“Very pleasant stay at the Hem”

West Side Inn Hotel
Ranked #293 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest, Romania
“Very pleasant stay at the Hem”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Ive stayed at Hem Hotel between the 1st of March and the 4th, in room 003, ground level. I arrived at the hotel around 8,30 AM and I was able to leave my bags at the hotel until 2 PM (checking time). I paid 145 EUR for 3 nights (keeping in mind the hotel conditions, its a bargain)
The hotel is located 20 min walk from the train station, 60 min walk from downtown. Its a nice area (you can even find 2 supermarkets 2 min walking from the hotel)
The room was very nice and clean. Nice view on the window.
The staff was very polite and helpful. The main gate is open from 7AM until 11 PM.
Definitely I will return to this hotel in my next trip to Amsterdam.

There was only one issue with the TV (the channels didn't worked), but let's be honest...no one comes to Amsterdam to watch TV :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christian M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have just spent 3nights at the Hem hotel and I must say that my experience was good. Check-in/out was quick, staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was basic but clean, we had plenty of clean towels etc. the hotel is not very close to the city centre but a number 2 tram will take you straight there within 20mins.

Overall if you want a friendly hotel to crash at after a busy day, that is cheap I would recommend the Hem hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Myself, boyfriend and another couple have just arrived back from a 4 day stay at HEM Hotel, Amsterdam.
Its nothing special, but its clean and accommodates everything you need for a short break. But come on, what do you expect for £20 per night.
Yes there was scuttling for about 5 minutes early in the morning and yes it is a little rough around the edges. However the reception staff are extremely helpful and i couldnt fault them. They offer drinks and food at very reasonable prices, however the breakfast is minimal but this is traditional for Amsterdam.
The hotel is set in a residential area which quite obviously is not a prestigious area, i didnt feel particularly staff at night, however you are soon in the hotel and its around a 3-4 minute walk from the tram stop.

Go for breakfast in the cafe in the park by the IamAmsterdam sign. 5 euros for the most amazing Dutch Pancakes.

I can also recommend the Anne Frank Museum and its only 9 euros each, you may want to pre-book if you dont have much time in Amsterdam as there is always a bug ques.

Amsterdam is a lovely city of which anyone will enjoy

Room Tip: All rooms apear to be of the same standard, they can be a little chilly but are all of a good standa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
liverpool
Reviewed March 3, 2013

a group of us stayed here in December and our room was dead nice and clean, no dirty sheets and the food was nice, we are going back at the end of march and staying here again, the staff were all so nice. The tram stop is just down the road and the lidl is 2 mins away, some of our mates stayed in the hostel and even them rooms were good!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 312 room is the best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The worst hotel I've ever stayed in. You've probably read about the rats, the intruders in rooms, sleeping by a noisy car park. Then there's constant running/flushing water, disgusting food, coke poured out of bottles that have been sat on the side for who knows how long. Unhelpful staff, unclean beds, broken mouldy leaking showers...this list is endless. Just don't go! Book somewhere a little more expensive and enjoy your time in The Dam (as the city is beautfiul!), the grief we went through in three days at this hotel ruined our entire time there.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Pavia, Italy
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was there twice, first time in August 2012 (with a colleague), then October 2012 (alone). In both cases I was on a business trip. The first time we got a decent and quite big room (it was a triple) on ground floor with a large window we could open, and the location was good for our working place. But the good things finish here. The cleaning ladies would non clean things at all: I am ok with the fact that they do not change sheets while I am staying there (I don't change mine at home every day), but they were not very clean, the towels were grey and smelly and the products they used for the bathroom would leave such a stinky-humid smell that was disgusting. Luckyly we could open the window back then. But when I returned the second time (for budget reasons, and for the proximity to the working place) I was in a room where I could not open the window and with the same awful smell. And the ceiling was falling apart, with the serious possibility that rats could fall on my bed. I could not change because of the reimbursment from my boss, but if I had the chance I would have done so! Not to mention the total unseriousness of the hotel staff: they barely asked me for my documents (on second time they didn't even check who I was), and people could go in and out without them even knowing what was going on.
Even if the tram stop is nearby, it is quite far from the center (15 minutes from Leidseplan, 30 from the train station), which was not so nice when we had to have dinner out. The neighbourhood was dark and isolated, so coming back at night was not the most comfortable thing to do (even though nothing happened).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window you can open. I guess first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business