“Great service, good location and clean rooms”
Review of Hotel Asterisk

Hotel Asterisk
Ranked #143 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Fredrikstad, Norway
“Great service, good location and clean rooms”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Decided to book room at this hotel after reading many of the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

The hotel have a good location close to the museum district and a short walk (approx. 15 min) from Kalverstraat (one of the main streets for shopping in Amsterdam).

The service we received from the hotel staff was very good. Very attentive, helpful and polite.

The breakfast was OK.

We didn´t get rooms in the main building. That was not a problem for our group, but beware that there aren´t any elevator in the other building.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Falkvik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
bologna
Reviewed February 28, 2010

very welcoming, pleasant and helpful staff. The room is clean, nice and quiet. . my room was much more than I expected -It's basic but comfortable enough. Ideal if you looking for a place that's away from the traffic and all city noise. Good location residential area, 10 minutes walk from the city centre.

• Stayed January 2010
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I stayed at the Asterisk with two friends for three nights last April and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located south of the city centre close to the Heineken brewery museum and is a stones throw from the nearest bus and tram stop.
There is now a new annex on Den Texstraat adjacent to the main hotel where my friends were located. I stayed in a single room with a shared toilet on the second floor which is not suitable for elderly or disabled guests due to it's compact nature. In fact, I'm six foot tall and could only just turn around in the loo (a fact which my fellow travellers found hilarious).
The small dining area is on the ground floor and was very busy during breakfast. Staff were friendly although English was a problem occasionally.
For a short stay, The Asterisk is ideal. Better standard hotels are available for a price but with many travelers on a tight budget these days, small neighborhood hotels like this should not be overlooked.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Geneva
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in that hotels and booked it from Internet. They send us to the next house where they have other rooms, but not elevators. You have to carry your 20 Kg luggages on these high stairs (you see your partner feet when you climb, do not forget your alpinism equipment (joke) )

The personnel is friendly and speaks english and french as well, but they always ask you to go to the breakfast (free if you pay cash) but it close at 9.30 which was too early for us. I do not like to wake up early during holidays...

The service is not changing the sheets everyday and they knock at your door at 8.30... not really for romantic trip.

The room was giving to the back of the street and was quiet all nights except the last one because a party was in the garden.

The location is near the Heineken brouwery and not far from the center by tramway.

I cannot recommend it for student as the price was a bit high. I would expect a better service / room for that price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I was in Amsterdam for 3 nights by myself. As a recent college graduate, the price and other peoples reviews were what got me to book at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms and public areas very clean and looked to be quite new. Sharing a bathroom was not an issue, it was always clean and I never ran into anyone. My single room was sort of small, but was not an issue, even with me being 6'6". The hotel has a 2nd group of 8 rooms across the street and half a block down, but the short walk to breakfast was not an issue. Location was great, only a short walk to the museums, and maybe 30 minutes to the city center. I would definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone looking to travel on a budget. It was well worth the 44 euros a night.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank JKNordlie
Reno Nevada
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This hotel was only one step above a hostel in our estimation and but was priced like a much nicer hotel. No/minimal toiletries. Rooms not consistently cleaned. Breakfast included but not very high quality. We did like the location, near the Cuypmarket, Heinekin Brewery and an easy walk to many locations once you got a feel for the layout of the city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I did not feel very welcomed; they have booked me in their other house in the street (so if you do a reservation my recommendation is to make sure you are in the main building) and nobody was helping me carrying the lugagge although I was on my own. The room was very small. I booked a shared toilett & shower which was on another floor and not clean at all!
I was delayed for my check-out by 30 minutes which meant they have already blocked my card to enter the house and the guy at the reception came with me to the room and watched me doing my luggage - absolutely unacceptable behaviour!! Even though it was my fault for which I apologized - this is not professional at all!
Location is good and quiet.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo