Sunhead of 1617
$276
$260
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Van Gogh(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$143
$85
Hostelworld.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had a great stay in SunHead! As reviews state, the hosts are fantastic, as are the breakfasts. Room and bathroom was spotless. From the outside this building is the nicest on the whole street, and is in a great location. If I ever go back to Ansterdam, this is where I will be staying.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the sunhead over the weekend. Carlos and Jan are wonderful hosts. Carlos is a whizz in the kitchen, our breakfast was the best we've tasted in a hotel or b&b. Will definitely be coming back to Amsterdam and staying at the sunhead.
Thanks again for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I know...it's Amsterdam, we booked our best deal through KLM because of the extra room in my seat..KLM arrives and leaves from Amsterdam so almost as an after thought we researched places to stay for a few days in Amsterdam through Trip Advisor and other travel sites and I'm glad we did...it became clear that people enjoyed Sunhead of 1617 BnB...a lot....and I now know why...
After a lovely 3 weeks walking Italy's mountain towns and Lake towns where we spent most of our time walking uphill, we liked Amsterdams pleasently flat and easily navagatable streets...in fact our host Carlos encouraged us to try walking from the Central Train Station and gave perfect directions and even more options...our correspondence started with e-mails and we enjoyed Carlos's sense of humor as we made arrangements to stay....Both he and his partner Roelf run an exceptional business right in the heart of Amsterdam...Since we stayed 3 days we realized how convenient Sunhead is....we literally walked a lovely 20 minute easily followed path from the station and the visuals were a great way to see the beautiful buildings and structure of Amsterdam...we were able to stroll around the CENTRAL and see a great deal of what is a very nice city...We live in S.F. and find this city easy to plot out with day walks and art to see and Canals to ride on...all within an easy stroll..so, we did all those things...our favorite is the Van Gogh Museum,really worth it..and the Canal day pass was just right..after a 4 hour tour of the Van Gough one day .. The next day we lazed through the canals all afternoon and it was easy to go from tour to tour....a floating Chinese Restaurant in the Harbor...made us smile...among the new looking Amsterdam buildings it has a place in the skyline
So as we got to know Carlos and Roelf they were very helpful and gave good advise for how and when' to plan to see the Van Gogh for instance, don't forget to book ahead, here is how you do that...To me, a self planned trip, while frustrating at times is always made easier and better when your hosts understand and help you plan a good experience...there are a lot of uncertainties in travel...that's why we do it...but Sunhead made us feel we had made the right choice about where to stay.
We stayed in the Tulip Room on the top floor of the building...was it a tight staircase? You bet your tootsies it was a tight staircase...but we understood what to expect from Carlos and put everything we would need in one suitcase and I took my time and it is fine...I think it should be noted there is no elevator...but hell I'm 66 and it was doable....the pluses far outweigh that challenge...Carlos let us keep our second bag downstairs for the whole stay...another headache avoided...we spent our last night in the Jasmine room and when the room was ready The houseman kindly brought the bag down to our new room..
The Rooms...1617 is a long time ago...and buildings here are narrow and deep from those days...but Carlos has made the Tulip Room an exquisite piece of art...high beams he painted himself add character to the attic style roof...at first I did not notice the pieces he selected to decorate this room...elegant and strong at the same time...we had a couch, a chair a large window to watch the Canal right outside and the room had all we needed...space, comfortable bed, clean and efficient bathroom, enough soft lighting to light the whole space...it is a lovely room and we got the feel of Old Amsterdam...The Jasmine Room, while not as dramatic is one floor below and has a more active street view, meaning we could watch all the folks as they made their way around town...and watch all.the Canal action as well...again, Carlos has made a lovely space with his own wall painting and colorful style....we preferred the Tulip Room and Roelf mentioned they are working on combining the two top floor rooms into a Tulip Suite....that would be awesome...front and back views, more space, a really nice place to spend time in Amsterdam
The breakfast area, while small...is not made to accommodate large groups..however every morning we all looked forward to a most delicious and lively breakfast...we shared the room with 2 other couples during our stay...and we giggled like kids talking about our adventures in the city...the guys were there with warm roles, a great "waker- upper" smoothie of fresh fruit and fresh ginger...I loved that...then coffee or tea with...scrambled eggs with bacon or salmon...just great, easily the best "provided" breakfast we had on our trip and we stayed at about 10 different places across Italy....everyday was a different creation from the small but efficient kitchen and we sat and enjoyed sharing stories with our fellow travelers which is always fun for me..and in the intimate atmosphere it is easy to spend your morning gabbing and talking story with Carlos and Roelf...
So when it came time to trekk the streets for food and culture...with good advice we found it easy to walk, easy to find our way...most Dutch speak better English than I do...I know two other couples from Hawaii we could share a stay with at his BnB...they will love this place

Again, on the business end...helpful and efficient...we asked them for help with an early morning cab to maybe the train station and then train to the airport...Carlos good naturedly chastised us saying we earned a cab to the airport...Spring for the ride...and actually I'm glad we did ...it rained that morning so for 30 eoro we got the the airport in time to get our boarding passes, go to the gate to see what was up..and have an early snack...Carlos had a smoothie and a warm panini for each of us when we left yesterday and it smelled so good we eat that for breakfast..in the airport..looking forward to having a reason to be there again..
Thanks guys, always, M and J

Room Tip: Two folks can be comfortable in Tulip or Jasmine Room...if stairs are an issue I would stay one floor below...still it is 20 or more steps to the middle floor...and you meet yourself ...it's close We liked how easy it is to trekk the Central from here. Hop on Hop off BOAT...not BUS is great One green line boat switches to a red line boat for a different route and you don't even change boats..we liked that...and it's about 5-10 minutes walk from Sunhead
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We recently spent several days at Sunhead. The owners were gracious and engaging. The room was well-appointed with everything we needed as we toured the many points of interest in this area. It is handy to Amsterdam Centraal and there are several nice eating places in the area. The breakfast Carlos fixed us both mornings we were there were superb.

Room Tip: Like many accommodations in the area, there are steep stairs to upper rooms, but Roelf helped us with our cases.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here and we just fell in love the minute we walked into the place. Carlos and Roelf are amazing hosts and we love the breakfast Carlos served everyday. The place is close to everything, shopping, amazing restaurants, museums and place is right there in front of a canal, not to mention the best apple pie ever recommended by Carlos, Winkel. What an amazing experience and I highly recommend this place. We just LOVE it!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family