“A hotel that's trying very hard for success.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cityden Museum District City Suites

Cityden Museum District City Suites
Ranked #176 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
“A hotel that's trying very hard for success.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

First, the positives: The location is pleasant and away from the night life of Amsterdam, more or less. It is only 2 blocks from the Van Gogh Museum and other tourist sites, also the tram stop. The place is nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. It has an elevator. There is a breakfast offered, but I had to leave early in the morning, before 0700 when breakfast was available. The reception staff speaks excellent English, knowledgeable about tourist sites and transport, and is eager to help. The room was just okay, nicely decorated. There was air conditioning, but more about that later. First, the sign on the hotel just reads "NL-Hotel" so I could only confirm that I was at the right hotel by checking the house number. Second, the front door is kept locked all day, so I had to knock at the front door to alert the reception that I was at the door. I went up to the room, but the electronic card-key did not work. Had to go back to reception with all my luggage to get a new key. Then, the air conditioning did not work, and the lady at reception had to replace the remote control. (During my stay, the temperatures in Amsterdam hit new record highs, so air conditioning was critical.) But, during the night, the air conditioning stopped working, but no one was at reception. I opened my windows, but then the drunk people coming home were so loud that it was hard to sleep. After only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, I had to wake up to go to the airport. I took a shower, but the water did not drain out of the bathroom. Instead the whole bathroom was flooded with a centimeter of water. So, I could not dry my hair or apply my cosmetics (no mirror in the room). After I contacted the manager with my complaints, he provided a partial refund and his deep apologies. So, I think this new hotel is on the right track, but more attention needs to be given to the details. Also, the room was small. It was fine for me with only one suitcase, but if you were more than one person or had more suitcases, it could be a challenge. Given a little time, I think this place will succeed. The management and staff are eager to learn and to please their clientele.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank VaBene001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

In this month of August, I traveled a lot for business and leisure, this place was a positive surprise for a night's stay. I like to emphasize the reception really friendly, motivated and professional. The hotel is serviced by an elevator inside, the stairs are very steep, overall it is definitely a hotel where to stay, especially if you want to visit the Museum Square. The hotel has a service to rent bicycles, a fundamental tool to experience the city at its best.

Room Tip: Book the room in time before it remain the litlest one; nice but really little one.. :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in late July. We had a deluxe room on the top or 5th floor. The bed was super comfortable and the room had great lighting, a refrigerator, coffee maker, a flat screen TV, air conditioning, and free wireless internet that had great connection speed. The room is small, yet very functional. The shower had great water pressure. We also received breakfast in our rate when I prepaid for the three nights. Breakfast is generally 10 euros per person. I received the room with breakfast included for 85 euro per night which was a great deal for Amsterdam. Breakfast included cereals, yogurt, fruit, eggs, meats, cheeses, and breads and pastries. Juice, milk, and coffee or tea to drink. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh Museum. It is located on a quiet side street. Also 5 minute walk to catch the number 5 tram which can take you all the way to Centraal Station as well as stops at the Leidseplein, and Dam Square. We bought a multi-day transportation card and highly recommend this if you plan on using the trams and buses. When we arrived in Amsterdam, we took the airport bus for just under 4 euro per person and it drops you 5 minutes from the hotel. It was about a 15 minute ride. The staff was very friendly and gave us a great map of Amsterdam as well as helpful with directions and recommendations for restaurants or things to do. We would definitely stay here again when in Amsterdam. Would also recommend the restaurant De knijp for dinner. Very good food and only about 2 blocks from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rphamy
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I totally raccomand this hotel to everyone.
I really clean, beautiful desing, 10min ride with tram-line to center easy, people and service is great.
Room is not big but who cares you are not there to stay inside the hotel. Great price too.
I will definitelly come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this hotel last minute and it was almost our only alternative to a hostel. We saw some good reviews and decided to try it out. We paid EUR 130 for the first night and 110 for the second. Breakfast was not included.

The receptionist was friendly at arrival. Checking in was quick and we headed to our room. The hotel has an elevator which is a plus in small hotels in Amsterdam. Decoration overall is nice. Location was perfect for us: walk distance from the Museums and Vondelpark, 10 minutes tram from the center, in one of the most beautiful areas of the city.

Our room was extremely small, almost with no space to walk or leave our suitcases. Thank God we only had one carry-on (it was just a weekend trip), otherwise there would have been no place to put a bigger bag or bags. It was clean and cleaned every day so positive point there. Wifi connection was good, not great. The bed was also good, not great.

The shower deserves a separate paragraph as it flooded the rest of the bathroom by design every single time one showered. Another (minor) negative point is that there were no shampoo bottles, which I normally don't care about but this time I did since I forgot to bring mine.

Finally, while the receptionist was very nice and offered to help us find restaurants, she really didn't know what she was talking about. The first night we asked for a good sitting restaurant and she sent us to an italian coffee and ice cream shop with some takeaway food. The second day she recommended a restaurant in the Jordaan area and marked it in our map. When we got there there was no such restaurant in that corner or in the blocks around it. We finally found it online the following day and went, and it wasn't anything special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KKonda
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The maintenance of the rooms is poor. We slept in a very small room, difficult to move into it, and the walls of that room were completely full of dirty spots very visible for the customer.
The location is a little bit far from the city center.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank ANJARA L
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Staying in this hotel for 5 nights was enjoyable Rooms are very small but new/renovated.
All the staff we met were really nice and helpfull
Not in the centre but in a very nice location.. Good tansportaion by tram to the center
Wi fi was working properly and for free. Breakfest was o.k. and cost 10 E a day for each .
We think that the price paid ( average of 110 E per night) should included breakfest

Room Tip: Not worth paying more for the expensive rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family