Tripadvisor
Amsterdam
1,465 results
All reviews smoking room bed dorm free breakfast free earplugs mixed dorm person room bar downstairs young people close to the train station amazing location central location amsterdam centraal hostel lockers piggies backpackers padlock
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I really enjoyed my stay, mostly due to the fact that the vibe was very chill and relaxed. Because of this vibe, I found it very easy to meet others as a solo traveller. The staff were very understanding with any issues arising. I would definitely reccomend going on the bar crawl where you meet many people staying in this hostel.

One note to travellers - make sure you bring earplugs with you, or ensure you buy them at the reception! This is particularly so if you're staying in one of the bigger rooms; people frequently come back in the middle of the night causing some noise!

Also - book direct! That way, you get a free breakfast! As a coeliac, I was pleasantly suprised to see gluten free cornflakes forming part of the breakfast buffet; a rarity in these kinds of hostels! Will definitely be staying again.

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed January 7, 2020

As someone who never writes reviews, the fact I felt compelled to write this means a lot. In terms of the hostel itself, you get what you pay for. The rooms are just very basic hostel dorm rooms, although the doors slam and the wall street are thin so sleeping was sometimes difficult - not an issue, after all, most booking this know it has a party hostel reputation (this evening said, after staying at other hostels , this ‘party vibe’ seemed dull and only appealing to the 18 year olds who had clearly come to Amsterdam for a reason. Staff are helpful enough. However, my real disgust at this hostel is the failure of the staff to manage the guests. I understand it is peoples choice to take harder drugs than class Cs and Bs and respect people to do what they please. However, what is absolutely ABHORRENT is the fact that the hostel cat had been force fed ecstasy. The cat, since the event, literally flinched away from contact and spent hours staring at the wall. I understand staff aren’t responsible for guests, bits they ARE responsible for this poor animals welfare (also, some members of staff were joining in the drug taking/ laughing at the cats mistreatment). I was absolutely disgusted by the whole charade, and had I been able to find somewhere else to stay I would have. Beyond a joke.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with friends
4  Thank Ericasharp123
FlyingPigDT, Front Office Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are happy to read that you thought our staff were very helpful.
They are very knowledgeable of some of the cool and hip places to visit in the city.
Not to mention some really cool restaurant for reasonably priced food.

We are shocked to hear this story about our little mascot, Sanchez. We take these allegation very seriously.
We have spoken to our current staff and this seems to be just a rumor that has been told many years ago.
Sanchez is older than 10 and gets regular check ups with the vet along with special food for his age.
He spends most his days in his spot in the basement on his pillow.
He gets plenty of attention from guests whom give him a good belly rub and staff whom sit and have a chat with him. He is getting older and sometimes doesn't take well to people that move to quickly around him.

We do hope that the rest of your stay was nice, minus this silly rumor.
Thanks again for your time.

The Flying Pig Team

Reviewed December 26, 2019

Really liked the Flying Pig, loved that it was so close to the train station, was so useful for an early trip in the morning. Also loved the breakfast and general atmosphere was inviting and fun. Would definitely recommend for a cheap stay.

Date of stay: December 2019

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this nice review.

We are very happy to read that you had a nice time staying with us.
We are indeed very close to the Main train station along with plenty of attractions around every corner.
We really appreciate the fact that you liked our very chilled atmosphere.

Thanks again for your time and we hope to see you again.

The Flying Pig Team

Reviewed December 5, 2019

I volunteered here not long ago.
I loved the other whappers (that's what they called the volunteers) and the room we stayed in, though small, was cosy and homely. Breakfast was great and giving us €3 per person for dinner actually worked as it encouraged us to cook communaly. The smoking area was a great place to make friends and the bar was fun but as I was living here, the constant rowdiness got to me, this is a party hostel so ONLY STAY HERE IF YOU LOVE TO PARTY.
The work was very hard, you get too many beds to make within a 5 hour shift + extra tasks and when you are done with the extra tasks you get a list of everything you have done wrong with the beds and have to sort that out too. The beds are very pricey (it is downtown Amsterdam) which means we had to work 30 HOURS for free accommodation and they regularly made us stay overtime with no pay (I suspect this was illegal but they can get away with it because we are technically volunteering, not working). Since we are working so hard I would expect appreciation but the paid staff looked down on the whappers and treated us quite badly, even the GM at the time got drunk at kareoke and was very rude to me. I've had bad jobs before but this place was supposed to be home and we were there to help, there is no need to be hard on us.
If you are looking to stay in Amsterdam and like chaotic party hostels, this place is fun as hell. If you are looking to work in a new city and experience some culture DO NOT APPLY HERE. It is clearly a scam to get free labour.
Solidarity to the whappers who are still stuck there without pay, you guys were my family and are amazing <3.

Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank tequila0sunset
Reviewed December 4, 2019

This hostel is a special place. I've stayed there multi times. Excellent place to meet relaxed travelers and socialised. Loved the social vibe. Rooms are basic and cramped -- they're dorms afterall. Not the cheapest. But you're in the heart of a most amazing city, and often really interesting people are staying there, too. Great place for a solo traveller if you're in to slowing down a bit (rather than the 2 or 3 day dash to tick the cliched tourist must-dos), making conversation and hanging out. Some of my favourite memories of Amsterdam started here, with the people I met here - I keep returning to this place.

Date of stay: June 2019