“Do yourself a favour and sleep in the bins outside they are cleaner! I”
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam
Ranked #97 of 238 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 18, 2006

If you have Booked this hovel of a hostel (how the hell they can call it a hotel is beyond me!) Then Cancel it and sleep in the bins outside they are cleaner, and i swear im not joking. If your Money is Non Refundable, take a loss i swear you will thank me in the end.

Two of us managed to book into another hotel, we were not so lucky due to England playing there everything was booked up! We had to go and buy bugbombs, sleeping bags and matress protecters!

We came home one night to find the door wide open, all our stuff rifled through and the duty free missing.

Avoid at all costs

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank connersstoke
There are newer reviews for Heart of Amsterdam

Reviewed November 15, 2006

Just got back from Amsterdam about 4 hours ago and couldnt wait to add this review, what an absolute toliet of an hotel.

All I can say is if you've booked - CANCEL IT, we really didnt have that much choice but to stay, because we've been over there for the England game and everywhere was booked up, except for 2 of our lads that managed to find another hotel close by.

Anyway we got there went to reception and some arrogant bald bloke sat there whining about we'd only booked a room for 2 despite my expedia paper work saying 3 rooms for a total of 7. Eventually he sorted them rooms and we went upto the triple room which, someone was cleaning (and i use the term loosely) when we arrived. We waited outside the door for 20 mins, then went in to find we'd got 3 smashed and boarded up windows, the door of the room was hanging off, the mattresses were badly stained the beds were bent, the safe was just sitting on a chair, the bed linen was dirty, and dont even mention the stained toilet.

Now we had read the reviews, so we werent expecting the ritz and it was booked and paid for on an expedia special rate (not so special really at £561.18 for 2 nights).

Anyway 2 of the lads decided immediately to seek alternative accomodation but the rest of use beared with it, we took our flea bomb and set it off and headed for the pub.

We can back 2 hours later to find, someone had got the key to out room and been through our thing, with 1 bottle of aftershave missing.

Anyway I immediately complained to the management of the hotel and they just told me to contact expedia, which I did but unfortunately they could not relocate us due to the football. Anyway we then went out for the rest of the night taking the keys with us and putting a chair behind the door to see if it would be disturbed. Thank-fully it wasnt.

Well we had a good night out and came back put our mattress protectors (aquired in the UK thanks to tripadvisor reports) and got in our sleeping bags (also aquired in UK following reports - so was the flea bomb).

Well then really the answer was only to sleep in the flea pit of a hotel, in our sleeping bags on top of mattress protector which we did for 1 more night, and got out of there as early as possible the next morning.

Oh and although we had the foresight to take out own bedding and mattress protectors and towels, the staff did nothing by way of cleaning or servicing the rooms on the 2nd day.

NEEDLESS TO SAY WE WONT EVER BE GOING BACK!!!!!

YES IVE COMPLAINED TO EXPEDIA

AND EMAILLED THE NETHERLANDS TOURIST BOARD

Its that bad!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank MrShez
Reviewed September 27, 2006

It's cheap. It's definitely in the Heart of Amsterdam. However, the bedbugs will feast on you at night and you will wake up to your own blood in your bed from squished bedbugs. Not to mention the irritating itching and scratching for days afterwards. We went in a huge group. Four of us got bitten by bedbugs and we all had to spend money afterwards seeing the doctors and getting medicines for the bites when we got back to the U.S. ( cheap hotel + doctor visits = expensive in the end). So I wouldn't stay here. It really isn't worth the discomfort. (Imagine being on a sightseeing tour but not really paying attention because you keep scratching and/or looking for a pharmacy) Keep your bags away from the beds as you don't want to take the bugs home with you. By the way, the breakfast is a joke. It's just random stuff that can hardly be called a meal.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled with friends
3  Thank xstatix
Reviewed September 21, 2006

I stayed here with a group of friends, my boyfriend and I had booked a double room (not cheap) 125 euros per night. We were both bitten by the bugs in the bed. How this place stays open I don't understand. The staff could not or would not do anything to help.
Its a rip off ,beware ,its not even cheap

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank JuJuJuJuJuju
Kazakhstan
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in May. I did not stay in a dormitory but in a private room. The room itself was clean and satisfactory with a view over-looking the canal below. In addition, I had my own private bathroom facilities and a working television. I have stayed in many budget hotels in Amsterdam and these luxuries are seldom awarded to the weary-eyed traveller.

The staff was friendly and accomodating. The only real downside was the noise level because of the location of the hotel. I did not really have a problem with this becasue I am a deep-sleeper, however, I could understand how someone might. When leaving the hotel the staff asks that you leave your key at the desk. This is becasue of all the theieves and scammers who loiter around the red-light district. You need to practice saying, "No, thank you," to the many drug dealers if you plan to frequent this area.

All in all, the stay was pleasant and worth the money paid. I would highly advise appropriating a private room if you have the extra coin.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Staff were cheery, but that's probably because they're raking in money for doing absolutely nothing. Bed sheets had blood on them and weren't changed. They don't actually clean the rooms, just spray lemon stuff around. Steer well clear of this place unless skin infections appeal to you. Left covered in bites.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
spain
Reviewed April 19, 2006

stayed at this excuse for a hotel a few months ago and would never EVER venture there again. i was visiting the city with another female friend and both of us have a sense of adventure but this was extreme!!! we shared a7 bedded dorm which we appreciated would in no way be private, but i didn´t expect the utter filthiness of the place. i passed down the small dirty staircase passing the bathroom (this term is used in the most loosest sense!!) to our room. the room was strewn with dogends and spliff butts, and stank to high heaven. that night it rained and i kid you not, the room was waterlogged!! i had to wade through the water to go to bed! i told the staff but they really didn´t give a toss or make any effort to mop it up(though, in fairness, there was so much water a mop would´ve been useless.). so, i get to my bed and theres a body in there, in my sleeping bag!!! poor fella assumed this was his be because all the others had bodies already occupying them or were bare, no sheets at all. i felt awful but piked him out anyway. i stayed here for2 nights, never washed or showered and slept in my clothes for fear of contamination. the communal basement dorms here should be shut down!!!!!!!!! it truely is a disgrace, and no matter how small your budget, don´t stay here. save more money or don´t bothere going at all until a later date, staying here would ruin it for you. thats a promise.

• Stayed: November 2005