New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“a great backpacker's hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Downtown

Flying Pig Downtown
Athens
“a great backpacker's hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

The Flying Pig Downtown is a great choice for young travellers and backpackers who want to see Amsterdam up close.

Arriving there we were amazed by the party atmosphere at the hostel's loby and bar, with pillows on the floor on which you can just chill out for hours.

All 4 of us stayed in a dorm. My dorm had 6 beds altogether , was small but cool and funky with nice colours on the walls, and it was ensuite (like all of the rooms, I think). The toilet and shower were not the cleanest ever but I guess this also depends on your roomates :S , as the bathroom in our friend's room was ok.

Very friendly and young personnel.

We were amazed when we saw the dinning area. A very rich breakfast, included in the price, in the coolest and coziest dinning room: we felt like dinning in hobbitland or something.

Generally we had a very good experience there and would be happy to re-visit! Very reasonable price (for Amsterdam) and in the centre of everything (1' from Dam Square). The hostel gives you great chance to meet young people from all over the world. I'd go back anytime.

• Liked — location, atmosphere- it was my vision of a backpacker's hostel
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Laredo, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

the flying pig hostel is an awesome place for young people to stay at an affordable price. I found it to be very nice and was overall good. There is a lounge area a place where you can play billiards and a underground "chilling room". It is veeybwell located and itsbinly a few blocks away from city square. Security is great and you find nice people. The rooms are classic hostel rooms and clean mostly.

• Liked — the lobby is great
  • Disliked — the rooms were ok
  • Stayed June 2003, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Just got back from Amsterdam for a 2-night stay with a friend. We stayed at the Flying Pig Downtown and I must say this is the worst place I have ever stayed in.

We booked only a week before so were only able to get a private room for 1 night as we were willing to pay the extra money to upgrade. It was far from an upgrade, and more like a health hazard. We were informed at the front desk that the shower in the room wouldn't be working and we were offered a 35% discount in return. We get to the room and there was a horrible odor from what must have been a broken pipe, this room would never be offered for any price at any place I've ever stayed at. It was truly horrible and we couldn't sleep the whole night, especially with the hot sun coming in the next morning and making the smell even worse. We complained to the cleaning staff the next day, and they helped us get a partial refund the next morning from the front desk. We stayed in a dorm room the next day, which was actually more tolerable. The clientele at this hostel is definitely the grungy party crowd but everyone seemed nice and people tried to be quiet when getting in very late. The problem is that the hostel itself is located on a busy street with loud people walking by and you can hear them hollering to all hours of the night drunk and rowdy. The bathroom was bordering on filthy, especially the communal shower. Much worse than other hostels I've stayed at.

As for the cleanliness of the rest of the hostel, what a dump. There was garbage littering the stairs going to the upper floors, including french fries and ketchup smeared all over the stairs that had obviously been there for some time. There is also very poor air circulation in the whole place, due to lack of open windows and the age of the building, so combined with greasy backpackers it's very unpleasant to spend any time in. The internet is free but so slow that it's a complete waste of time. The only positive that I will give about the place is that the staff were polite and were totally understanding of our complaints, but only in a we-can't-do-anything-about-how-bad-this-place-is-anyways kind of way. Nothing of ours was stolen but we heard horror stories from others we met.

I will honestly say that this is the first online review I have ever written, that is how bad this place is that I have become compelled to write this review. I have stayed in hostels in Australia, South America, and Asia with mostly good experiences, and this is hands down the worst piece of crap I've stayed in. Do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2008
3 Thank toan6ca
Croydon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

My sister and I booked this hostel for 3 nights back in late 2003, on recommendation of a friend & we really wish we hadn't listened to her! This place was a complete dump. From the moment we arrived we felt uneasy.
The reception area was full of student & hippie types all layed out on the floor drinking, smoking marijuana & engaging in other unsavoury activities.
We were given our dorm number, sharing it with 4 others & since we arrived at midday, we left our valuables inside the locker, locked it and assumed that they would be safe there. So we went out for the day.

When we returned a few hours later, the locker had been busted open and our valuables including camera, mobile phone and one credit card had been taken. We were shocked that someone had been able to do this!

We quickly checked out of the hostel and refused to pay for the remaining nights. We informed the receptionist about what had happened & she didnt hesistate to let us leave. Something tells me that ours wasnt the first time that this had happened.

We dont know who was responsible for the theft. It may have been the people that were in the dorm at the time, it may have been the cleaner, or even management themselves. We just couldnt hang around in such an unsafe environment.

The Flying Pig is ideal for those not seeking comfort but seeking a chilled out, anything-goes atmosphere, where drugs and alcohol consumption is not only tolerated but encouraged.

• Liked — Nothing at all.
  • Disliked — Having our valuables stolen despite locking them in the safe provided.
  • Stayed October 2003
3 Thank filthiestfish
Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

What a living nightmare! What a hell hole.
If you love doing drugs, don´t care if it´s dirty, and don´t carry any valuables this might be the place for you
-if not stay away!!!!

During check-in it was difficult to actually see the staff due to the smoke. The security system when entering the place made me feel like entering an institution of some sort, but I thought maybe my stuff would be safe as a result of these security measures.

Well, two of my friends had valuables stolen even though it was kept in lockers. Even shampoo was stolen when we were naive enough to keep it on our bedroom table. A creepy guy mysteriously got into our room while my friend was in the shower (!!) , fortunately he left when she started screaming.

What else? Well it was dirty, ugly, noisy, terrible breakfast, narrow old bunk-beds with stains on the bed sheets.
And there was a cat outside our room chewing on a mouse. Disgusting!
I´d rather risk it sleeping outside in a park than staying here again.

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed November 2004, traveled with friends
4 Thank colargol
nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

i was staying at the bulldog and couldnt book another night for my last night in amsterdam, so i chose the flying pig downtown from internet reviews and a recommendation from a friend (never taking her advice ever again). building itself seemed like it would have been a cute place with character if it wasnt for the run down frat house thing that was going on. lots of young frat boy type kids - loud, inconsiderate, and vomiting as much as they were drinking. friendly though, ill give them that. atmosphere was annoying, too crazy for my tastes with no place for relaxed downtime. during the night it reminded me of my college days as u can hear all the partying through the walls. internet was free but super ridiculously slow. i went down the street to a coffeeshop that had internet. the bar/lounge area was tight, uncomfortable, and overrun with young kids. didnt have the pleasure of staying for breakfast as my flight was super early and i was running late. i grabbed a croissant and a cup of what was supposed to be orange juice but tasted like... watered down orange flavored urine. i was uncomfortable there from the second i walked in the door and totally wished i was back at the bulldog. great location though, with shopping and train station close by. i suppose it would have been cooler if i was like 10 years younger...

• Liked — location , other than that, absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — i hated everything except the location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank deLite79
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

I had heard good things about this place, so made a special effort to book it up early...going against my traveller instincts. It was a short walk from the station and in the perfect location (outside the red light district).
The dorm felt very safe but it was noisy (as expected). The bar was 'useful' and the staff were friendly.

At the time we stayed a group of paranoid italian couples would be up every hour checking bags and whispering their suspicions. The free internet access was good.

The only downside was the shower/toilet facilities. I expected each dorm to have a toilet at least but no such luck. I went to Amsterdam for extreme relaxation and woke up near to the 10am mark. This meant we always missed out free brekkie and showers were always being cleaned.

A great place to stay if you are willing to keep to their hours, try somewhere else for a little flexibility.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of facilities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple