“Wonderful stay and friendly staff - well worth the money”

West Side Inn Hotel
Ranked #289 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edmonton, Canada
“Wonderful stay and friendly staff - well worth the money”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

HEM is a wonderful basic hotel and well worth the money. I highly recommend it.

To put my stay in context:
- I paid
- Average of 40 Euros per night (including taxes)
- Average of 7 Euros per night for Internet access (24 hours)
- All comments below should be interpreted within the context above

General impression:
- Staff were very friendly
- Guests were mostly young, but very quiet
- Facilities were basic and worked well. You *will* get your money's worth!!!

I liked the following:
- The internet connection was OUTSTANDING!
- Skype actually worked flawlessly!
- I was able to download files at a constant rate of 200-300 kb/s
- Toilet facilities were very good
- Shower worked well, and had good pressure
- Roomy
- There was plenty of room for me, and it would have been easy to fit another person.
- Bed was very comfortable
- Temperature was easy to regulate
- TV had English channels

I disliked:
- The front desk gave me an iron (20 Euro deposit to ensure I return it), but the iron did not work. They did not have a replacement. On the third night, they gave me a brand new iron (I took it out of the box). It was great... but I wish I had it earlier.
- There was no ironing board
- The internet connection didn't work on the last night (although I didn't confirm with the front desk). I didn't complain because the Internet connection was soooo good on the previous nights. Kudos to HEM!

Transportation:
- Hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the #50 metro. I used this every day. Public transportation is very good in Amsterdam, and there were plenty of ways to get to the hotel.
- The area is very safe

Possible "Gotchas"
- This hotel has two distinct parts. I stayed in the newer (and more expensive) section (Note I only paid 40 Euros for my room). The older part is operated as a youth hostel. It is cheaper, but watch out. Those who complain about HEM must have stayed in the youth hostel, paid the lower price, and expected the higher service. I really recommend the "regular" hotel - where I stayed.
- Breakfast is very expensive (15 Euros), so I never used it. However, remember this is a part of the hotel's operating model. So work accordingly. There is a grocery store within about 100 meters.
- The hotel is right next to a very busy motorway (A10). My room actually faced the motorway. HOWEVER, the motorway has a sound barrier, and even with my window open, noise from the cars was very low. It worked out well for me, and I would easily take the same room again.
- The hotel has good transportation, but it is somewhat far from the city center. Nevertheless, it is convenient. Here are my "transportation" times:
- 10-minute walk to the Henk Sneevlietweg metro station. Some busses stop closer, but I just walked.
- From Henk Sneevlietweg metro station, it takes about 20 minutes to get to Schiphol airport, or 15 minutes to Amsterdam Centraal.
- I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was somewhat worried, but all my doubts were quickly put to rest!
- Most guests were tourists aged 18-35 years old. My stay was very quiet. Possibly others could have problems. I stayed for business, but I would happily stay as a tourist.

Congratulations HEM hotel! I made the right choice, and would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for the main part of the hotel, and not the (very cheap) hostel. I had a great room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BudgetBusiness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The room was clean, beds were comfy and has all the necessities. Toilet was a in need of repair but still ok. We bought accommodation plus day travel pass as well, which was good since the hotel is about 15-20 mins away from central. There's a tram stop near the hotel and it's not easy to get from there to the hotel the first time because the hotel is is quite hidden among all the residential houses but just ask around for direction.
Ours came with free breakfast and they served variety of foods, you will be spoilt for choice!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HemHotel, Guest Relations Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for writing this review. So nice to read you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you are positive about our rooms, the location of the hotel and the large variety of food at the breakfast. We are glad you appreciate our value for money. Smart of you to book the special including breakfast and transportation tickets, this makes your stay in Amsterdam complete.
We hope you will choose our hotel again next time you come to Amsterdam!
NL
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The hotel is of basic+ quality. Located in a quite residential area within the city ring. Went to Amsterdam for business, Rai convention centre can easely be reached by taxi (or public transport), stayed an extra night to visit the historical city. There is a tramstop close to the hotel and within 15 minutes you are at the big Amsterdam museums. Rooms are as pictured, nothing special, but clean. Good International breakfast buffet for this type of 3 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LeRoi70
HemHotel, Guest Relations Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for writng this review. We are glad to read you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you are very positive about both the location, transport options and the rooms as well as the breakfast. We hope to welcome you again in our hotel in the future!
Turku
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Nice enough place, about 15min by tram from Dam Square. The area is a little shady, but we managed alright. The staff was helpfull, not "american" friendly, but ok. Breakfast was 12,50 and really worth it, allthouhg I highly recommend you go and have breakfast somewhere in the city (the atmosphere in the little breakfast cafes is blissfull!!!).
Rooms were really basic, beds comfortable and shower worked ok. There was a slight aroma in the hotel corridors and in the garden, but hey, what do you expect...

