“Good breakfast, clean room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark
Ranked #19 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good breakfast, clean room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I stayed a few times in this hotel, clean and comfortable. The room was warm in the winter,the breakfast was great for a budget hotel, this hotel definitely is the one of the best budget hotels I have ever stay. The only thing I don't like about this hotel is late check in and if you haven't pay for the next day the housekeeping will ask you to leave the room in the morning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I have recently returned form a weekend break to Amsterdam with 3 of my girl pals. All the hotels were booked up and majorly overpriced due to a media conference so the only place for us to stay was the Vondelpark hostel. I have never stayed at a hostel before so was a little worried about whether it would be clean and if it would be too noisy. I havt o say, I was pleasantly suprised on both accounts. We opted to stay in a private dorm which had 3 bunk beds, small table, a decent sized shower room and a separate toilet. There was enough room for us to all spread out and get ready easily. We had to make our own beds on arrival, but this was no problem at all. The hostel is in a great location for the park and the Leidseplein which is full of bars, restaurants and shops. I would have no problems staying here again in a private dorm. You can't argue with the price and the breakfast wasn't bad either. You do have to queue which feels a bit school dinner-ish but it's not a major problem really. They have lots of voucher tags hanging up in the dining room with money off attractions and restaurants etc. so make sure you take advantage of them. The bar area was nice. We enjoyed a few reasonably priced beers whilst playing with the wii then headed off to town. There was a mixed bag of people staying here - single young travellers, groups of people and older couples so it was a nice atmosphere. It's worth a visit for a cheap weekend in Amsterdam and I would have no problems staying here again. It put all of my hostel preconceptions to bed!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We went to Amsterdam as a college trip and therefore to keep costs at a minimum we stayed in a Hostel. On arrival there was sick in the lobby which wasnt a good start. When we arrived our rooms werent even ready and in a rush the hostel threw our room together carelessly. I would much rarther of waited for them to wait then to do is as a pathetic excuse of cleanliness. The pillows were all extreemly uncomfortable and the beds were terrible. One matress has blood stains on the bottom which is too the extreems of poor hygiene, one bed had mouldy food underneath that made my colleague vomit as he was breathing it in. Also the dried sick on the wall. The room was full of dust, especially under the beds. The location of the hostel is however good. Easy access to all popular areas of Amsterdam in a couple of minutes. However the road is not ideal for cars or any other vehicles. Overall a good college trip but a terrible accomodation & i will not be coming back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Ryanair553
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Stayokay Vondelpark (pronounced as Fondelpaark), is located right next to Vondelpark, which is a very big park in Amsterdam. Apart from the proximity to a ver pretty park, the hostel is also close to a lot of important locations like Mac-Bike hiring store, ABN Amro ATM -and a mere 15 minute cycle ride from the Red Light Area.

It is a bit far off from the airport, but with the tram facility available, that is not a problem.

The rooms are decent, with attached bathrooms - the locker facility is a bit t be desired for - the breakfast is okay - but the bar is decent...

The pool table and other entertainment is not upto the mark, but thats okay - you anyways rather hangout by the canals or coffee shops rather than the pool table while in this city..

All in all - a very nice economical stay - and good people managing the hostel. They had forgotten our bookings, but when they realised that it was their mistake, they were quick to apologise and fix us up in rooms - gave us complimentary drinks too.. However, when you go - make sure that you reconfirm your bookings so that there is no problems.

Remember to first go and hire a mac-bike - bec they run out in peak season - and cycling is the best way to explore this wonderful city. We even took our bikes to Rotterdam via train - and that is also a convenient and cheap option.

Last - have the falafel at Maos - they make the best ones I have had across my travels...

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at the stayokay for 3 nights. We didn't book ahead of time, so it was a little pricier than we were expecting. We had a 20 bed room (I believe) and there were a few things that grossed me out-the rooms looked like they haven't been swept or vacuumed in about a month (lots of dirt and trash from other people), the bathrooms also looked the same, with hair all over the place and the floors were also pretty dirty and gross. Also, the bed linens are very clean, but I don't think that they wash the pillows or comforters at all. I didn't really care about that, but if you are a germ freak, you may have a problem.
The location is great. Vondelpark is gorgeous to walk through and the tram is really close by, along with about a hundred places to eat and people watch. The people at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, the bar is nice-always packed at night, and the breakfast is good and included in the price. I would like to come back to Amsterdam again, but not sure if I would stay here because of the lack of cleaning!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank soxgal91576
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The location is amazing, the hostel is very organized, clean, the room is perfect, there are a lot of possibilities for fun and meet people, and the breakfast is like a hotel!!!! I think is the best option to stay in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Conway, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I had a great time staying at Stayokay Vondelpark. It had a great location - just far enough out of the way that it was very quiet at night, enough so that I could get a full night's sleep, which is rare for a hostel. At the same time, it was located next to Vondelpark, a great place to relax and run/bike during the daytime, and quite close to Leidsplein, a great place for partying at night. It's pretty much ideal. The room was very clean.
My only gripe with this hostel is that it felt very much like I was customer rather than a guest. Other than the breakfast, which is included in the bill (a huge plus), everything costs extra. This isn't out of the ordinary for a hostel, but dealing with the receptionists, I always felt like I was being pushed to buy something, whether it be a padlock, a towel, or access to the internet.
However - it's a great feature to be able to buy tickets at reception - you can skip past the lines without paying extra! They offer discounts on 24 hour bike rentals, which I highly recommend taking advantage of for a shorter trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo