“Best hostel I've been”

Ranked #12 of 226 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best hostel I've been”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hostel is amazing. I had a wonderful time there. I stayed for 5 nights and changed (voluntarily) rooms 2 times, so I can say that all the rooms have good conditions! The location is perfect, 5 minutes from centraal station and the street has plenty of food and clothes stores. The staff is always helpfull and nice, you can actually see that they enjoy working there. The key card doesn't work so well, but you can go to the reception and they easily change it. The bathrooms are always clean and you can take an amazing shower downstairs. The bar is really nice to hang out, with friends or alone, you'll always find someone to talk to. If you're in the mood, you can always go to the smoking room that provides a relaxing environment. The kitchen is perfectly equiped and you don't have to cook your breakfast, because they offer it! So, in my opinion, this is the perfect hostel to enjoy your stay in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but if you drink or smoke you probably want to stay in the rooms next to the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The staff is really friendly and the bar is great. I had a blast every night I stayed at the Pig because there was always something going on. The people staying here are from every corner of the globe, so if you're looking to meet people this is the place.

The rooms are okey, to be used only for sleeping. The common area has got a decent pool table and there's always some australian guy willing to take you on. However I wouldn't recommend it at all for an extended period of time or for adult couples or families traveling together.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BenTraveler
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Loved this hostel. It was only my second time staying at a hostel but I was quite impressed. We had an easy check-in and our room was big in size and very clean! We even had our own private bathroom, which is a big plus!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed at the Flying Pig travelling solo and had a blast! Rooms were good, bathrooms were clean, staff was helpful and there was lots of interesting people staying there. Def a party atmosphere, which is great for meeting new friends! Not really a downside, but the bar is so fun you may find yourself hanging out there too much and not exploring!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kabrooklyn
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had so much fun in this hostel, the staff were great and helpfull all the time. There is a smoking zone with pillows and a balcony, I loved it!!!
The location couln't be better, good wifi for free, the rooms and bathroom were ok.
When I start looking for a hotel in Amsterdam for New Years Eve the average price for a share room was 150, after 3 days looking this was the only hostel that offerted a bed for 25, I wasn't looking for a hostel but I have to recommend it because its a very cool one!!!

Room Tip: Room with 6 bed and private bathroom was nice but room in the basement with aprox. 10 bed was smelly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here with a friend last October, we had a private room so paid a little more but it was great, make the most of the complimentary breakfast down in the basement. The location is central just a short walk from everything. Great cheese shop minutes away and if you want to smoke in luxury prix is amazing just round the corner.
Staff at the pig was helpful always said hello when we passed and happy to help.
Nice cosy smoking room inside and outside the hostel. I will be booking this hostel next time I visit this amazing city.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jade A
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Terrible place. Staff is very bad. No concern AT ALL for your well being.

I got to Amsterdam at 5 am and went straight to the Hostel. When I rang the bell and had the door opened, they told me I could not get into the building until 8 am, because it’s their policy.

It was winter and it must have been 5 degrees Celsius outside, with the wind blowing and no place to sit.

I felt treated like a piece of trash and didn’t even argue so as not to give them further satisfaction to say no. Some people get off on their small powers and the two guys at the reception desk seemed to be that type.

The common areas are very small and get crowded easily during the day. You don’t feel at ease.

The room was very small and the toilet wasn’t very clean. They were one of the cheapest ones when I went there but I felt like I should have gone to a better place. What bothered me the most was the indifference towards me and my friends’ well being when we got there after a long bus ride from Paris.

The only good thing they have going on is their location. A wet dream for anyone who is going there to smoke since it’s only a stumble away from the nearest coffee shop. Still, that seemed to be an issue because the Hostel is crowded with pothead types who can be very obnoxious.

Bad place to stay. Think again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Felipe F
FlyingPigDT, Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for leaving a message on our TripAdvisor page. We really appreciate that you took the time to leave us a message about your experience.

We are very sorry to read we disappointed you and we would like to get more information about your stay. We are always looking for ways to improve and we really want to find out what happened when you checked in. Guests who made a reservation ahead should be able to come in at any time of the day, or night. People with no reservation can come in after 8:00. We are so sorry to hear that our night-porter did not let you in.

We will contact you personally to find out more about your stay. Again, we are really sorry and hope to hear from you soon so we can get to the bottom of this.

Safe travels,