“Fantastic Experience”
Review of Maes B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maes B & B
Ranked #33 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Milwaukee, USA
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed July 2, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a 15 day trip to Amsterdam, Paris and London. Our 5 day stay with Ken and Vlad was the best part of the trip by far. I have travelled extensively in the US, but this was my first trip to Europe, and the first time I've ever stayed in a B&B.

For starters, I found the experience of staying in a B&B to be much better than staying in a hotel. We got to know the other guests who were staying there right away, which would never have happened in a hotel and really enhanced our travel experience.

Although I can't compare our experience at Mae's with other B&B's, it was clear to me that Ken and Vlad are incredibly hard workers who attend to every detail and strive for perfection. For instance, there were 3 beautiful orchids in our room, and more beautiful flowers in the kitchen. The pictures, wall hangings and bathroom decorations were all simple yet very attractive and completely cozy. On top of that, Vlad is a wonderful host - very personable, engaging and funny and of course very helpful and full of good information. Vlad very quickly became a good buddy, and we shared a lot of fun stories and laughter with him.

We stayed in the annex, in a small room that was right off the communal kithchen. Greatest thing about the annex is the outdoor terrace, which is right outside the kitchen. The weather was really great while we were there, and we spent hours on that terrace, including about half of our breakfasts.

All the other glowing comments posted in Trip Advisor about this place are absolutely true - the breakfast is excellent, Ken and Vlad are very knowledgable conceirges, the food in the Thai restaurant is outstanding and their staff are wonderful. Cautionary comments are also accurate; stairs are very steep and narrow (our bags were wider than the steps so Vlad carried them up for us), people coming home from the bars whistling and singing at 2 am woke us up but they were so entertaining that we didn't mind, no lock on the individual rooms but the house is locked.

Bottom line for us is that we will back again - hopefully many times. Ken and Vlad, I know you read these reviews so I just wanted to thank you again for the wonderful experience. Bonnie and I will be in touch very soon to discuss plans for our next visit.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank MitchLewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed in Heren B & B (aassociated with Maes B & B) for 2 nights in May and one night in June. We had a room towards the back overlooking the garden in May. The bedroom was a good size with tv, hairdrier and plenty of space to unpack or just leave the suitcases out. The bathroom was up a set of stairs but the area is set up like a separate apartment for privacy. Robes are available upon request as well. For our return visit we stayed in a room overlooking the street. It was a room with an ensuite bath but a little noisier. We slept well regardless. The hosts are wonderful. Great and quick email communication for reservations. They are also very accomodating. We were allowed to leave our bags when we arrived early until check in. Maps, restaurant suggestions, reservations, run of the kitchen at all times, and late breakfast available. The fresh croissants are awesome. Central station is an easy walk as is the Jordaan (nice restaurants), Anne Frank House, and the red light district. We would definately stay here again. Just a note if you have trouble with narrow stairs (which we found quaint and part of the Amsterdam experience) this is not the place for you.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank keyscops
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 8, 2005

We stayed here for only two nights - that went by way too quickly - and we were very happy with the accommodations. Vlad was very helpful with getting us acquainted with the city and recommended some great restuarants and bars. Great location and we walked everywhere (easier than trying to figure out the tram system!) Our room was in the building a few doors down and although we faced the street, noise was not a huge problem. Sure there were people out late, but we are from Chicago and it was not much of a difference than any night there... Breakfast was excellent and featured fresh breads, meats and hand squeezed OJ. Great place and we highly recommend it!

