“Quite a Find!”
Review of Sunhead of 1617

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunhead of 1617
Ranked #37 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I loved this B&B, the owners, and Amsterdam. I would return in a heartbeat!

The B&B is in a prime location. You can’t beat it for accessibility to the train, museums, and the view of the canal from your room window is unbelievable! In good weather, the walk from the train station with rolling luggage is very enjoyable (get out the camera). The owners were so helpful with our planning, offering suggestions, and emailing repeatedly (per our request). Upon arrival, they still provided more assistance with tickets, taxis, and recommendations as well as cheerful banter over breakfast. The room was very clean, decorated beautifully, quiet, and modern yet rustic. This B&B did not feel stuffy or cluttered like many do, but rather sleek and inviting. The breakfasts were amazing and I’m still craving the fruit parfait. I can only think of 3 negative aspects of this B&B: no outlets near the mirror (remodeled by men), no washcloths, and early breakfast was not really an option (as we tend to get rolling to sites early). If you have issues with stairs, be aware as there are many and they are steep, just as in all historic Amsterdam homes. There is absolutely no reason why you should look for another place to stay. Enjoy Rembrandt, Van Gogh, the tulips, the windmills, apple pie, ice cream waffles, and your cozy Jasmine room, complete with kitty cat and gorgeous canal view!

Room Tip: Jasmine Room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank COhotelcritic
There are newer reviews for Sunhead of 1617

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have been lucky to find places like this wherever I have travelled. That really sweet combination of place, gracious hospitality, and those breakfasts. It's the Holy Trinity of Really Nice Places to Stay, and when it's done well, it's a wonderful start to the day, and a refuge at the end. Roelf and Carlos deserve the accolades. All of them.
I stayed for 5 nights in the Tulip Room. The room is well worth the stairs.

Thanx for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: I stayed for 5 nights in the Tulip Room. The room is well worth the stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2013

It was our first time in Amsterdam and what an amazing experience. We read all the fantastic reviews Sunhead got and decided to go there although. We stayed in the Narcissus room (upper floor) for four nights. The room was a bit small but we see this as an advantage, its an old house but with the right dutch atmosphere. it was clean and decent and was perfect to us.

Carlos and Roelf-Jan hospitality was amazing, we felt at home, little treats, great breakfast, warm welcome, tips and advice, in short, everything you could expect.
the location is absolutely fantastic, its in the canal and in a walking distance from the nice streets and regions.

in summary, we would definitely return to this place in our next visit !!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

My lovely spouse and I spent four fabulous nights at this charming place. The Sunhead is located in the canal area and close to every attraction the city has to offer.
Carlos & Roelf welcomed us in a lovely breakfast with raspberry smoothies and other delicious work arts.
The room (Narcissus) was neat and causey with a nice shower and a comfortable bed.
We highly recommend to stay there and enjoy the Amsterdam spirit and the great hospitality this couple has to offer.

1  Thank Keren D
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is the Best! I mean the BEST... Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed at!!! From the beautiful decorated Home and great beautiful rooms to stay in, you feel like your at home comfort wise but the bed is the best (great sleep). I just can't say enough about how Wonderful this place is to stay. Should be #1 Place in Amsterdam to stay. Location is great and close to everything. Had a Great time and would highly recommend staying here. I will be back as soon as I can and would only go if I could stay with Carlos for his delicious breakfast he prepares in the morning for his guests. Carlos, Thanks so much for all the hospitality and you were right about the drive to airport... was easy and so relaxing...great way to end a great vacation! I Miss Amsterdam already! I stayed here twice while on vacation. First time was for 5 days and it was so grea,t I stayed again for my last night in Amsterdam before I went back to USA. Stay Here! Great Value too!!!!

Room Tip: I got lucky to see every room they had since we needed 2 rooms and every single room was absolutely...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

From the moment we arrived until the sad moment we left it was the best experience I have ever had in accommodations. I couldn't wait for the absolute incredible breakfast that was accompanied by very social warm chat every morning. Carlos and Jan-Roelf are the perfect hosts! The rooms are quaint and very modern. The location was perfect in every way. I just can't say enough about the entire experience! We can't wait to go back! I would recommend this jewel to anyone even passing through Amsterdam. One night or the four we just HAD to stay gives your trip the perfect balance. If I could give it a 10 I would!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the whole house! They are all perfect!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I chose Sunhead for my first visit to Amsterdam, based on previous TripAdvisor reviews. I wanted somewhere completely different to the normal 'corporate' hotels that I spent many years staying in, through my work. This was a 60th birthday present to myself and my wife and I wanted to mark it in a special way. Thanks to Carlos and Jan-Roelf, I can say without hesitation that we certainly did! This must surely be the number one destination for anyone seeking to escape the bland, faceless, magnolia served up by the hotel chains. If we could award it 10 stars, we would. It's that good. The room we stayed in oozed charm and unspoilt character. Carlos and Jan-Roelf made so much effort to make us feel at home, that by breakfast on our first morning, we really did feel at home. As for the breakfasts... divine! Kept us going all day. The location is perfect for sightseeing, with all the main attractions just a few minutes walk away. The highlight of our stay, was sailing past Sunhead on the canal boat tour, and seeing it from the water. Carlos and Jan-Roelf go out of their way to make your stay perfect, even going to the trouble and expense of pre-ordering Museum Cards for our arrival. We can't thank you both enough, thank you Carlos and Jan-Roelf for making my big 6-0 so memorable. Perfect!

Trevor and Jean, Southampton, UK