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT in ground level - there are people hanging around the garden around the clock.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laura T
Thank you for your review, and many thanks for recommending our hotel. We are happy to read about your positive experience with the short distance from the city center, our breakfast and our rooms. We hope you choose our hotel again the next time you will visit Amsterdam!
Turin, Italy
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Since we knew we are booking a hostel and not a hotel, we weren't expecting much. The room was basic, beds were clean and confy. The bathroom was very old, especially the shower but overall OK! By paying 15 euro for a twin bed room, I think we god what we paid for.
The location is OK, maybe a little bit shady. The metro is very close, and there are also 2 supermarkets if you want to grab something to eat. The staff was also a little bit shady.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We understand you did not stay in this hotel but in our 2 star HEM Hostel. The hostel has an own page at Tripadvisor, this page is for the 3 star HEM hotel. That being said we are off course glad to read you have enjoyed your stay in the hostel. We are happy you appreciate the good value for money of the hostel. We hope we will see you again some day, in the hostel or in this hotel!
Wiltshire
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Awful. If you like to score crack or any other Class A hard drug then this area is the place to go. Location was scary - enroute to the hotel once off the tram, we were hassled by toothless skagheads demanding money as well as having the misfortune to stumble across a bunch of hardnuts exchanging large sums of money for suspicious looking packages. Very scary indeed. Do not be fooled by the gallery on the official website as we were, it looks nothing like this. Room was extremely basic and very old, in desperate need of new beds and shower, etc. Didn't stay the 2nd night we booked as it was uncomfortable and just overall horrible. The only thing going for it was that it was quiet. Avoid!

Room Tip: Don't book one at Hem Hotel Amsterdam.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank S S
HemHotel, Guest Relations Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are really sorry your experience with our hotel was so bad. The hotel is situated in a residential area, and most people in the neighbourhood are normal Amsterdam residents. We are sorry you ran into the wrong persons, but we can not do anything about people that walk in the streets around the hotel. We have recently renewed a big part of the hotel, so over all the hotel and the rooms are tidy. If you have a problem with the room you are staying in, you can always contact the reception and, if available, we can give you another room that meets your wishes more. We hope you will reconsider and maybe try our hotel again some time so we can change your opinion about us.
Kind regards, HEM hotel Amsterdam

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Belgium
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Last week, I stayed in this hotel for two nights.

The room was decent sized but very basic. The mattress were too old and needed replacement. The shower was well below the expectations of a basic shower. Having said so, room was quiet and no disturbances.

Location wise it was just across the highway and well connected to public transport. Hotel charges for parking car.

The lady at reception was helpful.

Ambiance and environment in the hotel is not very encouraging. Pathways are shabby and it is no way a 3 star Hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for writing this review. It is too bad you did not like the room you stayed in. If the room does not live up to your expectations, you can always contact the reception and they will try to get you another room. We are trying to learn from some bad reviews we received in the past and we have already renewed a big part of the hotel, like the public areas. We will take a look at all the rooms as well to see what we can improve. We are glad to read you are positive about the service at the reception and the location of the hotel.
We really hope you will give us a second chance and come again some time in the future so we can show you we really are a 3 star hotel!