“Lovely place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Flower Market Hotel
Ranked #294 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Lovely place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2004

My husband and me stayed at the Waterfront during the withsun weekend and really enjoyed the place. Friendly and helpfull staff, the best location in town (near the flowermarket; all museums and tourist attractions at walking distance), clean and well equiped rooms, very complete breakfast!
We'll certainly come back to this charming canal house and highly recommend it to everyone!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2004

When we arrived despite booking months in advance there were not enough rooms for all group. this meant some people having to walk around Amsterdam trying to find a room - not easy on Queens day.

The rooms although clean were tiny and cramped and not that comfortable.

Whilst there was an incident involving a break in! apprently someone got into the hotel and ransacked the rooms stealing cash and passports, they were caught in the room next to me when the guests woke up to find him standing there.

The management didn't seem that bothered and advised poeple who had lost stuff not to tell the police that the hotel hadnt been broken into as it would invaldidate the claim.

I would strongly recommend that you find somewhere else its pricey, cramped and not safe.

• Stayed January 2005
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank e2trainer

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2004

I had the misfortune of spending a pre-paid week at this hotel in 2000.
The hotel was locked when I first arrived so I had to wait outside (although they had my arrival schedule) for 1.5 hours until the owner returned. Less than 4 hours later, while I was having dinner, I returned to find that all of my belongs (2 credit cards, $1000 cash, CD Walkman, CD collection, driver's license, etc.) had been stolen by someone else in the hotel. The owner told me that he gave the hotel's master key to another guest because "he was cute and lost his room key". The hotel does not have any insurance for this loss nor were they willing to provide any compensation. I had to call internationally every week for 3 months before I finally received the police report from them. I STRONGLY recommend that others learn my misfortune and stay away from this place. I would also caution people that there is a VERY loud techno bar that shares a common wall with all the rooms on the right hand side of the hotel.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2004

Congratulations on a well run comfortable and fully equipped hotel.

We stayed at the Waterfront Hotel Amsterdam for 3 nights midweek (Wednesday 17th to Saturday 20th March 04) in a double room (Room No 2) which was en-suite complete with tea and coffee making facilities, hair dryer, fridge, central heated with cable TV, and I would like to especially mention the extremely comfortable bed with a thick duvet and comfy pillows.

There was no view at all from our room but we went to Amsterdam to see Amsterdam and not sit in the hotel, we did notice through the once open door of room 3 that if you were lucky enough to get this room or any other rooms at the front you would be overlooking the Singel canal, that's why they call it the Waterfront Hotel I suppose.

The hotel itself was very well equipped and you would not get better facilities or be made more welcome in a higher star hotel. The smallish breakfast room doubled as a lounge area again with free tea and coffee at any time of the day, this is where the manager also had a desk reception. The continental breakfast was first class with the usual ham & cheese, assorted bread, boiled eggs, fruit, bran cereal, toaster, etc. and you could help yourself to your hearts content. The breakfast and the comfy bed was worth the money on its own, not to mention the free post cards and card rack with all the places worth visiting situated in the Hotel entrance.

The Waterfront was ideally situated for the areas that we wanted to go too, Leidsesplain and Renbrandtplein was only 5 minutes walk, also the flower market was literally down the street. If you want to go to Dam Square the Red Light District or the railway station then this is about a 10 to 15 minutes walk, the easy way was by tram which stops just around the corner from the Hotel were a number 1, 2 or 5 tram will take you to these places for 1.60 euros (single), cheaper if you buy a ticket in advance from the many outlets.

Unfortunately during our stay, the outside of the hotel was being renovated and scaffolding covered the front of the building, but this shows that the owner is continually improving things and keeping the Hotel Waterfront to a high standard, these improvements did not effect us in any way and will be finished shortly.

We were made very welcome by the Manager of the hotel who gave us a good deal for the 3 nights, and all in all our stay was extremely good and well worth me taking the time to write this as a thank you to the Manager for a his efforts in making our holiday break enjoyable.

If you are visiting Amsterdam, be aware that the smaller hotels are not as easy to find in the good locations as you may imagine, so a visit to the Hotel Waterfront is highly recommend.

Word of warning in and around Amsterdam, be aware of the many vagrants, drug dealers etc. that hang around mainly the Red Light district and the main drag in from the railway station (Damrak) if they approach you or bump into you just walk away as they may accuse you of banging into them and making them drop their drugs, which you will be asked to pay for in a polite way, well, polite for a drug dealer anyway.

Regards

Very satisfied customer from Preston England.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2004

I went on Jan, 2004 and the only good things I can say about this hotel are that it was quiet at night, it's central location and the receptionist was nice.Apart from that, the hotel itself was very disapointing. For one thing, they were doing repairs on the façade, I think they should have told us so when they confirmed the reservation but we never knew until we got there, so that the room didn´t have a view on the canal, the building works wouldn´t let us see a thing. As for the rest, it properly looked like a hostel: there was no reception desk nor anything like it, the recepcionist was sitting on the breakfast room which was also a resting area. The hotel has 3 floors, all corridors and stairs (no lift) are very narrow and smelt like humit. The breakfast room had also a funny smell. Our room was very small, there was literally room for the bed and the 2 night tables only, and they never came to clean nor change the towels. It was disapointing because the pictures they show on their websites had nothing to do with what it's like in reality.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2003

My husband and I stayed at the small Waterfront Hotel in Amsterdam on the first and last nights of a recent European trip. Waterfront means it is on a canal, so the few rooms at the front would look out to it; we had a very small room on the third floor after hauling our suitcases up the steepest stairs I have ever seen (more like ladders!). The second time we stayed in Room 3, which is at the back, larger (though still very small) and quiet. This hotel is a short tram ride (routes 1,2 or 5) from the Central train station, a block from the flower market, and a short walk to the Leidesplein square. The Waterfront has a nice reception/breakfast room, with free coffee available all day, and the best breakfast buffet we had in Europe - lots of fresh fruits, yogurt, cereals, breads, meat, eggs, cheeses - and attentive service by the owner/operator. Not cheap, but nothing in Amsterdam is; the Waterfront is a good, safe, clean base for exploring the city or in transit within Europe. One caution: we booked online through kasbah, and although we got a confirmation email from them, the hotel had not been informed! Luckily for us (after an 11-hour flight), there was a room available...but we learned to be careful about online bookings!

• Stayed January 2005