“My Home in Amsterdam”
Review of Sunhead of 1617

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunhead of 1617
Ranked #40 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was my first time in Amsterdam and my stay at Sunhead 1617 made it even a wonderful experience. Important information was right away given. The rooms are very well appointed especially that coffee machine, the breakfast was as described bed and delicious breakfast - was really delicious and freshly prepared. The area is so quaint and conveniently located especially if one loves to walk, trams though are just nearby. Plus for this place is they maintain rooms very clean, nice big towels, and the view from the room is fantastic.
The day I woke up I thought I was in my home so this is now my home in Amsterdam. Talking with the owners at breakfast made me feel like they are family. I need not say more this is my home in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The tulip room is the best room at the top floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sunhead of 1617

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at Sunhead for 3 nights, a short break from our Paris trip, and thoroughly LOVED our stay. Such a beautiful area, and not far from the train station. The bed and breakfast was walking distance to almost everything we wanted to see as first-timers in the city. The room was charming, well appointed and comfortable, with little touches that showed that the owners really think of your comfort. Waking up to a view of fall colors and then looking out the window to see the Herengracht canal and the city slowly coming to life before your eyes was a treat. Waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread and going down to a delicious breakfast by Carlos, sitting in the kitchen as if you were in a friend's house...we definitely recommend Sunhead and will stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The stairs are steep, as with almost all Amsterdam establishments. Take the 2nd floor room if walkin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I had a delightful stay in this charming bed and breakfast. Its convenient location on a quiet street made it an ideal choice for us. The generous and tasty breakfast and cozy, warm room contributed to the B&B's homey feel. The hosts were very friendly and helpful and it was fun to get to know other guests. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'm a little late in writing my review of this wonderful B&B, but even though it's been a couple of months since my stay, I still think of this place fondly. (And am still dreaming of the fabulous breakfasts I was served each morning!). Carlos is a wonderful host; he cooks amazing breakfasts and he is such a delight to talk to! As others have noted, it is a canal house so the stairs are narrow and steep, and baggage can be quite a haul if you are on the top floor (as I was). However, the Tulip room was perfect! It was great to be on the canal, the room has very high ceilings so had an airy,spacious feeling, and the bathroom was very clean (which is very important to me). Should I return to Amsterdam, I would love to stay at Sunhead again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I must say that we had a truly fabulous time staying at the Sunhead of 1617 B&B in Amsterdam. The location was very convenient and was easy to get to from the central station. We stayed in the Jasmine Room on the 2nd floor. We had a lovely view of the canal and the room had an ensuite with a sink in the room. The room itself was very comfortable and decorated with such loving detail. The proprietors clearly care about the level of comfort and the decor of their B&B. Accomodation aside, I have to say that one simply could not ask for better hosts than Carlos and Roelf - Carlos prepared us a scrumptuous and filling breakfast every morning with Rolf on hand to bring us homemade smoothies, freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee. The hosts are also very knowledgeable about the sights and attractions of Amsterdam. And, be sure to ask Carlos where the best apple pie can be found in Amsterdam! I long to return to the recommended coffee shop! We were also fortunate to be entertained each and every morning with some outlandish and funny anecdotes from Carlos. Believe me - you will have a wonderful stay here at the Sunhead B&B. I know that upon my return to Amsterdam I will certainly stay here once again. Thanks, Carlos and Roelf, for making our stay in Amsterdam memorable, comfortable and very entertaining!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the canal - especially the Jasmine Room - a veritable room with a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Congratulations to Carlos and Roelf-Jan on hosting/operating really an ideal bed and "delicious breakfast" (as the Sunhead's business card accurately points out)! My wife and I can only add to the great reviews this small B&B has already received on TripAdvisor, but the compliments are well-earned. We stayed in the Jasmine room which has a modern shower and bathroom, a separate sink near the coffee/tea table, a desk, chair, and armoire and, most important, two large windows which open out onto the Herengracht canal two stories above street level. The stairs were steep but not unreasonably so. The neighborhood is ideal for visiting Amsterdam; relatively quiet and residential but close to shops, bars, and restaurants. Dropping off our luggage in the late morning for a visit to a WWII marker in the Netherlands countryside was no problem, and we were greeted like friends as opposed to paying guests. Prior to the trip, the answers to our questions were all prompt and informative. While there, we received a map, tips on Amsterdam and more information, and a suggestion for a local cheese shop where we loaded up before heading home. Our breakfast was as expected-croissants, fresh OJ, smoothies, and a panini with mozzarella with a side of poached eggs over asparagus (see photo). Really a nice place to stay. The worst part? Only two nights! Wish we could have spent more time there. Thanks Carlos & Roelf-Jan for a great stay (and thanks, Carlos, for your sentiment about my father-your father was a hero too!) G&C Jones

Room Tip: For the canal view, ask for the Jasmine Room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Thanks to Carlos for being a great host in our recent stay in Amsterdam. The accommodations are great (just be aware of the steep, but navigable stairs, especially to the top floor!!) but the highlights were the great breakfasts and excellent tour advice. Both Carlos and the other guests were very helpful.

Location is very convenient and makes for great walking access to many great attractions.

Room Tip: Back room was fine, although no view of the canal
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple