“Awesome Hostel, Great Value, Helpful Staff”

Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
Ranked #198 of 229 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Awesome Hostel, Great Value, Helpful Staff”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just stayed here for 3 nights in a 4 bed private room. Couldn't ask for more other hostels in the area charge about 15 euros more a night than the rate we paid its right in the center of town cutting money on trams and stuff to its also a stones throw from the center of the red light district and dam square. The rooms are slightly tight but for 15 euros a night you really can't complain the stairs are steep but manageable and the staff couldn't be more helpful they told us all the great spots near by and answered any questions we had. You can rent a locker for 1 euro a day and they sell snacks and stuff at the front desk there is also a computer and printer that you can hire for 1 euro for half an hour. Also Simba the hostel cat is friendly and just chills in the common area. SIMBA RULES!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hostel is not clean! We have been there 5 days and our room was not cleand once.
In the morning, when a lot of peolpe want to go to the shower, it seemed that there is not enough water.. When I was in the shower the water stopped totally for a while. in the winter it is very cold in the showers because the windows/doors are very old. Also there is no electrical outlet in the bathroom.
You have breakfast. That is cool, because it is for free, but it is just toast, butter, peanut butter and jam. Its not much, but its ok.
There is no kitchen. So you can't cook!!! I already have been to a lot of hostels.. but this is the first one with no kitchen!
I wouldn't go there againe!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

N/LAND
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently stopped at the Cosmos. The place fitted my purpose very well for my recent visit, however this is not a place I would stop again. I need more comfort and I will pay extra next time. This place is great if you want a clean bed.
I stopped in a 9 bed room, there was not space to hang clothes, or to store luggage securely. Leaving my bag on my bed for 18-20 hours, relying on the good faith that the people stopping in the same room are decent people. That being said, no visitor's in the building at all, 24 hour reception so your luggage should be safe.
The bed was good, slept well. The shower and toilet was not a pleasant experience, take flip flops into the shower! The splash back from the toilet hit my legs so much I wanted to sit down to pee, then I realised I would be sitting in other people's splash back....not nice. (change the toilet) Girls be warned
In all, great place if you want a bed to sleep and a shower to shave. Great value for money.
The reception staff were very polite and easy going.

Room Tip: Do plenty of research, there's some really functional hostel's that cost a little more, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Firstly, 10/10 for location. It is close to all the amenities you could want. The coffee shop across the way is quite unfriendly though, avoid! :p

We stayed in a private room which was spacious enough with space to hang your stuff. There was also a sink in the room, which was handy enough so you did not have to go to the bathroom every morning to scrub up. The bathroom and shower room on the first floor was literally in the reception which is awful because you have to skimp across in your towel or else you will have people knocking telling you to hurry up if you take to long getting dressed. The TV in the room didn't work at all.

Yeah, the stairs is steep, but it isn't going to single handedly ruin your holiday...lots of stairs in Amsterdam are like that....embrace it.

I liked the cat in reception....he is quiet and it isn't like he pesters for attention..he minds his own business. I was able to print off my return flight tickets in reception and the people were very friendly like that. We got a map on arrival and we could ask them any questions we wanted and they answered to the best of their abilities, or at least pointed us in the right direction. It was a bit weird that there were always 3 or four men hanging around the reception though. The receptionists were obviously all friends or something, but they were always just sitting across the couches or standing there and then as anyone walked past you could see them judging who's eyes were red and whose were not. Not a major issue, but a bit unprofessional and slightly intimidating.

All in all, grand place to stay and value for money if it is Amsterdam itself you and to see and not stay stuck inside, but it is fairly dated looking and I can only speak from the point of view of a private room... I never saw the dorms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brophmeister21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Excellent staff, daily cleaning of rooms and multiple cleaning of toilets per day. It was minutes’ walk away from the famous Concertgebouw, Rijksmuseum, and the newly refurbished city museum. Vondelpark is just a few more minutes away. The van Gogh museum is also in the area but is closed until April 2013. All in all, very convenient location, especially if arriving or leaving by coach or train, as there are direct tram connections for both. Rooms were quiet and I had respectful and friendly roommates. I was especially thankful for the functioning heaters due to the subzero temperature outside. Went to Liedsseplein for partying one night and it was only 10 minutes’ walk away. Also loved the big flat screen TV and free internet. Wallpaper pealing in a few places but no major impact for me.

Room Tip: If you are staying mid-week, book the 12-bed dorm as they are bigger and on a few beds will be taken...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 7Busybee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time staying in a hostel and after the experience I swore it would be my last.
The location is super far from the town centre so I did a lot of walking. I don't mind this because at the end of four days I knew Amsterdam like the back of my hand.
The room I was in the first two nights was terrible. It had five bunk beds haphazardly crammed into a small space and I literally had to step on the bed below to get to my top bunk. I spent the whole night worrying about toppling off but I'm thankful I wasn't on the bottom because I'm sure the person below me heard irritating creaking every time I shifted in this uncomfortable bed.
The shared bathroom was awful! The sink and toilet were chipped. The shower was rubbish with low pressure. The people who were staying in the room were filthy and the floor if the bathroom was soaking wet most of the time.
People came and went at all times of the night and often would turn the lights on at 3am. Lots of late night whispering, which is more annoying than talking at a regular volume.
On my last night I was moved to a smaller room which was much cleaner and shared with more respectful and clean guests.
The place was under construction when I was there and from the pace and state of the place, this may be a permanent situation.
I didn't bother eating in the common area. I went there once and there was hardly space to turn.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Simone L
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I urge you not to stay here. I can only see one honest review so far I think the rest of you have indulged a little too much whilst in Amsterdam. Where do I start... This place is tiny ! Not cosy... Just down right small. There are no lifts and the stairs are crazy steep, narrow and ancient if you have a large suitcase u have no chance. They stuff 5 or 6 bunk beds into a room which any other hostel wud put 2 or 3 at the most. There is no room for your stuff or you. There are no lockers. There is one shower and one toilet per floor. This place is so small and cramped you just feel awkward the whole time, they try to make it out to be cosy and have this gimmick about some straggler cat simba at the reception. Oh yeah, if you have cat allergies you definitely cannot stay here. I literally did not know places likes this still existed in a developed country, as I type this I'm in a hostel in Slovakia which is at least a million times better. Put it this way... as soon as I got to the top of the stairs and saw the place I wanted to turn round and leave but there wasn't enough room. Heed these words or wish you did.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank 93Pro
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your stay? We just want you relax;) We get it, this is not the place for you. But even the cat is attacked? Wow! Thank you also for the only review that is REAL.

Kind regards,