“a screw ??”

Ranked #327 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“a screw ??”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed 2 night in this hotel and I may say the staff is well and the place is clean but bedrooms are too small, toilets and bathrooms are in the outside of the bedroom :-( and the price is very expensive for the service

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Hotel Continental is about a 2 minute walk from the central train station which is great. You can quickly get to the bars, restaurants, night clubs, red light district, etc with a short walk in any direction. The hotel rooms are small, but tidy. The bathrooms are micro, and for someone over 6ft tall aren't very user-friendly. A 1 night stay for a 2 bed dorm room was over 80Euro.. It's not great but do able. The room had a nice big window, but zero ventilation or fan so our room was HOT until about midnight, If I came back to Amsterdam, I would shop around for a better place for that price...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the hotel Monday to Saturday and on the Wednesday night we were buzzing about how good the hotel was. Sure, the stairs were a nightmare to get up and the rooms were bland and small, but in Amsterdam when there is so much to do you don't need a room that is totally perfect. We were happy with the amount we had paid to begin with and the location.

However, on the Thursday night we decided to get an early night for the first time and settled into bed about 12 ish. By 1am my two friends were complaining of hearing a rustling sound, which if you listened carefully for long enough you began to hear. This went on for about 3 hours until at 4 am my friend screamed the room out saying that she had a rat run across the room under one of the beds. We then discovered that one of our bags had been chewed on the side. We ran downstairs at 5 am saying that there was a mouse or rat (my friend swears by the fact it was a rat) in the room. The man was polite enough explaining that it happens a lot but offered us a new room for the night. We grabbed our clothes quickly as we didn't want the rat to chew at them and left our conditioners, tooth brush other various toiletries in the room as we didn't know where the rat was and in the morning we could grabbed the rest because surprisingly we were tired at 6am and wanted to go to bed. Obviously though we didn't sleep at wink all night as the thought of a rat being in the hotel was enough to keep anyone up.

In the morning we overslept because we hasn't ha a wink of sleep. We went up to our room to get the rest of our things to find out that our room now had new suitcases in and ALL OF OUR STUFF HAD BEEN BINNED. We were beyond angry. We had been allowed by the man at reception to keep our keys because he said we could just move out as it was so LATE at night and sort it out tomorrow.

We went down stairs beyond angry were the hotel receptionist had the nerve to tell us it was 'common sense' at 5 in the morning to move ur stuff out of a room. He also said there is nothing they can do about rats or mice...... Let me tell you I have stayed in many hotels were nice have never been an issue. The hotel CLEARLY knows that there is a problem yet they are doing nothing about it. And they have let some new people into our room, once again KNOWING that there is a rat in there.

I explained to the man that we had paid 206 euros EACH for the 5 nights we were staying and he had the nerve to tell me that was a good price. Some friends we made on the trip paid 15 euros a night for another hotel and NEVER seen any mice in their hotel. I also tried to explain to him how this hotel was meant to be two star (which is clearly shows proudly on the front window) and he said the hotel was now one star.... Funny how at the front it still keeps its two stars..... Pretty sure false advertisement is illegal.

We tried to ask the hotel politely that a refund on the products that we had brought would be nice. They had very little to say because the truth is they don't care. We are livid. I completely understand that rats are a problem yet they do NOTHING about it. The reviews you read here scream problems of rats and listen to them well because they only speak the truth.

I wouldn't say that we are fussy girls at all. We read the reviews for the hotel before we booked the hotel for Amsterdam, yet we decided to ignore the words 'terrible' and 'don't stay here' which have been frequently posted on these reviews. However they could not speak the truth more.

But rats in the room, eating your bags and food is beyond acceptable. We looked past the uncomfortable beds, the horrendous stairs and there being no air con that breathing is an issue at night. However the problem of rats is unforgivable and needs to be sorted!!!!!!!!!! We are beyond angry that our stuff that we brought got either taken by the cleaners or simply discarded.... Even though it was obvious that someone was still living in there.

