Sunhead of 1617
$367
Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$379
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$238
$326
$276
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Many thanks to Carlos and Roelf-Jan for making my stay in Amsterdam so memorable.

Sunhead is conveniently located to many sites, is tastefully decorated, and breakfast really was delicious.

I would recommend Sunhead to anyone planning to visit Amsterdam, and would not stay anywhere else should I have to return someday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I heard of Sunhead from two very good friends of mine that stayed there on their honeymoon. They wanted a place that was sweet and quiet but not too far from the city’s tourist sites. So, on my next trip to Europe, I decided to visit Amsterdam and booked a room at Sunhead.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Carlos and Roelf-Jan were so informative and accommodating. They gave me good tips on what places to see to make the most of my vacation and even went out of their way to procure museum and rail tickets for me.

Breakfast was always fresh and very delicious. The tulip room was very clean and comfortable and beautifully furnished. I love the view of the canal from my room.

All in all, I would not hesitate to go back there on my next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We love Amsterdam, and we love Sunhead, this being our third stay at this georgeous Bed and Breakfast. It is a perfect place to stay, right on one of the major canals, and so easy to walk anywhere in Amsterdam. Carlos and Rolf are the perfect hosts, lots of helpful advice and suggestions, fabulous breakfasts, and very entertaining. Rolf kindly carried our bags both up and, later, down the very steep stairs, which are not for anyone with mobility problems, but unavoidable in these superb old Dutch canal houses.
So, why not 5 stars? On previous stays, we have had rooms at the front which have very special views over the Herengracht, but on this occasion we had a room at the back on the first floor, with no view, and the en-suite was really small. This is not really a criticism, but we certainly would have preferred a front room had one been available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank birminghamcorbiere
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We picked this B&B after reading many glowing reviews on trip advisor and it definitely lived up to our expectations. We had the Jasmine room in this heritage listed place which overlooks the herengracht canal and was divine - very clean, loads of character with exposed beam ceilings, comfy bed, it's own nespresso machine. And breakfast is great, good selection of pastries and bread, we got scrambled eggs one morning and panini with apple and prosciutto another, and then you also get what Carlos calls 'desert' of fresh fruit and yoghurt. Of you're lucky, Her Majesty the cat will join you for a quick hello! The only challenge here is steep stairs and carrying suitcases (which Carlos referred to as 'fridges') up them, not easy! All in all would definitely recommend and not hesitate to come back. Location great too, there is a great pub just down the road serving over 60 Dutch beers, worth the visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to visit Amsterdam in September. I found reviews for Sunhead of 1617 that made me believe this was the place to stay. I was right. From my time of booking, including Carlos' advice for parking, everything was perfect. The location is in the heart of old Amsterdam. You can walk everywhere from there. We walked to the Rijkmuseum - tickets printed by Carlos' partner, which saved us standing in line, and the Van Gogh Museum. We wandered the old section and could easily return to our room. There are shops and cafes around the corner and a shop with the best chocolate ever. Our room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful. The food was great. Even better was Carlos' conversation. We had to leave early for the airport on our last day. Carlos was up and had smoothies for our trip. We will remember our stay with fondness and hope to return. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else than at Sunhead of 1617.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple