“Positives and negatives”

Ranked #29 of 234 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Positives and negatives”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on New Year's Day. I'd booked a bed in a 4 bed dorm, which I thought was their smallest, but ended up in a 2 bed room, which was find by me! The staff were really friendly and welcoming. The location is good. 10-15 minute walk from the train station. In the red light district, but you can avoid this. My room was on the top floor, which was a big of a hike up some narrow windy stairs! The room itself was good. Nice and warm, enough plugs. They provide a free secure charging service too. Beds were comfy. Rooms were quite noisy - lots of doors banging and easy to hear people talking. Bathrooms were clean but the showers were cold. Wifi didn't quite reach to the top floor. They offer hot breakfast, which is unusual for a hostel. I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Shelter City. We had a 4 bed room to ourselves which was clean, warm and had plenty of storage (ie. 4 large lockers) and contrary to other reviews, we had 2 power outlets too. Showering and toilet facilities were clean and functional too although there was a bit of an overpowering smell of sewage in the corridors! Breakfast was very good too and the cafe had a lovely warm atmosphere to it. There is also a fridge and microwave that guests can use which was handy.
The hostel is very central although we naively did not realise that it is in the middle of the red light district. It is very safe, however, so this didn't matter one bit.
We thought it was excellent value for money and would definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2013

So I stayed at this hostel in summer of 2010, it was very clean the staff was friendly... enough, awesome location and weird at the same time. The hostel is right at the edge of the red-light district and a square with lots of coffee shops and cafes. if you have a problem with religion you probably shouldn't stay here

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a christian hostel, not a party hostel which they were very clear about. The place was VERY safe, clean and I found it to be pretty roomy (probably 3 times roomier than the other hostel I stayed at in Amsterdam). Computers were always accessible and the internet worked well. The staff was very friendly. I did end up going out and getting high and drunk but I made sure to straighten out before coming back to the hostel so no one gave me any problems. I had to check out at 4AM and they accommodated me. The location was PHENOMENAL. For the price it was unbeatable ,but dont expect to stay here with a bunch of friends and go out to get wasted at night - I would imagine the staff would intervene. They are clear about what they are at booking though.

Room Tip: I can vouch for the dorm rooms - they were much roomier than other hostel in Amsterdam I stayed in a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not bad but the dorms have alot of people in them and 13beds was a little much for me.
Shower was ok but not great.
They did give a free breakfast of pancakes every morning which was probably the best thing about staying here.
Good location a short work from the centre

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel. It's a hostel. It serves it's purpose. The location is great and the people are friendly. I only stayed in two rooms: an 8 bed room and a 12 bed from but I have no complaints about either. I was able to sleep confortably in both. I forgot to mention that it is one of, if not, the best prices for a hostel.

Room Tip: The 12 bedroom room I stayed in was off the court yard so it wasn't facing the street. Therefor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Robert T
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2013

sure, the location is great (the RLD is LITERALLY, around the corner), supermarket just on the other side of the building, ice cream store nearby etc etc. But I wouldn't stay here again given a choice. the first night we stayed in a 4 bed private room, which i'm pretty sure was only meant for two people to stay in. IT WAS SO TINY. we had to literally walk sideways between the bunk beds and the door was so close to the bed that there wasn't any space to stand while opening the door. PLUS: THE HEATER WASN'T WORKING. in fact I think none of them on our floor was. imagine walking the long corridor back with wet hair after showering in a temperature that felt like outdoors. not very fun. didn't sleep well either because the room was freezing.

second night, we had to move to a shared dorm as there wasn't any more space for private rooms. thankfully, the heaters worked in there. there weren't many people in the 16 bed room; just three more girls besides us. it was bigger (duh) so I had a more comfortable sleep that night. oh, but the showers on that floor were...not that great. Since it was on the ground floor as all the shared dorms were, you can imagine the number of people using them everyday, especially in the morning. yup. not very nice.

but it's not all bad. the security was good, which we appreciated given its proximity to RLD and all the coffeeshops around. it was also the first hostel we went to that provided hot breakfast (inclusive in the price we paid). Nice to have something warm in the morning, although it wasn't particularly filling, there was still free flow of bread and jam around to fill you up. Their breakfast is also really healthy. Maybe too healthy. So healthy we felt everything was tasteless except the jam.

Room Tip: privacy is nice, but the private rooms turned out worse than the share dorms. so if you don't mi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends