New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Only for the diehards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hemp Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hemp Hotel
You added Hemp Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #263 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“Only for the diehards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is not for many, unless you want to relive university days. Mattresses on the floor, cats in the hallway, the worn and chipped walls of the room painted with bad scenery, shared (tiny) toilet and the slightly sickly sweet smell of marijuana in the stairwell - which is an almost vertical climb, narrow even by Dutch standards. While breakfast is included, it is - bizarrely - only served from 11am! The hotel is not expensive, but there are better choices for as good value nearby. Many reviews rave about the welcome, but for us it was perfunctory and focused on getting our cash payment on arrival. With windows open there is street noise at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank TravellingAussie1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've staid 3 times at the HEM in the past 2 years. The Hotel is simple but cheap.The staff is very helpful the rooms are clean. No frills. Internet is free but spotty. Some rooms fit 3 beds in the space usually meant for 1. Don't look for room service or flat screen TV's in your room, Spartan is the key word for the HEM. Pizza parlour in Lobby has great Ribs with spaghetti. They also have a restaurant and bar with pool tables and big screen TV in the basement. Small local shopping mall 5 minutes or less away has bank, pharmacy, grocery, bakery and hardware stores. I always shop here for water, drinks , and other snacks for my room or trips into town. 15 minute walk over the many bridges and you'll find a slew of restaurants and pubs and more Dutch style stores including a great cheese store next to it a wine and spirits vendor .. Less than 10 minute walk to the main street and you take the tram directly into town. I walked it once it took just under an hour.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Charlieg147
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

You get what they say you will get. My room was nice and clean and different. The staircase is best labeled an adventure. The staff are all as friendly and helpful as they can be. Locals hang out in the bar so you can pick up good local knowledge at night

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ForrestWalker
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was charmed with the place, very comfortably and cozy and personally very agreeable age. When I came I surprised pleasingly that they provide access wifi free. It helped us very much on having planned our days.
Amsterdam is a wonderful city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mjdunhill1982
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hemp hotel from 29/3/13 - 3/4/13

"A lovely little place" probably best sums up the hemp hotel (I know I'm not the first reviewer to say that, and it's easy to see why) the staff at the hotel are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I stayed as a solo traveller (first time solo holiday and first time to Amsterdam!) and they couldn't of made my stay any more comfortable. Breakfast is nice too.

The rooms are themed and fairly basic but nonetheless comfortable and a good place to get your head down after a long day.

Probably worth mentioning that although the hemp hotel doesn't sell weed they do have an amazing bar which is one of the very few places in Amsterdam where you can drink alcohol and smoke weed (bring your own obviously) wonderful chilled atmosphere and lovely people. Going back in August, can't wait! :)

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Jamebish
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I loved the place, very comfy and cozy and the staff were very nice. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised that they provided free wifi. Helped alot when planning out our days. Amsterdam is kinda easy to get lost in, especially when partaking in the local herbs. Location is great and the price is right. 5 minute walk from Hermitage Museum, 10-15 from Rijksmuseum, 20 minute from Anne-Frank House and Amsterdam Center. Loved it and when I go back to Amsterdam I will go back to Hemp Hotel. Try the Toasties...mmm Toasties.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ekim1979
Holbeach, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After reading all the dodgy reviews, I was kind of worried about coming here. However, as soon as I arrived at the Hemp I literally had no idea what anyone was talking about who had said how bad this place was, I fell in love with it!! I'm a bit of a clean freak so I was freaking out that this place would be dirty, and yeah the rooms aren't immaculate by any stretch, but apart from a bit of dust and some scuffs on the walls there was literally nothing to complain about. The bed, sink and carpet were clean and that's all that matters really. We stayed in the Indian room which is on the first floor, and I honestly fell in love with this room. The decor is beautiful - hand painted murals on the walls, lovely vibrant furnishings and ornaments, it was right to my taste and it was such a lovely environment to be in. It was really nice to get a break from your average bleak, loveless hotel room and stay in somewhere which oozed sentiment and personality. The staff we met were both lovely and helpful, the breakfast we had was basic but really fresh and tasty. I would recommend anyone who stays here to have a night in the bar, it's such a laugh. We spent a night down there chilling with the regulars and ended up playing a game of scrabble until about 3am, which was quite amusing! They also give very generous measures haha!!
There were a few minor problems we came across during our stay that others have mentioned on here; the stairs are absolutely terrifying at first but you do get used to them, luckily we only had to go up one flight to get to our room as we had big suitcases, but if we had been on the 2nd or 3rd floor I have no idea how we would've managed with our luggage - anyone with mobility problems could not cope here at all. Secondly, the toilet is literally a cubicle, you have to do a very awkward 360 degree spin even to flush the toilet, you can barely get out the door without being crushed. You also have to pull the door really hard for it to lock so the banging could be an issue in the night for people either side of the toilet. It is also kind of annoying have to go up the horrible stairs to use the toilet if you are staying in the Indian room. But its bearable. Also the noise at night was kind of annoying, although it only occurred on our first night here when I think the room above us had a party, the ceiling was so creaky and the heavy metal music they were playing was soo loud even from the floor above. Also when anyone walks up or down the stairs it bangs on the ceiling. As i said these issues are minor and didn't ruin our stay in the slightest, I definitely will be back at this hotel and anyone looking for a unique, authentic place to stay, come here, this place really does capture the spirit of the Dam!

Room Tip: Indian Room!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple