“awesome place in amsterdam”
Review of Sunhead of 1617

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunhead of 1617
Ranked #45 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I absolutely love staying at the Sunhead of 1617. I have been staying there annually for the last six years and have always had an excellent experience. The location is fantastic; on a quiet canal street just a few blocks from Dam Square. The interior decor is beautiful, contemporary, and importantly, very comfortable. I wish I had decorating taste like the owners. Finally, the staff are extremely friendly and courteous. In sum, I highly recommend this place for a visit to amsterdam.

Reviewed August 12, 2007

We selected the Sunhead based on positive reviews I read here and could not have been happier. My family of 4 took both the Red and Yellow rooms on the top floor. This was an excellent setup giving us lots of room to spread out in and essentially our own private floor. We did tend to migrate to the Red room as it had wonderful views of one of the canals and we found it relaxing to watch the many different boats slide by. Both rooms had small refrigerators and espresso makers and the Red room also had a mircowave. This allowed us to shop at the nearby grocery store and save money on dinners. The breakfasts were always delicious as Carlos made different egg dishes, had fresh fruit, breads and cheese. We never left hungry. The location can't be beat as you are a very short walk to the main square but are still on a quite street. The only thing for some to consider is that to reach the top floor there is a fairly narrow winding staircase which you will have to navigate with your luggage. For some this might prove to be difficult but should not put off most people. If I return to Amsterdam I would be delighted to again stay at the Sunhead and would highly recommend it to others.

Reviewed July 29, 2007

Very nice, well located, friendly B&B. We stayed in the yellow narcissus room at the top which was clean and bright with comfortable beds. Top marks for breakfast - I think I ate a whole goat's cheese because I just couldn't put it down - and many thanks to Carlos for returning the clothes which I foolishly left behind. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2007

Sunhead is a beautifully appointed and well restored canal house on the Herrengracht. It's a great central location. The rooms are very comfortable. Carlos does a great breakfast! If you want some authentic Amsterdam living go here!! Tim Robinson, Hamburg

Reviewed July 27, 2007

Very clean,
Nice people
Excellent breakfast
Very convenient place in Jordan area, close to the DAM

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 24, 2007

We have just returned from an absolutely amazing trip to Amsterdam. The Bed & Breakfast where we stayed was truly fantastic. It was centrally located and offered such tasteful decoration! The hosts too were extremely friendly and helpful.

The outcome of a holiday can be significantly influenced by where you choose to stay and if going to Amsterdam, we would strongly recommend staying at Sunhead Bed & Breakfast or Apartments - as we will do again in the future - as the experience was truly pleasant!

Reviewed July 19, 2007

I recently had the good fortune to stay at the Sunhead of 1617 B&B in Amsterdam at what must be one of the most ideal locations in this beautiful city, a five min. walk from Dam Square.
"Live" is probably the better word, for my stay lasted one month!

On arrival my luggage was taken to the red room overlooking the historic Herengracht, by Arno, who also took the time to explain the workings of all the gadgets in the room. The stairs were perfectly manageable, even for an acrophobic like myself.
The room had an understated, old Dutch charm, with a small micro, coffee machine, kettle, TV, telephone, fan and free internet access.. The establishment is kept squeaky clean by charming, helpful , Arno and Edward. After a long flight from Canada, it was pure bliss to snuggle into a crisp, clean bed, under the ancient wooden beams. I was home.

Breakfast was prepared and served by a very entertaining and informative host/owner, Carlos. Fresh fruit cup, a variety of fresh juices, delicious Dutch breads and cheeses, eggs, ham and good coffee.

On the very first morning, the guests were invited on a boat trip on the canals by attentive co-host/owner Roelf-Jan. This happens on an impromtu basis, weather permitting.

Sunhead is a relaxed, quiet, non-smoking place, and although the hosts/staff are always ready to assist you, they are not the hovering kind.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank maplelleaf