Do not make the same mistake as we did and chose not to listen to the reviews. Unless you enjoy hearing rats moving around your room and nibbling at your belongings and seeing mouse traps under your bed.... This hotel/hostel/dungeon is not the place you or even someone you dislike would want to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Oliviamanchester1994

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Basically, we came here for a city break with 3 girls altogether. We read the reviews for this hotel and I was a bit nervous about coming because I read the previous reviews but we thought wed just enjoy it and slum it out for 5 nights.
As soon as we arrived, the stairs getting up to the top floor which we were on were horrendous. They are so dangerous and so small, carrying your suitcase up there is a death wish. We finally arrived and saw our room which was actually pretty decent. Big enough for 3 of us and spacious and the shower was good too. We slept fine for the first 3 nights and then I came to our fourth night and we heard a rustling. This was at 1am in the morning, we heard another rustling then my friend screamed out of her skin and saw a rat! This is no word of a lie, it was disgusting. We ran down to reception to tell them and he kindly gave us a new room to stay in for free, however this new room had 4 bunk beds and was so small and stuffy.
We then went back to our old room to get the remainder of the stuff wed left up there such as shampoo, conditioner, deo, all the basics and found out someone had binned them and moved in yet we still had the key. We went down to reception and they said it was common sense to move everything with you even though it was 5am in the morning and a rat has just been running around in our room.
Until then we were having a good time but it put a downer on the end.
If I was reading the review for this hotel id take them on board and consider changing hotels if you've already booked. It's horrendous!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bethan_O20
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My friend and I traveled to Amsterdam from the US in June 2013 and stayed at the Hotel Continental City Center. Although it is named "Hotel Continental" this place is really more of a hostel than a hotel. The rooms are very tiny. The double room we stayed in had a shower and a sink as well as a bunk bed and a desk with chair. There is no bathroom in the room, no air conditioner, and virtually no space to move. I believe there was a TV in there, but we didn't hang around the hotel room long enough to use it. The layout and construction of the hotel is bizarre. There are staircases everywhere and short hallways with a few rooms. I found two bathrooms total in the hotel to be shared between all the rooms which does not seem adequate to me.

We found that the staff spoke English very well, and they were friendly and helpful. The friendly staff and the central location are the reasons that I rated the hotel 2 instead of 1.

The location is close to Amsterdam Centraal train station, Dam Square, and the city tram. It is on the main street, Damrak which is great if you want to be in the center of everything. During the day the area is filled with tourists exploring the city. At night, however, packs of noisy youths fill the area. There are 2 coffee shops right next to the hotel, and large groups hang out around them and smoke marijuana (If you didn't already know, coffee shops in Amsterdam sell marijuana products.) At night all of central Amsterdam smells like marijuana smoke. There is at least one bar and one coffee shop on every block there, so the place gets pretty rowdy at night. The red light district is also a short walk away. If you are looking to have a wild and crazy time and want a hotel near all the action, this is a great location for that.

I am not really into the wild night life, so for me the location was not so good. It was noisy outside while I was trying to sleep, and if you open the window the smell of marijuana and tobacco smoke fills the room. If you aren't into the night life, I would recommend looking at hotels on the west side of Amsterdam in the Jordaan district.That part of town is very scenic and less busy, and it is still close enough to get to most of the attractions in central Amsterdam and also close to the tram.

I feel that the price I paid was too much for this hotel. You really are paying for the central location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
luton
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location! Me & my partner stayed here last new year and got a nasty shock after paying £500 for 3 nites! Ok we wernt expecting the Hilton but the place was run down and filthly we even had to clean the floor when we arrived! the bathroom was something else shower curtain was broke and room was so small u could hardly move! would never stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank hotcaz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

3 mates on a short stay in a very basic room with an en-suite toilet, it was perfect for the base that we needed it for but I would not bring Mrs Bignose for a romantic trip, 3 minute walk from Amsterdam station and 10 second walk from nightlife

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends