“Standard base camp”
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam
Ranked #114 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Spent 3 nights in a shared accommodation of 8, rooms were spartan and a bit dingy but clean and comfy beds. Staff were helpful and informative and top location.
Good for the budget traveler, but if money can be burned i'd look else where.
Points for a clockwork orange painted on my accommodation door though.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely crap rat poison under my bed
Bathrooms a mess paper thin walls untidy linen
Terrible house brekky.

Stay as a whole was appalling.

Better off sleepimg with one of the red light district women

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Nice little hostel. Clean and good service. Only issue was we went during summer, the room is painted black and I slept terribly. No air conditioning cant remember any fans, it didn't work if there were. Great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My partner and I had a private room with en suite, room number 1. Only steps we encountered were the ones entering the hostel. It was everything we needed for a 3 day stay. Clean and fully functioning with TV and shower. Little noisy at night with other hostellers but that's what you expect when on holiday in Amsterdam! Reception staff very helpful with regard to local attractions and taxis after getting ripped off at the airport on the way to the hostel we decided to trust them organising us a taxi on the way back, which they did for half the price (with a very professional gentleman taxi driver). We had a locker I'm the room for our more valuable goods which we had our own key for, making it feel a little more secure. As previous reviews mention it is a hostel and it is in red light, but that's what we wanted and loved every second we spent there.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This establishment makes use of hotel touts which look for travelers from amongst other places, Centraal Station. Once they have offered their assistance, they take you to various hotels, obviously for a fee. This hotel offered me a room, at quite a hefty price. After paying, I was taken downstairs to a basement where I had to share the basement with about 10 other people. When I complained, I was told that the other rooms upstairs are more expensive. I was also told that I should guard my personal belongings as theft is quite common. Needless to say, I did not stay the night. This place will not see me again. It is also not a hotel, but a hostel at best. To be fair though, they do serve a good breakfast. The selection below does not allow all dates. I travelled there in 2002.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank f_labuschagne
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The location of the hostel is amazing, completely in the middle of everything and only a few minutes walk from Dam square. I went with a group of 6 friends, all 18 and we got the six person private room with our own bathroom. The rooms were clean, fresh sheets and new towels each day. The breakfast in the morning was free and was just enough, with a selection of bread and condiments. Our bedroom was right at the front of the hotel and never had an issue with noise and the staff were very helpful. The value for money is excellent and I highly recommend it to any tourist, especially groups of friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank _elliedavidson1
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I would recommend this place for its location and price. Right in the centre you are in the middle of the red light district and only a short walk from Damrak and Centrum.

I found this hostel to be a tad heavy on the street noise, the 8-bed dorm I stayed in was at the bottom with doors leading onto the main street. There was an international football match in town so maybe this was an exception.

The staff were friendly, the guests seemed fine and despite some minor construction work in progress, the hostel was generally clean and in good condition.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends