“Get what you pay for.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #291 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

First off let me say that this hotel doesnt pretend to be anything its not.

When booking our trip we read all reviews (which only fools dont) so knew exactly what to expect. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a pleasent young italian man who went out of our way to make sure we felt settled in. He informed us of some amazing resturants and tourist attractions to visit whilst we were in amsterdam.

Our room unfortunatly was on the 5th floor however this didnt dampen our experience. A little exercise never hurt anyone!!

The room was spacious and clean. Yes a little old fashioned but nothing too garish. The bathroom was a little dissapointing, however it was still clean and we recieved fresh towels everyday. The bed was comfy and all bedding and pillows clean. The maid came once a day, we usually missed her as we were out all day, but we did see her cleaning rooms when we left in a morning.

The wifi in the hotel was excellent and there was a computer and printer downstairs which we could print off our boarding passes. There was a small bar area with clean water avaliable free of charge.

The only thing we felt let the hotel down was the lack of air conditioing in the rooms. We only had a small window so the room was quite hot. However definatly not anything to ruin your experience here.

If your looking for a cheap and cheerful hotel in the centre of Amsterdam then look no further. Do not be put off by these negative reviews as most things they complain about wouldnt effect your holiday.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Let me first say im not a picky person and have never wrote a bad review about any hotel before.
I booked this hotel without reading reviews properly until after booking ( my own fault i know ).
Further to reading these i was very apprehensive before arriving due to some bad reviews.
Emailed a few month ahead asking for low floor canal view - prompt reply told me no canal viewes left but would try and accomadte me with low floor.

only plus i can give is -Good location - On arriving hotel clean and very appealing from outside and in hotel recption.
Given keys by very pleasant gentleman and was issued a room on the 4th floor up 50 stairs. No low floor rooms left. Room was very tatty , dingy with vile mirrors above bed and on walls
(would be more suited to a brothel ) old dusty curtains , dirty bathroom with foisty tiles and damp smell , every time sat on toilet it came off wall little by little till you were nearly sitting on sink. Iv stayed in better camp sites - this should be inspected by the relevant authoritys who inspect hotels in amsterdam. I did complain but was told the hotel was fully booked.

Tried to stay out as long as possible and only came back to get changed , although this was a disatsre one day whilst climbing the 50 stairs our key wouldnt work so climed back down the 50 stairs to reception who could only apoligise and climed back up again another 50 stairs to get the door open thus gasping for breath .

i read over and over again this is hotel and in keeping with its age - hotels iv stayed in of this age are in no way in the state this hotel is -worst hotel iv ever stayed in book somewhere else .

Room Tip: saty somwhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MichelleR704

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

newport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just got back after a great weekend in amsterdam staying at the rembrantplein hotel if your looking for 5 stars this is not for you this hotel is a listed building and and situated in a perfect location. The staff very helpful .my room was fine and shower always had hot water mybe towels could be a little bigger. Also nice little bar and smoking room down stair very cool. I would stay at this hotel anytime its the real amsterdam. Thanks for having me

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
4 Thank risdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a disgrace...it may be located in a good spot but getting up to fith floor being an older woman and man with all our luggage was hard. The room was small and shabby, curtains torn and dusty..marks and opening in wall next to bed. The linen had holes in and stains, shower was not draing properly and spilled into room....towels a disgrace, had to use a thin worn out handtowel to dry myself....i took photographs of all the wrongs and will still publish them as i told reception they had to get another room for me or i look for another hotel and want my money back. Hiding behind the excuse of an historical building is not good as you can still have cleanliness and nice towels and facilities in good working order....i would not recommend this place to anyone as it is not well kept and a disgrace to tourism industry.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank leilaniee
Chiangmai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Rembrandtplein Hotel is well located, about 15 min walk from the Central Station in an area next to the flea market. Anyone who has not stayed in Amsterdam old economical hotels will be surprised at the steep climb on the stairs; if you have a large luggage, it's a problem to haul it up 4 or 5 floors. The room is a dump, particularly the toilet. There is no hot water on the tap (except the shower). The toilet is not stable: when you sit on it, you will get a jerk with water coming up from the ground. The toilet/shower are all together very tiny. The room is bare with no facilities; towels are thin and tiny. Some days, the bed is made, some days, it isnt. Male staff in the hotel are friendly and helpful, but the female receptionist is not pleasant at all and she has a mutt dog.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Hilltriber
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The room is. Very small, was nlt cleaned, the baths are old and dark. There isnt any big tower available only the small one to take a shower.also the room was not cleaned and the bad organized every day. The hotel didnt have lifts, so was dificult to lift all bags when we arrived.. However the hotel is located in a good place, the staff was very very friendly when we arrived..

2 Thank DeboraRalha
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Checked into this hotel which from the outside I was lulled into a sense of false security.
Got to the check in desk and the Italian young man behind the counter was very polite and friendly and spoke good English. I was then asked to pay a local tax in cash!!!
Climbed the stairs to my room where he opened the door and let me in.
I literally dumped my bags and left the room as I had to rush out to see friends. Upon returning it occurred to me how dark the room was, the lighting was so subdued I had an insight to what someone with cataracts must experience plus a light was broken.
The furniture was out of the 60's and cobbled together the Television was not working and apparently the entire tv system in the hotel had not worked for a month either. I really wanted a shower and then discovered that there was no hot water when I belted downstairs I was told that there was a computer error, no apology was offered by the manager.
I actually slept in my clothes that night as I was not sure the sheets had been laundered. when I looked in the closets I thought if I place my clothes in there they will need cleaning afterwards.
Extra pillows were tossed into another cupboard where a lopsided clothes rail had been placed you guess if as good as mine if they had been cleaned.They need to call this place Hotel Circus. I would say to anyone wishing to stay at this 'hotel' DON'T
The location is perfect but that is the only thing going for it.This hotel definitely falls into my bottom three of hotels I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. Spend a little bit more and book a room elsewhere

Room Tip: Choose another hotel this one really sucks
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
6 Thank famousactor
Rembrandtpleinhotel, Manager at Rembrandtplein Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
we regret you didn't enjoy your stay with us , we did provide exactly what we advertise , an old monumental canal house from the 17 century in a listed building , kept in the original ,Old dutch brown style,small rooms and steep stairs .But this is the Amsterdam style and that's what makes us an unique hotel and not one you can find all over the world .Staying with us is experiencing how local live. we understand we are not your standard as your profile clearly say on TripAdvisor , I prefer 4/5 star hotels . we are a budget 1 star hotel where price and quality are in balance and we think its only fair to rate us in the category that we are and not compare with other hotels with 4/5 stars. we have one of the best location , best price/ quality and the staff is very kind and helpful and does everything within their power to make your stay as comfortable as possible . we hope you did enjoy your stay in Amsterdam. manager