1,375 results
All reviews smoking room bed dorm free breakfast free earplugs the red light district person room bar downstairs train station dam square beds were comfortable central location amsterdam centraal hostel lockers padlock bunk cereal
Reviewed September 30, 2017 via mobile

We had an average time but honestly I think we were just unlucky.
Firstly, our dorm (room O2) was weird, we arrived late afternoon and there were people sleeping which is whatever but this continued through our stay where people would sleep throughout the entire day. This obviously is what you have to expect sometimes with dorms but what made it super awkward and uncomfortable was that there was hardly any natural light so the room was constantly dark, dingy and uninviting. We made an effort to spend as little time as possible in our dorm. It was also located on the lower level right near the showers and staff cleaning area so it could be pretty loud in the mornings due to all the traffic of people.

Secondly, I got bitten horrendously by what I assume was bed bugs, this really (and has continued to) made my trip uncomfortable and very unpleasant as my arms, back and stomach are covered with itchy, ugly bites. However, the staff were absolutely fantastic, were super helpful, apologetic and just overall lovely. They refunded us the night and gave us drink tokens, they changed all our bedding and organised for the room to be exterminated quickly. Very, very impressed by how the situation was handled!

Thirdly, we arrived back late one night to find that people had been given our beds. This honestly was really frustrating because the room had be exterminated that day because I'd been bitten, it was late and it was just another thing that had gone wrong. However, again, staff were great and sorted it out for us.

On a positive note, the beds are comfy and it's cool that they're double beds. Location is GREAT! Security is great.

I can totally see how this hostel gets great reviews because the staff are bloody amazing, the bar is cool and the location is A+++ but sadly we just didn't have the best experience, like i said I think it was just bad luck rather than negligence.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
FlyingPigDT, Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay! We were sorry to hear that you had an unlucky stay with us. Great that you found our staff amazing and that they helped with the experience you had in your room promptly and quickly! Indeed this is something we take very seriously here so always seek to solve this right away. We can assure you no-one was given your beds, just some guest slept in the wrong one :( Our sincere apologies for the misfortune of events. Thank you for mentioning that you found our location, security and staff great regardless.

Thanks again! The Piggies

Reviewed September 29, 2017

I had a really great time at this hostel and met the best people during my trip in Europe! This hostel is definitely a fun and lively place to stay. The bar is open until very late and you can always find someone there to chat while having your drink (Best Amsterdam Experience). They have 24-hour reception which is handy if you are arriving very late at night or very early in the morning. Regarding to the room, I had a 4 bed shared room and didn't have any problems to sleep in peace after an intense day in Amsterdam. They offer a locker under the bed which is a bit noisy and probably not the best I've seen, but it did its job. The only downside actually was the pillow, mine was smelly and a bit disgusting, I asked the reception to change and the other one was also smelly so I had to use a towel to pack my pillow and sleep better. I think it is time to renew the pillows, Flying Pig. The Hostel location is perfect! Within walk distance from Centraal Station, Dam Square, shopping, food, and many other areas in the city. I reccomend this place.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter place to sleep, ask them for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo

WOoohooO!

Cheers for the lovely review and comments! We are pleased to hear that you had a really great time with us and appreciated our nightly activities in the bar ;) Great that you made good use of our 24 hour reception desk! We were shocked and sorry to hear about your pillow! We do change them often and have a lot of new ones in storage! We will make sure our Head Cleaner changes all of the pillows in the room you stayed in right away :) Thanks for letting us know!

Take care and Happy Travels! The Piggies

Reviewed September 27, 2017

After watching a Bollywood movie, Queen I had decided I would stay at Flying Pig whenever I visit Amsterdam and thats what I did in July 2017. I have never lived in a hostel and was quite scared and nervous. But this hostel was barely a 10 minute walk from Amsterdam Central Station. The receptionist was very friendly and made me comfortable as I stepped in. Check in was smooth and quick and booked a 4 bedroom dormitory. The rooms and bathroom were clean. Surprisingly the bunk beds were comfortable. The hostel is located in between eateries, shopping, cafes, and barely a 10 minute walk to the red light district. They have an open bar 24/7 downstairs and you do not feel the need to head out to party. Overall, a great experience at the Flying Pig Downtown. Make sure to carry your own padlock but you can purchase it from the reception too.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo

Hi!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to comment on your stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that as your first stay in a hostel we made you feel welcome and comfortable :) Great that you found our rooms clean and comfortable! Indeed we have a 24 hour reception and smoking room, but our bar does close at 3am ;)

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip! Happy Travels! The piggies

Reviewed September 25, 2017

This was a fun and lively place to stay. The bar is open until 3 am and you will likely hear "Happy Birthday" sung every night. If you are into partying and a fun crowd, this is the place for you. I liked that the hostel had 24-hour reception. It was a benefit to have for a late arrival or early departure. Location is great! It is a quick walk from Centraal Station, Dam Square, shopping, food, and tour options of the city.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
FlyingPigDT, Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2017

Hey there!

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay! We are pleased to hear that you found us such a fun place to stay and were able to join into a happy birthday rendition! ;) Great that you appreciated our 24 hour reception and close proximity to the Downtown sights :)

We hope to see you again next time!
Happy Travels! The Piggies

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Wow, just wow. This was my 1st time in Amsterdam, we met a guy in Berlin 2 years ago who spoke of this hostel, so I made sure to book it! and dam am I super happy we did!

We booked a private double bedroom which was up on the top floor, quiet and beautiful, so clean and a bloody fridge!!! to store all the lovely dutch cheese! Also a TV and an ensuite! with soap and all! was like a hotel! I was so impressed with the room, I think it was around €50 each a night each, very cheap for Amsterdam, plus you get a free breakfast, and its a massive selection of things! Boiled eggs were my personal favourite, made myself some egg in a cup.

The hostel itself is a 2 minute walk from the main train station from the airport. The down stairs has a bar and a smoking room, they do not sell weed, as the law in Amsterdam has changed recently were you can only sell drink or green and not both. Some really cool people run the place. They really helped me out we arrived for Mysteryland Festival on the Friday and we weren't due to stay here until the Monday but I messaged their Facebook page asking if they could mind out bags for a couple of hours on the Friday morning. They said it wasn't normal procedure but helped us out.
Thank you so much guys, it really meant a lot.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank sashaferg
FlyingPigDT, Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2017

Hey!

Woooohooo! Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay! We are so pleased to hear all of your lovely comments! Great that you found us an amazing place and that our staff went beyond the call of duty to help you store your bags! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your private room with fridge, safe, kettle, soap and towels!

Thanks again and we hope to see you on your next trip!
Keep flying! The piggies