Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
  • Restaurant
Trianon Hotel(Amsterdam)
Hotel Sander(Amsterdam)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfriendly receptionistvan gogh museumyour luggageno elevatorthe red light districtproximity
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Omg I have to say that Cosmos has a great atmosphere about it...
Myself and my friend booked the double room and it was grand Ok so pretty basic but what the heck its all part of the experience..

All the staff were great and the place was kept lovely and clean.. Now the breakfast was a bit of a let down but how and ever a bit of toast with a selection of spreads and hot coffee, went down a treat the few mornings we where actually awake for it...

Ha ha the stairs oh the stairs, i nearly died when i opened the main door and looked up them with my heavy suitcase and what not... but they made me laugh everytime i tried to climb them..

only managed to catch Issy's name, ah he was so sweet had a good night chatting the hours away with himself...

One complaint is the shower.. its more of a wet room thus you have to wear as little clothing as possible on the way to the shower because they get soaked and then run across the main reception in a towel while the guys are at the desk... but again it made me laugh..

well i suppose everything in the Dam makes you laugh after a visit to teh coffeeshop..

2  Thank flynnc8
Reviewed October 30, 2008

booked through 'easy to book.com 3 day stay.
Read on if you want a full description of the hotel - WARNING - it is a long review.
We arrived quite late and the receptionist, who was very friendly, said 'you have room 206, tomorrow you will be moving to room 310'.
I asked why but he didn't have an explanation. When we saw the room we were very disappointed as the 'double bed' (two singles pushed together) was squashed against the outside wall, under an enormous drafty window and there was little space in the rest of the room. The wardrobe was a coat rack attached to the wall and a couple of coat hangers. This was really a single room.
We found the bedding and the towels to be clean and the bathroom was clean with a separate shower which worked well.
Having finally settled in the room we thought we'd go out and have a meal but be warned there is nothing open in the area after 10 p.mt. We now know that the number 5 tram goes right past the hotel and we could have been in the centre within 15 mins. however we weren't given this advice form the receptionist.
It is a safe and quiet area very close to the museumsplein and has lots of student bike traffic to a nearby college.
We were asked what we would like for breakfast, which could include brown or white bread, egg, ham 'chicken ham'?, and jam plus juice or coffee ( I did ask for both and the guy agreed but just brought one coffee and one juice between us). Toast wasn't offered just slices of bread.
We packed in the morning for the move to room 310 but when we came back in the evening the new receptionist said 'Maybe tomorrow' . I asked why we were expected to move and he admitted that our room was 'a bit small". Needless to say we were not moved on what would be our last night and after reading the French peoples' references all I can think is that it was a way of preventing us from considering moving hotels. This was not an option as 'easy to book' had already got our credit card details and could charge us anyway, which is what happened to the French couple.
We didn't bother with a breakfast on the second day but having noticed a toaster asked if our bread could be toasted on our final day. He said 'Of course' but when it came it had been put in a toaster but it was still white'. Maybe it's a cultural thing but in most places in the world toast is done until it turns brown.
Finally on payment the receptionist had great difficulty in getting our credit card to work until my wife who works with these things on a daily basis guided him through the process of entering it manually - I know the website says they prefer cash but it's our choice and I can't help thinking he didn't press the right keys to make it work.
In the U.K. we can get a proper double room with a full English breakfast for £50 a night and this was not good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We were greeted with a warm welcome by issi.
Room was clean and bedding was clean.
First place we stayed at on our Europe trip.
Nice location, near to Amsterdam centraal train station and red light district
This will be a place I will recommend to others to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank crown25
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Really friendly hostel. Best welcome I've had from a hostel
The guys working there especially (Yazine) was great and made us feel really welcome. yazine was knowledgable and informative. I'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank milanno2008
Reviewed May 12, 2008

One of the best hostel I have ever visited. The best things about the hostel are location and staff (especially Cossie). But also rooms and beds are clean. The only thing that you should be aware is the stairs. Cosmos Hostel will be my first choice when I will return to Amsterdam. Thanks for everything.

Stayed: May 2008