“Ok hotel for a night or two”

Rembrandtplein Hotel
Ranked #309 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Ok hotel for a night or two”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here one night.
We stayed in number 19, which is one of the two highest rooms (5th floor) which was a tad demotivational when you came to the fourth floor, and the plaque read "17-18-20-21) and then next to another set of stairs it said (19 & 22) with a arrow pointing up.

At the top there was a open door right onto the roof, which did not look very safe, and there were no guard rails, and many meters straight down.. Though i'm not sure if that door was supposed to be open.

The room was not particularly nice, decor is one thing i can overlook, but the wall next to the bed had been badly replaced by som MDF plates, and had a big hole with some unknown valve inside, located in pillow height.

But the staff was very friendly and helpfull, and there was a smoking area downstairs where you can wait if you arrive early or just want to hang..
Even though there were good smoke removal units there, the heat was very high, but this might just be attributed to it being really hot in general that day.
There is a computer youbcan use, and music is playing.
There is also a tv.

I could reccomend this hotel as a bed for a night or two, but not sure i would want to stay there any longer (atleast not on the 5th floor, those stairs will wear you out unless you're into mountaneering)

Very good location.. A quiet street bit out of the thickest city centre, but no more than 2-3 minutes to walk to get back.. Also there are convenience and drugstores (like boots) just a 3-4 minute walk the other direction.
Canal bus stops at the back of the hotel, so i would reccomend you get a ticket and take the canal bus from the central station to the hotel with your bagage.. Its a 45-60 min trip with guiding included, it goes past anne franks house.

Room Tip: 19 & 22 are on the 5th floor.. The stairs are pretty steep. Nice Smoking room in the basement
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
montreal
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had a prepaid forfait fligh and hotel for 7 nights. I only stayed one night and found another hotel, preferring losing money than staying there. I slept with my clothes. The room was on the 4th floor and the stairs were scaring. The "room" was more than small with a single bed and looked worse than many old hotels in third world countries. I think an hostel is better. The room had two windows. One could not be attained because of the disposition of the room and the other one looked on a wall! The Tv and the telephone did not work. The "bathroom" was more than small and the shower had no basis, so the water was going everywhere on the approximatevely 4 feet square of the surface. The man at the reception was trying to be kind, but did not look very awaken. I never had such an experience, except in old old middle east countries, but in those countries I did not pay that amount. So: horrible horrible horrible, and that is a pity since the location is OK. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank nefertiti2
Rembrandtpleinhotel, Manager at Rembrandtplein Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We apriciate your feedback and regret you didnt had a pleasant stay with us , we have quality and prices in balance and think we should be rated within the budget , category that we are ,a budget hotel ,and not to be compared with other hotels,countrys where you might have stayed in or usualy stay at.Feedback is to help future guests to make a decision what to book and what to expect and not to express personal disapointment.Amsterdam have all categories of hotels and if luxury , extra services ,special requests etc are expected you will be disapointed in us,however if possible we will honour all requests.if possible we give rooms at lowest floor, upgrade rooms for free etc. We never claimed to be of an higher standard, we understand your disapointment but we delivered the room with the exact square meters mentioned,service as mentioned in our description and fotos from the room that you booked for. Sincerely manager .

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Was in amsterdam for one night, the hotel was easy enough to find, it was tucked away but only mins walk away from dam square, red light district and not too far from the train station.
My first impressions was good the guy at the desk was helpful and friendly gave us plenty of information. we were on the top floor and the stairs can be steep and narrow, if you have heavy luggage and not strong be aware of that. the room was very basic the tv although had channels was not clear the room was strange with mirrors everywhere, like the bedroom the bathroom was very small. the breafast in the morning was simple but he did say that on check in. breads meats some juices enough to get us going.
we were only in amsterdam for one night, so if your looking for budget hotel quiet but close to the main attractions, then you cant go wrong here.

Room Tip: the lower the floor the better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have stayed here before, and because of the fantastic treatment have come back again.

As soon as me and my friend arrived we were welcomed with open arms by the friendliest person in the world called Jordy who made the first part of our trip really great. We had time to kill before the room was ready and so sat at the bar having a few drinks and laughing our heads off. As SOON as the rooms were ready we were allowed in, and one reason I came back here is that the rooms are so warm and cosy with extremely comfy beds, much more comfy than one would expect.

