“Nice and good breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark

You added Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark to your Saves list
Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #17 of 216 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Nice and good breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I found in the old refurbished house a nice place where to stay for 4 nights.
My shared room was confortable, nice and it had new furnitures. Nice price for a good quality.
I meet nice people over there.
Every morning a had a big and good breakfast(buffe) with many kinds of bread, fruits...
It is 15 minutes far from the center and the surrounding area its nice with Vondelplark very close to the tram.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Overall the hostel was great. We just stayed two nights, 5 of us in a 6 bed dorm and had a great time. The location is great with Leidsplein being within a few minutes walk - good for a night out - and the 1, 2 or 5 trams going into the centre of town & close to the red light district. The shower could have been a bit cleaner and make sure you bring a towel and the staff weren't overly friendly but other than that, I would recommend this place to anyone! Lone girls might not like the walk down the dark path next to the park too, as someone else said.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

As far as a place to stay, be smart! Book a bed and breakfast instead of a hostel - Less of a charge and a better living area without half the hassle. We stayed in a Stayokay hostel in Vondelpark only to have a freelance (by freelance I mean they are hired independently and not at all associated with the hostel itself) security officer barge into our room while we were sleeping and accuse us of smoking - but there is no smoke anywhere and we had been asleep for hours by then. So I have this Middle Eastern security guard named Omar breaking in on my girl and I MID SLEEP - accusing us of breaking hostel rules and confiscating our backpacks. Needless to say, I WAS LIVID. I spent most of the rest of the night up yelling at the two-man arabic security team. In the morning, I was given a sincere apology by a stayokay manager, all my items were returned and all they really did for my trouble and night of no sleep was give me a free t-shirt.
Moral of the story, avoid stayokay hostels. When the incident happened, there was absolutely no one on staff at the hostel, so they relieve all managers and employees for the night, while they let an independent security team take over. I demanded numerous times for a manager's phone number to which the security guys responded nervously and told me to wait until morning. I was down there yelling and arguing with poor Omar until he was saying, "What I can do sir? You must talk to me respectfully," Yah, like the respect he gave us by entering without knocking and accusing us for smoking in a room with absolutely no smoke in it. I wouldn't trust any hostel that doesn't have easily accessible management 24/7. At night, they leave all guests at the whims of inexperienced security guards who will enter without knocking and throw impulsive accusations your way.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank hotrodrod613
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Clean room, clean private full bathroom in room, friendly service...some noise in hallways late at night, but nothing earplugs couldn't take care of...no lockers...great breakfast, but get there a little early - they start clearing it all out 15 min. earlier than it says. Dark walk down the path to hostel at night ( i'm a solo female traveller), felt weird about that a first, but noticed the path is usually busy w/other hostellers going to & from...liked being practially inside Vondelpark & next to Leidseplein (smoking) action, would stay there again...

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

For those traveling alone, HIGHLY recommended. Meet a lot of great/diverse travelers. Full breakfast, which is GREAT, and good location.

Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Have just returned from a weekend away at the Stayokay, Vondelpark. I booked a private room for four, the room we were given slept 6 with 3 bunk beds and ensuite. After reading reviews on here I was slightly anxious about the condition of the rooms. However, they are all you need, bigger than expected and really clean. Reception staff were really friendly and helpful and food from the bar area was simple but really nice.

I do understand comments made about the tiny shower room, especially when 4 girls are trying to get ready, it is very small and gets very wet! Also bring ur own towels, you are able to rent some but they are more hand towel size and were a tad smelly.

I would stay here again for a cheap and cheerful couple of days we young friends its perfect. Amsterdam itself is a fantastic city, really laid back (unsuprisingly), we lots to do and see. I recommend the trams for getting around as this seemed to be the cheapest option with tram drives obviously well used to tourists and very helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Peaks Island Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

This isn't a luxury hotel, and doesn't try to be. But they served me very well.

I was on a very low budget, so opted for a dorm style room. It was clean, everything worked, the place was quiet and well organized. Yes, most of those staying there were younger than me, but no matter. Breakfast was excellent, with no limit on quantity. Food at their pub was not great, but there are many choices nearby.

If you come, bring your own towel, a lock for the locker if you've cameras or computers that shouldn't be left loose in the room, and be prepared to pay extra for internet access (but there are cafe's near by).

This hostel is a five minute walk from Leidseplain, which means it's close to theater, night life, wonderful walks through some of the best parts of Amsterdam.

I had some special needs with medical devices, and the staff were very attentive. They were also very present to help with transit questions, etc. And when I had an accident (not in the hostel), and needed medical care, they were especially helpful.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business