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank V-T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2005

We just stayed at Maes from May 27-29th. Vlad and Ken were great hosts and made sure that we were happy with our stay. The room was on the third floor and it felt very comfortable. You do have to climb very steep stairs to access this place so make sure you are in decent shape. The bathroom is small but it has all of the necessities. It was kept very clean and they did provide a hair dryer. The breakfast is very nice, similar to a continental breakfast in the US. Lots of different kinds of breads, ham and cheese, coffee, tea, and juice. This is included in the cost of the room. This added to the great value of the room. This place does not have AC so take this into consideration when booking a visit. They do have a fan though which helps. The only con that I can think of is the noise at night. The Jordaan area is a residential area, but there are many restaurants so it can be noisy at night. I was so tired from our flight so it didn't bother me, but if you are a light sleeper it might keep you up at night. Overall, I thought that the place was a great place to stay and provides a nice local experience as opposed to a more generic hotel.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 6, 2005

Wow! I just came back to this site because I was curious about the reviews. We stayed at Maes back in October of last year, and there were less than half of the reviews now posted. Think about staying here, this is only a small forum of their actual guests (all of whom I am positive that have wandered away happy). We were fortunate to stay in the attic apartment, and I cannot say how great the little place was. We had a small kitchenette, bathroom seperate from the w/c and a teeny bedroom with the most comfortable of beds...and an orchid in our kitchen!

Where do I begin? The benifit of staying here was that Ken and Vlad are real people. The "cold" breakfast that people are talking about is an authentic, and bountiful meal in European style, and served till 11am...so if you are an early riser get breakfast down the street, explore a little, and come back for a snack...nutella on home made bread, for example, or a bananna supplemented with tiny ginger bread cookies! All this pairs wonderfully with the tea you probably just bought from the market down the street.

Your hosts have made it plain thet the kitchen is open as well, so you can make your own early breakfast and whatnot. I found the place easy to find from the train station, and I'm suprised about how flexible the owners were upon our late arrival. Nothing more needs to be said about the excellent Thai place next door...I nearly cried.

What indeed am I saying? This place really sucks because I don't want reservations to hold me back from booking a spot the next time we return!

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
5 Thank cusper
England
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I agree with many of the other posters, a great place to stay but with pros and cons. The pros first. Breakfasts are great, all cold but fantastic cakes and breads with ham and cheese. A great location away from the hustle and bustle of the bars and cafes but with a good Thai restaurant next door and bars and other restaurants within 3 minutes walk a good spot to be in. Vlad was really helpful and friendly with a good knowledge of the city and nothing was too much trouble. The cons, well not many but meaningful. We were put into a room in the Heren B & B, 2 doors down in the same street as Maes. Our room was fairly small and the bathroom was quite compact as well. Not too much of a problem as it was the cheapest they have and was fine for thentwo of us. The big disadvantage was the noise. Although on a relatively quiet backstreet there is a lot of passing traffic and people and on Friday and Saturday nights there was a lot of shouting from drunks walking down the street. We were woken up many times, the worst at 4.30 in the morning. Didn't get a full nights sleep all week. Next we go, and we will go again, we will rebook but insist on a room at the back. If none is available i will go elsewhere. Although away from the main noise and bustle thankfully, Amsterdam has a thriving stag party culture now, there is a mini red light area directly between you and the tram station. Not unnerving at all at any time but there nonetheless. Experienced travellers may find an easy way round it, we just walked down the couple of streets that were affected. Also, the stairs being consistent with many properties in Amsterdam are like Everest. If you have mobility difficulties ask for a ground floor room. I would and hopefully will go there again, it is spotlessly clean, in a good location and with great hosts but next time i will ask for a room at the back.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank shep8471
Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed in the ground floor apartment and it was absolutely adorable. If you want to expierence the true dutch lifestyle, this is the place you should stay. It has a self catering kitchen which was great, we could go to the local store buy some groceries and make our own dinners (which also saved us money.) It is just like home, you clean up after yourself. You have your own little outside patio area with table and chairs. The living area is very cozy and comfy. The bed was super comfortable. Our hosts Ken and Vlad were very helpful with where to go, what to do and when they didnt see us for a day or two, they made sure to check in on us to see how we were. They are very gracious and caring hosts. Vlad we love you babe...Stacey and Tim.

• Stayed April 2005