“rats in rooms...avoid at all costs!!!”

West Side Inn Hotel
Ranked #293 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“rats in rooms...avoid at all costs!!!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in room 328.. Avoid. heard noises on the celing and scurring up/down the curtains, put the nights on to see a large rat in the room!!! Moved to room 400 which was freezing. reception staff very unhelpful coundnt be bothered, said mice and rats were apart of the stay in Amsterdam. Manager explained that couldnt give a refund, so we asked for a free meal for 2 with drinks and were given a free breakfast, plus a free nights stay?? would not go to this hotel again. Avoid pay alittle extra and go somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: choose room 400, abit cold but no rats or mice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anne0408

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I attend a conference at the RAI Center and after a long day networking all I wanted to do was have a nice nights sleep, this was not the case! I was woken several times by scraping and scurrying above the ceiling only to sit up and realise the curtains less tha two feet away were moving then to be confronted by a large RAT sat on the table opposite me! When I told hotel staff they seemed to know about it and did change my room quickly, but the new room with its fully tiled bathroom had cracked tiles and was in no fit state for use! I have been using the HEM hotel for three weekly stays for three years and coupled with this experience and poor heating on several visits (last visit i was handed a blanket by a staff member and was told "sorry sir the heating is fu**ed!") this will sadly be my last stay. It has got worse from the second year I used them!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank P10GE

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I spent a lovely weekend in hem hotel for his 30th. I booked the hotel as it came with a special offer as we weren't planning on spending much time in our room(which we ended up doing). I was worried after reading a few reviews but to be honest we had such a stunning room with great service from the staff that I highly recommend it. I felt that we got so much more value for our money. (hem hotels price is so reasonable)Didnt expect the lovely room that we got. Thanks so much, will definetly be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

2 Thank bernice d
Derry
Reviewed November 13, 2012

just back from few days in hem hotel,to be honest was a bit worried after reading bad reviews,but was pleasantly surprise. while the outside did give us a bit of a scare,(could do with a re-paint)...we were more than happy with inside.from the minute we stepped inside the doors,we had a brilliant stay,rooms were clean and housekeepers were in everyday to take away rubbish...staff were very helpful and friendly,its a bit out from town,but number 2 tram takes you in there in no time.and trams run very often,no waiting about..hope management at Hem Hotel see this review,as i truly cant say a bad word about my stay there...

Room Tip: i had room 128,friends had room 127 and room 111....no complaints from any of them
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hem Hotel in Amsterdam is a good hotel when considered for its price, location, and amenities. However, the hotel has wildly different quality of rooms, depending on if your was recently renovated, so its critical to get the "newer" rooms (see below for more on that). Overall the hotel is good and I do recommend it. I stayed here for 7 days. Due to certain issues, I stayed in 3 different rooms and I learned a bit about what is good and what is bad.

Pros:
- Location. Hem Hotel is outside Amsterdam proper, in a quieter suburb area. But it is close to a Tram stop. Tram #2 stop: (Westlandgracht or Delflandlaan). Note that in Amsterdam there is the subway and there is the tram. The tram is what most people take and it goes everywhere (above ground) around and through Amsterdam. The subway (both above and below ground) is fine for getting to and from the airport, but not for getting around the city. Most map sites like Google (as of Sep 2012) do not understand the two systems of Tram vs Subway and so only show you subway travel options. But with the tram, you can get everywhere in Amsterdam for cheap. For 2 Euros, you can go from Hem Hotel to central Amsterdam.
- Most rooms have air conditioning and are clean. But not all. When I first arrived I got a room on the 1st floor that was outdated and a bit gross. It had no AC. I asked for a room with AC and received one the next day. My new room on the 2nd floor was significantly better than the 1st floor. It had recently been renovated and had AC. However, the AC stopped working so the next day I was transferred to a room on the 3rd floor. This 3rd floor room was bigger, brighter, clean, new fixtures, and had central AC. Best room of the 3 options i had by far. If you go, request a 3rd floor room with AC, it changes the hotel from mediocre to great value. Naturally they would prefer to give you the junkiest room you will tolerate, so request 3rd floor when you arrive or when you book (if possible). The staff was very friendly to my requests, which I did not expect.
- The hotel has a restaurant and bar. Which is good if you want to save time. The breakfast is decent. I avoided using the hotel's restaurants because they just weren't what I was looking for.
- Hem hotel atmosphere is youthful. Most guests are young. This is good... and bad. See cons for why.
- You get free WiFi. It is slow. But you can check email and search internet well enough. Doubt you can watch your netflix though. Sometimes it worked for me, sometimes not.

Cons:
- If you get an older room on the 1st floor, your stay is a lot worse than it needs to be.
- They have this odd greenhouse like structure in the center of the hotel. If you get an interior room then this greenhouse will heat your room like crazy. Great in the winter I expect. Not so great if you don't want heat.
- Youthful atmosphere. The hotel states clearly: no drugs or excessive alcohol. Good luck enforcing that. They can't. Amsterdam is liberal on the drug issue. Your fellow guests will be enjoying themselves as such. Marijuana and shrooms are everywhere, which is fine since they are legal. But harder drugs like cocaine, which are not legal, are also present. So is wild and odd behavior from young people who are new to the effects of any drug. Prepare for some interesting encounters to say the least.

Overall Hem Hotel is a great value. I spent around $60 dollars a night for my 7 nights there. That's $60 US dollars and a very good deal considering other hotel options.

Room Tip: Hem Hotel is a collection of buildings which vary greatly in value. The oldest section is the first...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Location for the money was reasonable. Number 2 tram in and out of the centre for under €3. Hotel and room were fair quality and would stay again. Unless you want to stay in the middle of the action, then would recommend this as an option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

England UK
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is the second time that me and my boyfriend have stayed in Hem Hotel. And the second time was even better than the first! We stayed for 4 nights. Our room was so spacious, even had a jacuzzi bath too lol. The rooms were clean and tidy, service was good, food was alright too. The location is spot on! Its not far from the aiport and definatly not far from Dam Square as the tram number 2 is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and it takes about 10-15 mins to get to Dam Square. Would recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Amsterdam!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple