“Great typical looking amsterdam style house very good value for money”

Flower Market Hotel
Ranked #313 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Well i looked at some reviews after i booked this hotel and i thought oh know what have i let my boyfriend and I into.
So when i walked up to the hotel i saw a little quaint hotel typical amsterdam style house outside a lovely little canal so thought great just what website described.
When i walked in they were very helpful, they asked me where i would like to be upstairs with a lovely view of canal or downstairs with no view. I decided on the downstairs as i have a bad leg and wasnt bothered about view as i only wanted to stay in room to sleep and was off out very early in morning to see more of Amsterdams wonderful sights. The reception staff were very helpful they even booked me a taxi as walking was a bit hard for me. They gave me a taxi number aswell.
The room it self was fairly big the bed was absolutely massive and yes the shower and toilet was basic but hey ho it does say 2 star hotel and as i only paid about 55 pounds for one night i wasnt bothered. I slept very well very good. There was a tv in room aswell.
In the morning i had breakfast self service help your self to bread which you can toast, ham, salami, cheese, butter jam, hard boiled egg, fruit juice and coffee. This was a surprise as when i booked hotel i didnt actually think it included breakfast so i was pleased.
They let us leave our bags there for a couple of hrs after we checked out as we went to a museum which u couldnt take bags then we collected them and left.
Overall i would say dont always believe all reviews as after all one persons opinion will be different to anothers an i think the Dutch people are so friendly. Also remember it says 2 star hotel so dont have stupid expectations as you pay for what you get and i was very happy with what i had very good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abby K

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to other people...
The location is fabulous, but that's it.
The breakfast is very small, the room we had was without window, next to the disco, next to kitchen/laundryroom...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel was excellent value for money and a great location. It was close to the tram stop, easy to find and close to the sights and nightlife in Rembrandtplein! We had a very nice view of the canal outside, The room was a bit too warm on arrival but nice when we came in from the cold! The staff were really friendly and helped us with our bags on the very steep stairs!!! Missed breakfast so can't comment on this! We would recommend this to anyone :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The triple room was small. The toilet had no window so not to nice after a night on the town. But if you like to travel around Amsterdam its not central location but its 5 minutes from the start of all the main shops and streets. Staff were nice and fresh towels were there every morning. If you want the party life for the weekend then the hotel is not to be stayed in but if you want to travel and sight see in Amsterdam then its a Yes from me as it gives access to a few streets leading to different parts of Amsterdam.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Damien880
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Me & my girlfriend stayed at the waterfront hotel on the 15th &16th October 2011.The hotel is currently going through some construction work so there is scaffolding around the ouside of the hotel, front & back. We were not told about the construction work before or after booking. The workmen began at & 7 in the morning so we were woken my a man painting the window frame of our room on the sunday. The night before on the saturday we couldnt fall asleep because there is a nightcub next to the hotel called Odeon that was open until about 4. The music was far to loud & the bass made the room shake. So we didnt get a good night sleep out of the 2 nights we were there.
Our room was not upto 2 star standard, which is not a high standard. It was grotty, dated, dingy & in all honesty its could of been a room out of a crack house. Diry curtans, flickering lights, very old radiator, the tv was 20 years old & the windows didnt open or close properly.
We were on the 4th floor & the stairs were a nightmare. Me & my girlfriend are 23, fit & healty, we struggled with the satirs. The shower room was clean but the shower didnt work properly. The temperature changed & the shower head didnt stay in place. The only good thing about the hotel was the location, there are no other good pionts. I could carry on listing all of the bad pionts of the hotel but i would be here all day.
Overall it was a disapointment. We only used the hotel to sleep & get changed in, but it weasnt even good for that. We paid about £210 for the two nights, yes it is cheap but its not money well spent. We will not be using the Waterfont Hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not choose the 4th floor small double bedroom. The room is not a 2 star standard, its diry, grot...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 00dtaylor
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Tried to check out from 8.45 PM the evening before I had to leave because of an early meeting. Unfortunately it proved impossible to get a hold of any staff before 8am the next day (an hour after I should have checked out). I tried calling the after hour phone they had listed on their door for such circumstances, but no answer even though I called about 5 times. When I finally got check out it turned out that they couldn't accept any creditcards even though there card machines and logos from the major credit card companies on the reception desk. That meant that I had to go out and locate an ATM. When I returned with the cash I found out that they weren't able to provide me with a receipt, I had to wait to 10 o'clock to get that, since I already ran late they promised to email me the receipt at 10am (not sure why 10am was the receipt time), but of course, I have not received any receipt.
If it wasn't for the fact that they had my passport locked up I would have left right away leaving the issue of an un-payed bill to the incompetent staff.
Besides that I have had construction work right outside my window that they didn't inform about, the shower was "fixed" with duct tape, the wi-fi works maxium 15 minutes before it dies out (tried to post this while in my room, but internet didn't work for 40 minutes) remote control doesn't work and the only place for my carry on bag was on the floor, next to the bed. The room in general is dirty and worn down.
Like others have mentioned, the hotel has a great location, but that doesn't justify the prize for this hotel which is not a hotel, it's dirty hostel that charges 4 star price.

Room Tip: Book a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business