“A decent hotel for the price”
Review of Hotel Kap

Hotel Kap
Ranked #299 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My friend and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Amsterdam, preferring to spend our money out and about than on a fancy hotel. For this, Hotel Kap rated pretty well. It's on a relatively quiet street that isn't a terribly distant walk from the centre, and was indeed inexpensive. I would note that other travellers should definitely be aware of the very steep stairs - we totally underestimated how difficult it would be to carry a heavy suitcase up them! The staff were also friendly and let us check out in the evening as we had to leave before the front desk opened.

The room, however, was definitely budget style. The sheets on my bed were ripped and stained, the shower had mold in it, and the hotel only provided a tiny sachet of soap and shampoo. There was just one plug in the entire room, which was already in use, so we had trouble charging our phones and Kindles. This is cheap, but be aware that what you're getting is also cheap.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mbookworm

Reviewed September 25, 2011

As readers of my other reviews of Amsterdam hotels will already know, I tend to keep my expectations low - and still have them dashed. Unless you're paying big bucks, you'll be faced with poorly-maintained, insecure, often bed-bug infested dives you reach by something closer to a fire ladder than a staircase.

What a pleasant change to find a clean, pleasant, quite well-maintained and friendly - but still inexpensive, for Amsterdam - hotel.

The Kap is easy to get to, just off a roundabout around which quite a number of the major tram lines run - including at least one serving RAI. It's in a quiet back street, and just opposite the Asterisk, where my wife and I spent a very mediocre weekend once.

I arrived late-ish evening, having already eaten, but the welcome was friendly, and there was none of the nonsense other hotels try, asking for large deposits for the TV remote control or a plastic card-key. In fact, the keys were the real, metal variety. Although my room had a private shower, the shower was just down the corridor - not an arrangement I've seen before.

The room was small - little more than twice the space occupied by the single bed - but clean and tidy, even if the sink had a crack. The bed linen was clean, fresh and looked reasonably new.

I did use that shower. The shower room was tiny, and didn't smell all that fresh, but in a room that small, with nowhere to fit an extractor fan, a degree of damp's probably unavoidable. There wasn't much space (or dry floor) for changing, so I'd recommend anyone else staying here goes to the shower room with as little clothing as decency allows. Once the shower was running, the dank smell went away quickly, and there was plenty of hot water.

Back to the room, and "lights out" time. The bed was comfy - so comfy, in fact, that I overslept. Entirely my fault, and it didn't matter - I had plenty of time in hand the following day, and the check-out time was a very civilised 11am or 12pm (I forget).

The breakfast buffet downstairs, included in the room price, runs from 8am to 12pm - even more civilised! No surprises- it's the usual Dutch fayre of breads (toasters provided), cold meats, cheeses, preserves and cereals. The orange juice was fresh-pressed and tasty, the coffee also fresh and not at all bitter. I didn't notice any hot foods, but I wasn't in the mood anyway, so might have missed them. The breakfast room is bright, airy.and pleasant, and there was no sense that the owners were in any hurry to get rid of their guests.

The departure was as friendly and civilised as the arrival.

Would I come back? You betcha. I'm not convinced it's an ideal hotel for a young family, for for a solo business traveller, or a young couple without lots of money to spend, it's about as good as you get on a budget in Amsterdam, and it'll be at the top of my list for next year.

Room Tip: It's a small family hotel, with not many rooms, so you may well not get a choice. The road outs...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KnaveBlade
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The good: quiet street, close to tram stop
The acceptable: narrow, steep stairs. We expected this. Kap seems to be proud of their dangerous stairs.
The bad: WiFi never worked (we stayed 4 nights) - a cardinal sin, as the availability of WiFi was one major reason I picked Kap (I have to be able to connect to work, in case of emergency). Our room was never made up by housekeeping before 4:30 PM. Hotel maintenance over the years has been patchwork and marginally-skilled DIY. I'm pretty tolerant, but this was too funky for my style. Bed sheets were an odd set of 2 horizontal sheets. This was uncomfortable in the night as they'd slide around and get tangled. Bed was very soft. Bathroom exhaust fan only worked one night, then died. In a very humid climate, this caused nasty steamy room. Bathroom sink is cracked. Toilet had no cover on it. Drains stank. Mildew stains in the shower and on bathroom wall. The table in the garden had the same drink rings on it during our entire stay. The PC in the dining room was infected with viruses (only used to check in for flight).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank imdreaming
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel Kap is on a one way street, quiet and not very busy. Tram and bus stops within 1 block and the Carousel restaurant in the park down from the hotel. Rooms were clean and fresh , the staff were also very friendly and helpful except for one and he knows who he is I am sure his aloof (Synonym) attitude has hurt their business some. I would recommend this hotel to anyone of my friends.

Room Tip: The building beside the Kap upstairs the front room, excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank mfreshour
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Well located. You can go walking almost everywhere. Very good breakfast. Excellent internet (paid but reasonable price and always working) and comfortable rooms.
The day we left, we needed to have breakfast very early in the morning, so they prepared a breakfast-box to take the previous night to our room and have breakfast early the following morning. Highly reccomended.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our family of four spent 7 nights at the Kap Hotel in July. It was a great base for visiting Amsterdam. The breakfasts consisting of fresh rolls, home made muffins, cold cuts, cheeses, cereal were ample and kept us well fueled for sight seeing. Our family room with bathroom was very comfortable. The very steep stairs ( not unusual for Amsterdam) were quite daunting at first but by the end of the week they didn't bother us at all. Carrying large suitcases up those stairs would definitely be a challenge.
The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from the Museumplein ( Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum) and Albert Culptstraat Market. It's about a 30 minute walk from Centraal Station ( thankfully away from the crowds and congestion) or a 15 minute tram ride. We had tram passes as part of our IAmsterdam Card package but only used them twice. The city is extremely walkable.
We were happy to find a laundromat just a block away from the hotel. The "Carousel" restaurant just around the corner makes awesome Pannekoeken and is also great place to stop for a beer in the afternoon.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. They even heated Lasagne for the kids ( who were too tired to go to dinner with us).
We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Kap and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2011

No-frills but conveniently located for museums and restaurants. Nice down-to-earth staff, one lady especially kind, Good breakfast. Phone at reception available for outgoing calls, even overseas, but not from room. Shared toilet is right outside your door, but makes for noisy nights due to inconsiderate guests slamming doors. If you need to stay for a week or more, spend the money on a room with own toilet. Shower was comfortable. Old rattly building (quaint) with a faint but tolerable odour in room. Stairs are steeper than I expected, even after reading the reviews, though for me, just a curiosity.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo