“Comfortable in great location”
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam
Ranked #97 of 226 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent three nights at this hostel in a private room. We'd deliberately booked a hostel instead of a hotel because we didn't have that much money to spend, but looking back we probably should have just spent the extra cash and had some good nights' sleep...
On arrival at the hostel we found that our window was jammed. Not as in "closed and impossible to open", but... "open and impossible to close". Too bad we were on the street side of the hostel. The (very unfriendly) lady at reception told us the maintenance guy was unavailable that day, but that he would come around and fix things the day after. Needless to say he never showed and we had the worst three nights of sleep ever. It's a really noisy neighbourhood anyway and sleeping with the window open is just a recipe for disaster. Not to mention the roadworks right outside the door that started way too early in the morning, or the gang of drunken teens that occupied the room above ours and stumbled up and down the stairs all night.
We stayed at the American Beauty room, which was alright in itself, except the beds are TINY. My boyfriend could only just fit his feet into the bed and let me tell you he's actually rather short for a guy. No idea what tall guys would do in this room. Thumbs up for the bathroom though, it was clean and spacious.
Overall we might have spent less on this hostel than we would have spent on a hotel, but we still paid way too much for a stay this uncomfortable. Would advise anyone to scrape together their last pennies and get a proper hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights and it was a great place. My room looked newly refurbished so everything was all good and really clean. Location is good too. Staff was nice and always very helpful. Guess the only downside was the rooms had no AC/ventilation so it was very hot, hard to sleep. Also lacking a good common area to hang out.
But overall a very nice hostel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank koffi001
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights; the hostel is all painted dark which makes it really depressing. There's a rubbish communal area making it hard to meet people and its mainly full of stoners. The location was however very good right in the heart of amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Not great. The darkness of the rooms might cynically be suspected of being an attempt to hide the less than perfect surroundings. very loud at night too. I could not recommend this place though the staff did their best to try and help.

• Stayed July 2013
Stryn, Norway
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent three nights at the heart of amsterdam and I had really good time, great location, clean room with fresh towels every morning free of charge can't tell anything about breakfast because I got up late every moarning but apparently it cost you 3 Euros to join it...Some of old review was saying no good things about the stuff which I didn't have problem myself actually their were very friendly and helpfull, in my case I forgot my phone charger back home and my phone was dead first nite there I went down at the reception ask a guy there if there was any payphone that I could use it to make a phone call he said no and pulled his personal phone out of the pocket and let me have a international call free of charges, I even try to get him a beer for the favor but he refused it so, big up for the heart of amsterdam stuff and definitely I will be back there for my next trip to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: I stayed at room in the back of the building and it was fine some guys stay out side in the back cha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Heart of Amsterdam is right in the centre of the red light district (so plenty of coffeeshops, bars and sex shows within seconds of a walk). Stayed in a 8 bed private hostel room which was a decent size and of a good standard. Electrical plug by each bed which was useful. Could have done with more than one bathroom. Beds were changed every morning and given new towels. The rooms can get very hot but they do provide a fan. The breakfast is 3 euros, but is there is very little selection. We ended up going for a McDonalds breakfast each morning which worked out cheaper. Wasn't very loud at night as everything around the hostel seem to shut at around 1am, so was very easy to sleep. Staff very helpful, providing maps and discount vouchers. there is a smoking area at the back of the hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends