See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 20, 2017 via mobile

This is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. When we first walked in it looked nice and we were excited to stay but we walked into a room that was tiny and had twin beds pushed together when we booked and paid for a double bed and double room. The pillows and beds were hard and very uncomfortable. The room was unclean and there was a rat trap underneath the radiator, not only is that unhygienic and unsettling it is also a hazard. On top of this the radiator leaked and we only had 2 hand towels even though I had previously contacted the hotel and was told they provided wash towels. We were left with only one hand towel when the cleaners took our 2nd one during cleaning. In the bathroom the dispenser was broken and there was no warning that the hot water was indeed boiling hot as soon as its turned on. In the bathroom the ceiling panels were falling apart and again it was not of high cleaning standards. There was no safe for valuables and one of the lamps were broken. A positive was that there was a smoking lounge but even that closed during the late evening. The floorboards were chipped and unsteady and here was no remote or manual for the TV. The only upsides were polite staff and the ideal location.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2017

I chose this hotel for its location and its price and was not disappointed with either. The hotel is on a canal in a great neighborhood with restaurants, shopping, bars and cafes right there. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Central train station so it is very cheap and easy to get there from the airport. The staff was professional and helpful if needed. The hotel is OLD and desperately needs updating but the staff has worked to keep it clean and functioning. There is no elevator, at least I never saw one and the stairs seem to get progressively narrower the higher you go. My room was a single and it was very small by American standards but about what to expect from most European hotels like this one. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, the wifi worked fine. I was rarely in the room except to sleep and change. One thing I didn't care for was the shower. it was one of those types that did not have a separate tub or enclosure so the whole bathroom floor was wet after the shower and it did not drain all that well. Overall, if you are looking for a relatively cheap hotel in a good, central location AND you are not seeking luxury then this hotel is a good spot.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2017

The Hotel was very central but very disappointing.
No plug in the sink, told that that was health and safety policy. floor covering broken, bedside lamps broken, plugs hanging from the walls,
No toiletries apart from hand wash attatched to the wall, No hairdryer or Tv .
2 hand towels given to you, very hard. room did not feel clean, very claustraphopic.
We asked to be moved but told hotel was full, only seen one guest.
Bed looked clean but left with bites from bugs in the bed. Will not be visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susan S
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

Was really expecting something awful from the reviews here, but honestly this was pretty standard and actually really good value for the price/location.

There is a pug that lives there - V.cute. everything was clean - yes there are lots of stairs but that's just part of Amsterdam.

We are the type of people who don't spend time in the room, and just want somewhere okay to sleep at night.

It's good if you wanna be close to the centre, not pay too much! Clean and comfortable.

There is a smoking room in the basement too.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2016

I booked this visit, my seventh in wonderful Amsterdam, as a precursor to a major trip to the Arctic in December, so I had to forego my usual 4*+ hotel.

The Rembrandplein is a small independent hotel, with quirkiness and personality at its forefront. Here is the good...

- It's in a fantastic location in the north part of the Centrum disctrict of the city; VERY safe and quiet.

- The hotel doesn't pretend to be anything that it isn't, and the staff are wonderful: warm, kind, professional and helpful.

- The rooms are VERY VERY small and basic, but clean and I found the bed to be very comfortable. I was in the roof, and with the lift out of action it was a bit of a walk but that's fine.

- Relaxing, homely and friendly atmosphere, especially from Rembrandt, the hotel Pug!

- Cheap, especially as part of an off-season city break.

Here's the bad:

- When I say basic, I mean basic. The room I was in was comfortable but not actually that nice because it was TINY and the decor is appalling and dark.

- Broken lift.

- Toilet flush broke but I was leaving that morning, and the broken toilet isn't exactly the hotel's fault as these things happen.

- For some reason one of my towels was taken when they were cleaning the room, leaving me with one tiny towel. I used the gym shower after my workout each morning so again it didn't matter, but still! The shower itself was excellent and the bathroom very clean.

- No breakfast. I don't eat breakfast, but you might, so be aware.

- The WIFI is poor in the upper floors, and i wasn't offered a safe for my valuables - I'm unsure if they have that facility, but I'm sure they do.

In all, I won't be staying here again as i) I like to try new places each time and ii) I usually go 4*+.

If you are fully aware of what you're going to get, and for what it is, I *would* recommend the Rembrandplein. In a corporate world it is an unpretentious, individual hotel in a superb location with brilliant, warm and welcoming staff, who really work hard to keep the hotel going.

I wish them all the best!

Room Tip: Depends if the lift is working! I didn't see the other rooms but would imagine they're pretty small.
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo