“Great place in a good location”
Review of Hotel My Home

Hotel My Home
Ranked #70 of 242 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Good location - close to central train station. Amsterdam is small so the hostel is basically close to everything. We walked to the Anne Frank Museum, and we walked everywhere when we went site-seeing and out at night. Staff were friendly. Kitchen and lounge area were very decent, with a pool table. Breakfast in morning was very good - we were asked how we like our eggs done. Got toast, jam and juice with it. Used the kitchen during the day to make our own lunch. No curfew, got keys so could come and go as we please. Showers were decent and there was always one available. The toilet door was difficult to close but once you got it, it was fine and it locked. There were lockers in the dorm room. We stayed in a room with 6 beds, no problems. Rooms were clean. Overall it was a good hostel and a good experience and I would stay at this hostel again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 23, 2010

Very hospitable and comfortable. Has very good breakfast and the staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is located not far from Centraal Station and the street it is located on has grocery, drug stores and restaurants close by. Will definitely stay again my next visit!

Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2009

The first words that instantly come to mind when thinking of Hotel My Home are "cozy", "safe", "friendly", and "convenient." You really do get a great value for the $ you spend here. This place is about as "Amsterdam" as you can get - it's run by locals who know the city inside-out, who speak English perfectly, and who will be more than happy to enhance your stay by providing you with tips and their own honest recommendations on where/where not to go eat, explore, etc.

The best aspect of this hostel is its perfect location in the Jordann district - it is not too residential and not too commercial, and not touristy nor uptight at all - a very relaxed neighborhood. It is situated on what is literally the quintessential "Amsterdammer" street. The hostel is an 8-minute walk from the train station, a 1-minute walk to the closest (and cheapest) bike rental shop, a 5-minute walk from the local supermarket, and best of all - it is surrounded by delicious restaurants, charming cafes, low-key coffee shops, and small boutique shops. It is a 5-10 minute bike ride to the city center and the red light district, and everything else is also a short trip away. I cannot stress enough how awesome and lovely the location of this hostel was.

A delicious breakfast is cooked and served every morning - the dining room and common room is really chill and that is where their fat, friendly cat named Homey resides. The rooms are basic and very clean - towels, bed sheets and linens, and bars of soap are provided, plus a sink in each room. The rooms have great views either overlooking the charming picturesque street or the lovely courtyard in the back. They're not fancy of course - just a good, safe place to sleep.

When I return to Amsterdam, I am undoubtedly going to book here again. The cleanliness, convenience, and friendliness are just too good to pass up on.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cesar R
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We were coming from Ireland to Amsterdam. I started looking in my travelguide at some accomm in Amsterdam to book before we got there. The couple of places that were listed in the guide were already booked out, but one of the guys I spoke to gave me Hotel My Home's telephone number. I called and before I knew it we were booked and happy just to have somewhere to stay.

The Hostel didn't open until 2pm from memory, we'd arrived earlier in the morning and found the fantatsic bar/cafe' across the road...we happily sat there for a couple of hours (with cases & bags), the Heineken was good (nice and light compared to the Guiness we'd been on for a while). Good beer, food and beautiful staff who made us feel welcome and did well talking to us in English. Vey helpful.

Mara checked us in. WHat a bundle of energy. She was lovely and made us all feel welcome, gave us some tips on where to eat and where to head.

We stayed in the 'Anne Frank Room'. A lovely spot out the back of the lounge that had a bunk bed and two single beds. It also had a table and it's own sink which was handy, it saved us always trudging to the bathroom just to clean teeth. The room was very clean, the beds were comfy and warm. The breakfast was wonderful.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in any other spot in Amsterdam. It was a nice walk to the Square, the District, Anne Frank's House, the Sunday Market. The street was reasonably quiet and had a great deli nearby, as well as restaurants, and a great cheap little jewellry shop. I would definitly recommend Hotel My Home to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank SpinningDate
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Overall, it was a decent place. It was clean and safe. The shower was REALLY small and public so it was a little difficult bringing clothes and shampoo/soap etc. Me and my friend had a couple of noisy neighbors, but I'm sure that's not always the case. The owners are really nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank livemusic158
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I had always heard about Hotel My Home in Amsterdam, but on several attempts over several visits to the city I always found it to be fully booked, no room at the inn. I am happy to know that I've finally broken out of that cycle and can truly count myself among the fortunate who can call this hostel their home, their Hotel My Home, in Amsterdam.

The staff is super friendly, something I noticed when I first entered. First of all, the desk person called down to me at the bottom of the stairs at the front door to tell me whether or not she had room available (so many other places have you trudge up the stairs carrying heavy baggage and then spend a few minutes checking over their register before telling you they are full.) And once I was upstairs in the reception lounge, the first thing asked, the VERY first thing asked, was would I like a cup of coffee and to sit awhile before we took care of registering. I was bowled over with the casual and friendly welcome. I quickly found out that the staff really treats each guest as though they were personal friends, and each staff member with whom I got into a conversation explored common connections, places we'd both been, common interests, etc. The lounge is simple and cozy with couches, a chair, a TV and stereo; and computer access is available quite cheap. Past guests might have left books, brochures, and other useful things available for future guests who might be short on supply, which I thought was a nice custom. Other parts of the lounge are the dining area and kitchen, and there is a pool table. Reigning as queen over this entire area is The Cat, a very nice addition to the homey atmosphere.

I stayed in room 3, the one with two bunk beds and a single on the floor above the reception lounge. Toilet and shower were nearby, and in the room was a washbasin with mirror and drinking glasses. Towels are provided with bed linen and blankets. In the morning, one of the best breakfasts for English speakers to be found in continental Europe hostels: Fried or scrambled eggs, with or without cheese, all the toast with jam you could want, muesli, peanut butter, coffee and tea and milk.

The location is along a "quietly busy" street with a number of shops, restaurants, bars, food stores, a cinema, and coffeeshops. The hotel is perhaps a ten-minute walk from the train station, if you know the route (use the pedestrian bridge and underpass beyond the Ibis hotel west of the station to get to Haarlemmerstraat.)

The price was right, the atmosphere was welcoming, the staff was friendly, and other guests were cool. I didn't want to leave. When I passed through Amsterdam again six weeks later, I was able to stay again, even on very busy days, welcomed as someone who the staff knew who was coming home for a few days.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank pgtaddress
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I was very happy with Hotel My Home, in a good location, clean, secure, and the staff are very friendly. Nice and cheap, our group would definitely come back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends