WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Kooyk Hotel

Kooyk Hotel
Ranked #217 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Cheap and not cheerfull”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We booked this hotel for a long weekend stay. Our room was clean but very basic, nothing like the one we were led to believe we were getting on the internet. The toilet down the hall leaked water all over the floor and I had to constantly place paper towels on the floor to stop getting my slippers soaking wet. The toilet was like a broom cupboard as was the shower! The carpets and decor were old and tatty but the overall cleanliness was ok. The staff were rude but I put this down to a lack of correct English translation as I found rather too many Dutch people on the rude side!!!! One example was on the day we were leaving we hung around in the reception a little longer than the guy wanted us to and was told we had to leave due to it not being a waiting room, in the next breath he said if we come back again to come and stay again. Urrrrrrrm no thanks as you were so kind and friendly just now I dont think I will! Breakfast was a constant ask for items to be replenished and it was overall a very average place indeed. I wont stay again

Room Tip: If you want no frills, lack of facilities and no smiles head here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
kooyk, Owner at Kooyk Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
dear madam,
thank you for your review.
I would like to point out that you did book a budget room, with shared facilites including breakfast.
Lets get a few points straight.
Your room was perfectly clean supplied with clean linnen and towels.
You did not book a superior room or one of our new ensuite rooms ground floor.
The room has shared facities your price range was 27,50-32,50 pp
We have a listed builiding, the shower is small, I do admit, but it has to do with it being a listed building we are not allowed to change the format of the shower room.
You had a very good price202,58 euro for four persons which is approx 25, euro per person including breakfast and city tax no hidden extras.
The toilet.
I am sure you noticed the notice outside the toilet, please come down to the reception if there is a problem with the toilet. This problem is caused by peple not being able to use a toilet properly and waiting for the toilet to flush, impatience which will of course cause flooding, which in your case did. I spend so much time cleaning up after people who do not know how to use a toilet properly.I apolgise for any inconvience caused and as i AM a much travelled person I would go to the hotel reception to ask for the toilet to be cleaned.
You did not.
Breakfast, it is a full buffet, with all foods provided as much as you wished.
I was told you came late for breakast and of course at 9 45 the staff did their best to help you.
I take exception to the fact you said our staff was rude, we are all very helpful and try to facilitate as much as possible.
i WILL speak to budget places.com as we have specifically sold this room as a budget room how dissapointing.
You got a bargin.
The room was painted may I add by a very nice english gentleman who has taken execption to your comment tatty....
Very insuliting indeed.
Thank you again.
kind regards
MF Moonen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a nice little B&B about a 5 minute canal walk from Leidesplein Tram stop. Trams from Leidesplein to Dam Square, Anne Frank House and Central Station run about every 3 minutes. There are 3 lines doing this route. 1,2 and 5. A day ticket costs 7.5 Euros, 2 days 12 Euros and 3 days 16.5 Euros.

On the hotel itself, I had a very good stay. I stayed in room 24, which was a single. You get a wash basin, a tv a nice chair, a nice bed. No tea/coffee facilities, free wifi which worked well. A nice breakfast, including scrambled eggs, toast, various cold meats and cheese/fruit. No bacon/sausages. The owners seemed very nice and obviously care about their place. I found it very clean, and between 3 people on the top floor we shared one toilet and two showers, which all worked very well and were very clean. The stairs are fairly narrow, but not too bad.

If you want a cheap B&B in an amazing location with all the basics covered, then this is the place for you. If you want a luxury hotel then this is not your place. I have stayed at the Millennium Times Square in New York and the Ritz in London, and this is obviously not that so don't expect that, but for what it is trying to be it is very good at. Some of these reviews annoy me, because its like they expect the Ritz!

This is a clean hotel, in excellent location, with a tv(20 European channels including eng lang BBC1 BBC2, National Geographic, MTV, Nickleodeon and a movie channel), free wifi, a nice comfy bed, a chair, a wash basin and breakfast included. At this price range it was exactly what I wanted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For people who want advice on the city itself please read the following, I know it would've helped me.

Trams are definitely the best way to travel in terms of cost and efficiency. You need a GVB multi-day tram ticket you get from Centraal next to the main ticket office. Cycling costs about 8 euros for 3 hours and then 12 euros for 24 hours rising up after that. I found cycling a great way to enjoy Amsterdam but it was a little tricky navigating around the roads with pedestrians and cars everywhere. I would not recommend hiring bikes with little kids unless you stick to vondelpark or outside Dam Square. I also tried Canal bike which was a little pedal boat and costs 8 Euros for 1 hour, it was great fun, definitely recommend, a unique way of seeing the city, but be careful of the big boats!

The location here is perfect, Leidesplein is easily the best square to stay near, it has a nice selection of bars, restaurants, hotels and shops and is right next to vondelpark, a nice tranquil retreat from the hectic busy city. I have stayed in Dam square before and found it pretty hectic and claustrophobic and the area a little shabby. This is a nice classy area situated between the museums, vondelpark and the hectic city.

The two things you have to do are the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House. These are two things unique to Amsterdam and are pretty mind blowing in their own way. All the other attractions, I have probably seen better versions of elsewhere.

The cost of a train from Schiphol to Centraal is 4.4 euros and they run every 15 minutes. Also be careful with the cost of alcohol, a single Bacardi and coke at Schiphol airport cost 9 euros.

Hope this helps anyone who reads this.

Room Tip: Room 24 is a single room on the 3rd floor with a nice big window you can open, and you have 2 shower...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank psmithy491
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Me and my friends have booked a room in this hotel cause it looked pretty decent on the photographs. When we arrived our jaws have dropped to the floor, room was dirty, old and absolutely disgusting. Uncomfortable mattresses, instead of a garden view we got...well...no view at all. Blonde lady who was one of the owners was so extremely rude I could not believe this was happening, we left the hotel after one night and got our money back after few days. We switched to Sphinx hotel instead it was so much better than horrible Kooyk (that must be dutch for nightmare) I would never recommend it to anyone, absolute scam, you won't get what you pay for or what is advertised

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank MichaalM

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels