“Quiet and Convenient”

Ranked #145 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Baltimore, Maryland
“Quiet and Convenient”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Asterisk is located on a quiet side street, and it offers small but comfortable rooms. The staff is helpful, and the tram is just a couple of blocks away. Good value for the price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Irma B, Owner at Hotel Asterisk, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review, which enables us to improve our service. Please note that we also have very spacious rooms. We offer basic rooms with shared facilities, those rooms are small, and rooms with private shower and toilet, which are really big. You can find the sizes of our rooms on our webpage. We hope to welcome you again in our hotel
with kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is the 5th time we have stayed at this hotel. It is based on an amsterdam house - long and thin, narrow staircases although there is a lift to upper floors. Breakfast is continental, ham, cheese, meatloaf, sometimes salami together with bread and cereals. No evening meals but not required as Amsterdam has plenty of eateries. Handy for trams as 4,16,24 and 25 run into town and 2 others run across town (can't remember numbers). Main selling point of this hotel is large bedrooms, nice adjoining bathrooms and extra friendly staff .Suggest if it's your first visit to Amsterdam that you get tram pass - chipkaart (ticket office opposite Centraal Station) as trams are easy to use and plentiful and tram map is easy to follow.

Room Tip: Room 27 is excellent - large room with bathroom and balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank perthlad
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was traveling with a group, and some of the reviews I read here had me a little scared about what we were getting into. The Asterisk exceeded my expectations during the four nights I was there.

I stayed in Room 24, which was a large room by Amsterdam standards, with ensuite facilities. Yes, the staircase is steep and narrow, but that's what you'll find in any hotel like this in Amsterdam. There is also a small elevator next to the front desk, which is not something you will find in every Amsterdam hotel.

As far as location, the hotel is not in the center of Amsterdam, but it's very convenient. Rembrandtplein is less than 15 minutes by foot, and Leidseplein, Museumplein, and the Albert Cuyp Market are even closer. If you don't want to walk, there's a tram stop close by that will get you to Centraal Station in 10 minutes and anywhere else you'll want to go.

The wifi was good, and free. The breakfast was a basic continental breakfast. The staff were all pleasant. Victor, who worked the front desk in the evenings, was especially helpful and friendly.

The Asterisk was a pleasant surprise for me. It's a solid 3-star hotel by Amsterdam standards that does what it's supposed to do.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Truro, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Pros: The price was great, the man at the desk was exceptionally helpful and friendly (found me a doctor immediately when I got sick and also helped us with getting around). They offer a daily breakfast (continental buffet) which was just enough, nothing spectacular. The location is on a quiet street, walking or bicycle distance to everything you'd want to see.

Cons: It's not a hotel. You do get a private room, but a shared bath - 4 rooms, 1 bath per floor. There is a sink in the room though, so you can brush your teeth, etc. Be warned - there is NO ELEVATOR. The staircase is long, very steep and very narrow. It look quite a bit of effort to get our suitcases up the stairs, but we laughed the whole time. No air conditioning either, but the room stayed cool and comfortable with the window open.

I have no complaints about this place - I knew what I was getting into, and if you're looking for a clean bed with a private room, it's fantastic. If you're looking for room service, keep looking.

Room Tip: If you can get a ground floor room (not even sure if they have those..) try for that. Those stairs a...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rLaska
Paris, France
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed one night there and I will definitely be more careful next time when I read the details about the room's comfort, there was no private toilet or shower. But it seems to be common in Amsterdam and, after review, it was visible on the website, so no complaint there.
The rest was from nice to great. The location is great with nearby public transport and very quiet though. Free Wifi and breakfast were good.
The staff was very welcoming and helpful.
For a very short stay or if you are fine with the lack of comfort, I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Hotel Asterisk, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback. We have looked into our publications and now added roomsizes to our listings, in order to get our future guests better informed about our rooms. We do have different roomtypes, for different budgets. Our private facilities rooms are substantially larger than our basic rooms with shared facilities. Thank you also for your compliments on our staff, they hope to welcome you again sometime.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed here under the illusion that it was an actual hotel, I wanted comfort, service, specifically peace and quiet. I paid a lot more for the room just having an ensuite, I was on the ground floor, spent the night being woken by the insanely loud thump thump of people coming and going on the stairs, talking and opening doors. Babies crying, even someone unzipping their bag. In the morning I was informed I was unable to check out a day early, after explaining my dissatisfaction. I came to Amsterdam to relax, not to be involved in a hostel situation, which can be achieved for a fraction if the price elsewhere. The tv was tiny, and up high, just like at hospitals, the room is tiny, the shower is cold and uninviting, after braving the stoney floored shower, which was a significant extra codt not to have to share, the hot water woukd not run, the wifi has to be constantly re accessed with passwords, decor is beyond dated, and the bed is horrendous.
Extremely disappointed, and this has ruined my short trip over. If you want a hostel, stay somewhere cheap, if you want an actual hotel, don't stay here!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Travellinger2
Nottingham
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here in december 2011. the hotel's in a good location, about fifteen minutes walk from leidseplein and rembrandt square and the hotel let us leave our case's in the baggage room on arrival. the hotel was very nice and staff very friendly. it was a shared clean bathroom on each floor but our double room was very small even by amsterdam standards, it was about 10ft square !! but if your looking for just a bed to climb in at night i suppose it doesn't matter.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple