traveling in this area so maybe it's normal. They also had what seemed to me the strange practice of collecting your room key as you leave and letting you pick it up when you came back. I'm not sure the exact reason for this, but it doesn't feel like a great security measure since it may be an entirely different desk clerk when you return and all you need to do is tell them a room number. If all the photo gear I had with me wasn't insured it would have caused me some concern I think.

The room was pretty tiny and I would describe it as spartan. Pretty plain and not incredibly welcoming. It had everything you needed of course but managed to feel slightly less homely than a Motel 6. Since we were only there two days and extending our vacations and, thus, our budgets, this is not really a complaint and it had no adverse effect. I will say that this is perfectly fine if you're going to be there for a couple of days and are on a budget - when all you need a base of operations for your visit more than a warm refuge at the end of a long day. For an extended trip, though, I'd look for something a bit larger and less stark.

I'm not sure how regular this is for small European or Dutch hotels, but the bathroom was a little awkward for me. It was wall-to-floor tile extending the shower. In other words, there was no barrier between the shower, sink, or toilet. It was all one connected thing. It's not really a problem, just strange to me.

The only thing that I'd list as a complaint - and it didn't really affect me, though it would many people - is the construction noise. All along Rokin Straat in front of the hotel and other businesses nearby, there is a great deal of construction going on. This won't be a thing forever I'm sure, but check before you book if it's likely to be a problem for you. In the morning there's a lot of noise from the construction and if you're a light sleeper and/or likely to want to sleep late after nights partying in the city, then this may be a problem for you.

So, to summarize, I found this an adequate hotel for the price, best suited to short stays, in an outstanding location.

Room Tip: Construction probably won't be too much of a problem if you manage a room in the upper floors. T...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CMDurham
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I wanted to see as much of Amsterdam as it was possible within less than 2 days.
And Rokin was exactly the type of place for that.
On one hand, the hotel is located in the very Center of the city within walking distance to all of the main attractions.
On the other hand, the rooms are really tiny, so I spent as much time sightseeing as I was physically able to do.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank EgorParienko
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

First impressions were poor as despite giving my credit card number during the booking online process as a guarantee, the hotel requested me to pay total cost of my stay in advance on checking in. I have no idea if this is standard procedure or the hotel did not trust me.

My annoyance was assuaged to a certain extent by the room itself which was clean, comfortable and decent sized for Amsterdam standards.

The Wi-Fi signal on the top floor was faint with the connection slow and dropping off frequently. The TV channel choice wasn’t great with around half the channels having poor reception.

I thought the breakfast choice was a little limited compared to comments from other Trip Advisor reviewers especially on breakfast cereals and morning goods. However the pancakes, admittedly from a packet, and the coffee were truly excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear will be quiter to due contruction work on the metro at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank smiertspionen
Minsk, Belarus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 (sleepless) nights. The main pros of this place is location - right in the center, a few meters form the Dam Square. Another pros was lift. Traditional dutch stairs developed for alpinists (or fairies - they can fly :)).
The main cons are:
- construction works right near the hotel. I had a room at back but it didn't help so I didn't sleep even one night there due to a terrible technical noise
- hot water supply. My tiny room was on the forth floor and each morning I was waiting for 5 - 7 minutes for a hot water
- WiFi router stopped working on the first day of my arrival and it took them 3 days to replace it. By fact I didn't have internet in my room during the whole stay. I've been there for a business trip and good Internet connection was very important
- after all breakfast could be definitely better.

Room Tip: I can't recommend any room there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Michael_68

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Rokin for four days. Pros are location, cleanliness, comfortable bed, and excellent breakfast. Cons are construction on street (ask for a room at back) and old stained carpet in room. It was great to have a great selection of good food for breakfast before heading out for the day. It was also great to be so close to everything as the hotel is only a ten minute walk from Centraal Station. We would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple