“Another great example of "Nieuw Ruig" cooking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rijsel

Rijsel
Ranked #294 of 3,750 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Another great example of "Nieuw Ruig" cooking!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nieuw Ruig is the style in which former top chefs still are top chefs, at no nonsense, no compromise, very good restaurant. Rijsel is a great example. Original dishes, great wines, very nice service, amiable atmosphere, a place where you will feel at home at a reasonable cost.

Visited October 2012

Baltimore, Maryland
“This is a serious eatery!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The first time I visited Rijsel in 2011 just weeks after opening, it was recommended by a friend of the owner who happened to serve me at a Belgian bar in town. I was looking for good food and she raved about the place. I went early as I often do when traveling. I was the first customer and Pieter Smits, the owner, was setting up for the evening. I was very lucky as he basically cooked and served the entire meal for me!

Of course, Pieter Smits is extremely passionate about his food. Not only that, I get the strong feeling that he wants to share his passion with everyone around him, no matter who they are or whether they think they know food or not. I really love that.

The food was excellent. The venue says "this is a serious eatery". I went back May 2012 with a crowd of scientist friends and colleagues. They all loved it.

Go there, take your friends, crowd around a large table and enjoy the fabulous food. I cannot wait to go back next year.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank PJ F
Avignon, France
“no nonsense”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

A nice restaurant with a simple but tasty menu and wine selection...Good for larger groups of friends, service is ok a bit slow, but that did not disturb our fun evening... a very mixed crowd of students, yups, and undefined couples..We will go back... Note its a bit hard to find, in this old school building in the middle of a residential street off center... The main reason you find only locals...Check it out!!

• Visited October 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“good ambience, good value, room for improvement ..”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Recommended by 'foodie' friends, we tried Rijsel on a Tuesday, and the place was heaving ... sign of its popularity ... must be doing something 'right' ...

Food - well, my fishsoup excelled, partner's terrine less so ... main courses of cod and baby chicken both well-executed , however did take 40 minutes 'wait' as kitchen struggled to serve the 'full house' ... dessert, pear sabayon, give a miss ...

Good price-quality ratio, clean fresh execution of dishes, if they fine-tuned their kitchen service plus 'upped the ante' on a few dishes, this place would then be 'brilliant' ..

as such, I'm reluctant to return as I dislike 'waiting long time for food' ..

• Visited September 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Without doubts my favourite restaurant in Amsterdam.
Nice atmosphere, attentive personnel and, the most important, amazing food.
I com from Spain and I every time I go to Rijsel I feel like being at home, homemade dishes done with a lot of care and the best fresh ingredients.
Definitely recommended.