After a great sleep we went downstairs and to our surprise they had a brand new smoking basement which not too many hotels boast. In this room there is a tv and a computer with fast internet that you can play your tunes on whilst you have a smoke, and speakers to increase your level of comfort. It was crucial too as I needed to contact my parents and could e mail them and check them in the morning!

The Rembrandtplein is nicely located and very near everything, I highly recommend a stay here as it is amazingly friendly, and not to mention reasonable with a great breakfast included!

I would also like to point out that I was at the bar having a great time when two people (with the screen name 'Annie T' who have left an essay below) came in and started being, in my opinion, really unreasonable and rude to the staff, and I think what they requested was totally unreasonable, so with what I have said above I feel very strongly to stick my nose in and say to you to ignore them.

Jordy, if you're reading this then I will see you soon buddy! There's nowhere else in Amsterdam I would ever stay but at your family's fine run Hotel! Say hello to the other staff from me too!

Peace!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guy B
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've been to 20 countries and hundreds of hotels. I had a room for two the first night and was transferred to a single room which of course has the smallest toilet but it was clean. Centrally located 5-10 mins to Dam Square,Red Light, shopping et al. Jordy, one of the staff, made the vacation great by giving me a map and pointed me to all the places I wanted to see and more. A staff can help you with the luggage if you are in the higher floors. Free wifi worked well. The free breakfast starts the day well served by a family-like staff.
It's not the Hilton but if you are not picky, this is a great place to rest at the end of a busy day!

Room Tip: The lower floors are better. Ask for the ones facing the canal but if you are simply sleeping there...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Armand L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had my worst experience in this hotel. Anyone would be better off staying in hostel than this hotel. Bathroom is really odd - its like put you chin on basin when using WC. That made me sick as the smell of drain from so close. Bathroom was stinky. Room was supplied with tv not clear, 2 pillows 1 duvet and 2 small towels and that's it. When we spoke to the guy i think Jordy at reception and asked for any other room with different bathroom construction he wasn't very happy and suggested us that this is a budget hotel and showed us price what he was actually getting from Expedia in this booking. I have nothing to do with it i paid around £60 a night. any way nothing went wrong it was ok but I felt Jordy was bit rude. Next morning we went fro breakfast and while i was toating my bread he said "i think your breakfast is not included 1st humiliation in front of all other guests". I booked it inclusive BF. he went to check and came back to say its not then i showed him in my email then he said "oh if you say so". We felt humiliated and then my husband said that you should first checked it with your agent before coming to us.

then comes the 2nd humiliation. He said we are a disturbing guest and we should checkout from his hotel. i don't think we demanded any thing extra or luxury. only think that we asked for was to get the bathroom cleaned next morning as it was stinking.

it was like someone slapping on my face. I decided to abort my trip if i don't find another hotel but luckily i have booked it with Expedia and they help me to move.

I have never seen anyone in hotel industry with that much of arrogance. When we asked if we can speak to his manager with blunt face he replied " no you cannot".

Please think twice if you book this hotel. I would to get refund if you already have. In my 2 day trip to Amsterdam we spent one day sorting out the hotel change.

The photos of bathroom they have on their website is from their expensive apartments hardly of actual rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Annie T
Rembrandtpleinhotel, Manager at Rembrandtplein Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We apriciate your feedback and regret you didnt had a pleasant stay with us , we have quality and prices in balance and think we should be rated within the budget , category that we are ,simple budget hotel ,and not to be compared with other hotels with higher clasification that you might have stayed in or usualy stay in.Feedback is to help future guests to make a decision what to book and what to expect and not to express personal disapointment.Amsterdam have all categories of hotels and if luxury , extra services ,special requests etc are expected you will be disapointed in us, but we never claimed to be of an higher standard, we understand your disapointment but we delivered exactly the room ,service as mentioned in our description and fotos , Jordy is very helpfull and frendly with all our guest and handeled correct but if you take words out of their contest its easy to create a different picture , he helped you with the lugage which is not his duty , He showed you the discount that you get when booking with expedia ,explained what to do where to go and much more , only after you requested so many extras that one can find only in 4/5 star hotels he said he will help you to relocate because you booked wrong .We even offered our apartments but you didnt want to pay the difference. Extra towels , sheets pillows are available at any time . We hope you did enjoyed beautifull Amsterdam despite your experience with. Sincerely, Manager .