“Rats have eaten our breakfast. 2 space cakes !”
Review of Hotel Manofa

Hotel Manofa
Ranked #357 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We had 2 space cakes ready for breakfast from the nearby coffeshop and this was lunch for rats unfortunately !! I attach a foto of the rats traps. You will find them under your beds...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Giannis G

Reviewed October 28, 2011

The only way I can describe our experience was an utter nightmare. I would never wish anyone to stay here. My family of 5 stayed on the 4th floor in the "5 bed" room which was nothing but bunk beds (and no elevator. we had to drag our luggage 3 flights of windy, narrow stairs). All the rooms smelled like MJ- it was disgusting. The bathrooms were smelly and small. One of the doors to a bathroom didn't lock. None of us could shower. To top it all off, we had mice running around our room at night! They even got into our luggage. They had a sign on the door saying no outside food- but didn't tell us about the mice! It was horrible. We had to keep the lights on all night and none of us slept. Please please don't book here. The location isn't worth getting the worst night of your life. This is not a sanitary hotel- its a very dirty, mice infested hostel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank calgarygirl1980
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Only stayed in this hotel for one night at the end of our trip

Negatives: The room was very dirty, marks on the walls, sheets unclean, smelt. The smell of people smoking in the alleyway stunk out our room, The shop downstairs had loud pumping music all day, only turned off around 9pm, back on again at 9am. The lock on the toilet in the hallway didn't work so had to have my partner stand guard each time I wanted to go. The toilet was dirty and stunk of pot. The shower door had a gap about 20cm long at the bottom so anyone could nosey in at you having a shower (I didn't have a shower). The lock on the room door was very fustrating, had to yank very hard on the door to close it properly so it locked, then put my shoulder into it to open it again.

Positives: The location was fantasic, especially as it was hard finding public toilets in Amsterdam, we could just pop back to the hotel to use the loo. The breakfast in the morning was a buffet downstairs.

Over all, I would never stay in this hotel again. Would prefer to pay a little bit extra to go somewhere that's clean and has privacy and security.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

this is the worst hotel i have ever stopped in i was at my sons stag do if not i would have moved hotel like two others in our party did stop here at your own risk .

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 10, 2011

if i could rate negative figure i would give -100. the worst hotel i have ever stayed. i don't understand they could call themselves a hotel. it was not a place for human to stay. i could easily write out at least 10 disappointments that we concluded during our stays. receptionists were ok, but not very helpful. they put us in a room on the ground floor.

1. noise from the pub down stair, they said the pub will close at 10pm. ok...however at night time we could hear other guests walked up and down stairs. as our room was under the staircase.
2. we found holes on the wall and on the ceiling. (nothing match to the picture they put up on the websites)
3. rain was leaking from the ceiling, the floor was wet.
4. door knob came off when we were trying to close our room door.
5. no cupboard or any other hangers for clothes
6. no bins, no paper provided.
7. bed sheets, pillow cases, duvet covers and towels were like they never clean, dirty marks everywhere.
8. walls with cracks
9.housekeeping "tidy up" our room when we came back, beds were moved and my shoes kicked underneath our beds. (my shoes were put tidily under the couch before we left our room)
10. we asked the receptionist to change another room, he told us immediately "NO". he didn't even check their system. i am working in hotel industry, i know very well about it. he just didn't want to change our room. it is just the matter of allocation one room to the others and he told us the room was reserved for someone else. Do you think this kind of excuses guest will happy to accept it?? he finally changed another room which was on the top floor, it was little better than the one we had but it was still dirty. window didn't close, rain drain on one corner of the bed.

we were dissatisfied every time we walked into the room. we will not recommend anyone to stay with them. This was what we get and treated. i rather pay more to stay in a better hotel.

Room Tip: never look at the photos that they uploaded, they were just cheating on you. look your room before...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Well the one thing you will get out of staying at this hotel is toned legs...the stairs go on forever...
The room is basic and compact with very little in them except a rickety cupbaord and a small wardrobe..
The view overlooked a load of run downbuildings to the rear.
I'll be honest ,We paid next to nothing to stay in a prime position centrally in amsterdam So for what we paid it was fine.
The breakfast in the morning was dire.My brother refused to eat anything as as soon as he walked in he saw a mouse scuttle along the kitchen floor..My first mouthful of the cup of tea i poured had something in it ,and upon inspection I found it to be a dead flea that I pulled out of my mouth!
There are signs everywhere saying do not eat in the rooms.I guess this is to try and curb the mouse problem they have..
I'd stay here again purely for the location..But it isnt somewhere I would relish or look forward too..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WorcestershireNomad
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is not an hotel, it's a rat's nest (literally, not metaphorically speaking).
You can hear the rats walking inside the walls during night. I slept with a nest near my bed, precisely my head for almost 4 days and the last days i saw the mouse walking around the room.
I asked the reception to change my room because i had to take the airplane the next morning and a weird man told me to sleep. I told him i would call the police and he menaced me saying: "do you think am i afraid of you? go to call the police!" then he changed humor and start to speak about stupid nonsense stuff like mice are nice pets and other boshes laughing in my face. After 1 hour he put a mouse trap in the room and told me to sleep.
I had to take the airplane within few hours i couldn't do nothing else to do than try to sleep.

The rooms are disgusting, the pictures on their sites aren't true, dirty walls old and scratched wood panels everywhere with a lot of weird holes(guess what they are),dust and old sockets behind the beds, mattress, sheets and and blankets are so dirty with ugly spots like they find them outside in the landfill. Continental breakfast for them means ham and cheese slices, bread and boiled eggs every day. Next time i will go to a charity public dormitory, will be better for sure and i will not have to pay so much. It s impossible for me to give them even one star but i can't publish this review if i don't do so.
I watched other reviews and now I feel lucky to have not been bitten by fleas...

Room Tip: If you sleep outside this "hotel" it's better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends