“Average but great location”
Review of Hotel Mevlana

Hotel Mevlana
and 1 more site!
Hotel Mevlana
Ranked #326 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Thing is it is located in such a great place, you have access to most of the attractions, walking distance to and from Amsterdam Centraal and there is a tram stop in front of the hotel. Cons, well, safety is one, like a comment mention anyone can access in the dorm area (not directly inside dorm rooms unless you leave it unlocked) , the receptionist doesn't check if the people they buzz in are guests so I think that's the issue and there are quite a few shifty people around the area and inside who stay in there as well. Besides that the cleanliness was also a factor but not a major one as it is so cheap. I'm not that particular about cleanliness as it was manageable but it could use improvements. Other than that, the staff are really nice and it's cheap but I highly doubt I will be staying there again. If you plan to stay a night or 2 then it should be alright but any longer I'd say pay a little extra and look elsewhere and for just girls staying I wouldn't say it's the safest places!! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Woke up one night at 2:30am to a hand above my face attempting to steal my jacket which was next to my head! This was one of the most scariest life experiences I have ever had. The security allow access for anyone to enter the rooms from the street. I watched as this person moved from bed to bed in the dark as my roommates were sleeping. When I warned the staff about the incident the next day, they actually yelled at my face for making up lies about the security at their hotel. I later found out several people had things stolen that night. Stay away from this hotel please! I wouldnt wish for anyone to go through the experience that I endured here.

• Stayed: October 2013
47  Thank S_James0076
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hostel was located in a very good location almost in the Dam Square. The cafe downstairs was nice with relatively cheap prices. However, one of the receptionists (the morning shift) was very rude and unfriendly. The hostel would be ok if you are willing to use just for a sleep, but I guess you can find some other better places with the same price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank omartawfik
Reviewed September 22, 2013

For a hostel, this is a very clean and well run place. The rooms are very small and cramped but it is a hostel (the name is a bit misleading) and the prices do reflect that. We stayed 4 nights in an 8 bed dorm, we pretty much only used the room for sleeping and showering so the limited space was not an issue. The beds were clean and quite comfortable and we were provided with towels which is always good.

The bathroom was kind of a negative, it was very small and not cleaned during our stay. But at least the shower worked well with good pressure and temperature.

Location is perfect, very central and easy to find but not on a noisy street either.

One major complaint is something which cannot really be helped by the hotel management: it is with the other guests who shared our room. This is Amsterdam so you will get young tourists who come just to drink and smoke, our first 3 nights were shared with a group of noisy teenagers who returned drunk at 5am and talked loudly until 6am... they did this 2 nights out of the 3... They also smoked in the room regularly... On the last morning we were actually told we were making too much noise even though it was 10am and we were packing as quietly as possible (checkout is at 11am!). Anyway, keep the risk of bad roommates in mind but since this is not the fault of the Hostel I did not lower my rating for it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

DON'T STAY HERE.The owner of the hostel was completly unreasonable and unfriendly. Two of the people on our trip had rung up several months before and had been quoted the same price for four of us for two nights. When we arrived the price suddenly went up by 50% for no reason. The explanation offered to us was that is was because we were only spending 2 nights and there was a minimum 3 night stay over the weekend, but we had made it completely clear when we booked over the phone that we'd only be there for 2 nights. Despite the misunderstanding the owner did not say sorry, did not offer any discount on the new expensive price and was rude and unfriendly. For the price we paid the place is small and dirty. The stairs are steep and narrow as well. I think the 'nice and helpful' staff that other people have mentioned in their reviews have long gone. Overall: DON'T STAY HERE.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SHJFHJK
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Good location, cheap cafe downstairs that gives out plenty of coupons. Near everything you want to do.

I stayed in a room of 8. There was a room with two beds that had some personal space. My actual bed was in a room of 6 cramped bunk beds. There was no personal space and no room to even walk around or open your bag without being on top of someone else's stuff or bed. Not to mention, the bathrooms were gross. The air vents were full of dust, and I do not think the bathrooms had been cleaned in years.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hostel great, very nice staff.
The room was clean with high-class bed sheets and comfortable mattresses. The room was quite small (6 people private room/shared bathroom on the floor) but for a short time stay for a sleep over it is ok. The stairs was really narrow and steep. Three nights minimum stay, little bit expensive w/o breakfast. Close to the train station 10 min walk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends