“Christian hostel”

Ranked #30 of 234 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Rhône-Alpes
“Christian hostel”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

It's a christian hostel... no drugs and no alcohol, curefew... It didn't mention that when I booked online.

The hostel is located in the Red Light District. Strange people ! Veeeeery slow checking in. No drugs, you're sure ?

Room (two persons) was clean. Everything was "ok". Smoke detector, so don't even think about it. Bathroom is on the same floor. Nice chicks ! I'm joking.

Good place to stay for girls, safe hostel (big brother is watching you go poo).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Strict rules
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank mjrp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
Reviewed December 20, 2007

The hostel/hotel in Amsterdam are extremely expensive. Nearly all of the hostel would only have mixed dorm which I really could not stand. I also heard a lot of story about smoking pot in the hostels, which really draws me away from the hostel.
When I came across this hostel, I felt that would be the perfect one since it is drug and alcohol free, provided same sex dorm and with curfew ( I know most of you hate this), which can provide me more safety as a solo traveler.

When I contacted the property, I found out that they offer two-bed dorm as well which is only two euro more than the four-bed dorm. The hostel was centrally located. It only takes me a few minutes to walk from the Central Station to there. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even though it really takes them a while to check in/check out. The room was extremely clean (really extremely). I used the shower very early in the morning and I don't think it is dirty. The breakfast is quite impressive with the price that I paid. There is hot breakfast every day.

Please remember this is still the hostel, therefore, they are not fancy or anything. But it would provide everything you need in basic. Also, if you really want to have a wild life, you would not like this hostel.

I only stayed there for one night and I love this hostel. I will come back to this hostel if I travel to Amsterdam again.

• Liked — Location, price and the
  • Disliked — The speed of the staff service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank dordor
Scotland, Inverness
Reviewed December 5, 2007

The Good

• 8 minute walk from centraal station.
• Cheap Rooms
• Free or/included hot breakfast, i.e. French toast with preserves, egg and toast, nothing big.
• Snack bar was cheap and gave good serving, 5 Euros for a burger, chips and a drink and other meals.
• Staff did not push their religious beliefs on me.
• Cheap amenities, i.e. ear plugs (had to buy them coz my mate snores like a series of jackhammers), razors, shower gel.
• Plenty of discounts i.e. tours and for renting bikes (We saved a good amount of money because of them).
• You checkout around 10am but they will hold yer bags in a secured area till 6pm. Very handy.
• Cheap internet access.
• Friendly staff however they were annoyingly aloof.

The Neutral:

• It is a Christian hostel and they will happily talk about god and various aspects of religion.
• They have plenty of religious reading material
• Have group outings for religious things i.e. church or discussion.
• Religious stuff everywhere, slogans such as Jesus Loves you are painted on the wall as with imagery of Jesus and other religious characters and figureheads.
In regards to cleaning it was satisfactory, could do much better.

The Bad:

• No alcohol or drugs allowed (We were smoking hash whilst in Amsterdam)
• 2am curfew, they will lock you out and not let you in. I recommend finding a bulldog hostel which are open 24/7 with rooms at 20 Euros- Naturally, if you get locked out.
• Showers- There was no changing area thus I had to stand around and get changed in the shower.
• Two of my mates complained about the noise as some rooms look onto a courtyard and the hotel is located in the middle of the red light district.
• No sockets/plugs to charge phones etc in the dorms. You had to literally sit outside the dorm and wait with yer stuff.
• Check in and especially check out was terrible. All the staff are so very slow and aloof. We honestly thought they were stoned.

• Locker system (generally good) however the following happened: It took 25 minutes for the staff to find a key and open my locker. I left some items in my locker and my key was left with staff for me to collect my items later when I came to collect my bags at 4pm. Between 10am and 4pm, they gave out my locker key to another lodger who then proceeded to store their items in my locker. Naturally, after waiting a disparaging 25 minutes, my locker was open and my contents were gone. Note that included my house keys, Euros, toiletries and digital camera. We were meant to leave at 4pm, ended up leaving after 5.20pm and literally made our flight check in with 5 minutes to spare. I should note the staff have attempted to sort this out, they have my contact details and will speak with the people who were given my locker key and hopefully I’ll have my items returned.

I also would have added photos of the hostel on my review but naturally I can't do this anymore.

I would not recommend this hotel for people who have come to Amsterdam to take part in red light district action or who wish to party late.

However, it is perfect for Christians and folk who wish to go on tours, go to galleries and museums etc.

• Liked — Location and Food sold at Hostel
  • Disliked — Locker Fiasco, Naff Shower area, dopey staff
  • Stayed December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank dooley888
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I chose this hostel only because they don't allow smoking or drinking on the premises. I had never stayed at a hostel before, so I wanted to be as specific as possible. Shelter City was clean and right in the city center. Everything is close by.

It is what it is. On the plus side, you get a free hot breakfast.

My only grudge was that the women's section was up several flights of stairs. One set of stairs are winding twisting stairs, which made it difficult to carry my luggage up. It didn't bother me too much as I'm fit, but it doesn't mention this on the website.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gramercy97
England
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Before you read this review, understand I have stayed at many wonderful hostels throughout europe and so generally know what to expect.........I have NEVER stayed at one as bad as this!Firstly the dorms are unclean and very noisy with many of them backing on to the courtyard which was very loud from very early in the morning. The showers have no changing area to speak of, so you end up having to put your clothes on dripping wet. There are no power points in any of the dorms, so cameras, mobiles or anything else you need charging has to be done in the communal areas - meaning you must sit there to make sure they aren't stolen, extremely tedious! The check in staff are ridiculously slow, am suprised we managed to leave at all. Though it was nice to get a reasonable and free breakfast, we did on more than one occassion notice a rat scuttling past us in the dining area... The hostels only saving grace is its location which is fairly central, though with so many hostels avaliable in Amsterdam, this is not a reason to stay there. Overall, this was an unclean and uncomfotable hostel and I would only advise someone to stay there if everywhere else in the city was full. Amsterdam itself however is a wondeful place for an action packed city break.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don't.......
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends