WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #10 of 221 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Port Macquarie, Australia
“You must stay here :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

This was my first hostel experience. I only stayed here as I'd heard that hostels were a good place to meet people and I was traveling solo from London on this trip.
The flying pig downtown is right in the centre of everything. A close walk from the euro train station, near the red light district and loads of shopping and cafés.
The staff were really helpful with all my inquiries.
The smoking room next to the bar was a really cool feature, as you really didn't even need to leave the hostel to have a fun night! There's always lots of young people around from all over the world who are ready to go exploring or partying with.

I stayed in a 6 person dorm the first few nights. It was serviced every day and the bathroom was so clean it didn't even feel like I was in a hostel.
I didn't even lock up my stuff when I was here, I had a good vibe that it was a safe place.

The only thing I would advise is that the price goes up a lot over the weekend which I wasn't prepared for. I'd only booked 2 week nights before I left which were super cheap around €16/night but then when I went to prolong my stay for Friday/Saturday night it was around €50 for a 30+ person dorm. It was still well worth it as everywhere in Amsterdam is expensive on the weekend but just be mindful.
Make sure you bring a European adaptor too. I couldn't find anywhere close by to purchase one.

All in all I loved this hostel and I would definitely stay again in the future. Amsterdam is awesome!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Flying Pig Hostel in Amsterdam is one of my favorite stays, if I am on budget and want to mingle with people, but don't want to give up on a great location near the city center of Amsterdam. I used to come at least once a year, up by train from Germany, get off in Amsterdam, and then take a stroll through the city to the hostel. No need for public transport, and if the weather is nice, your walk will lead you past most of the cities attractions so you get a good idea already of the distances an on where to go later.
Stay: 4 Nights
When: April 2012
Room: Standard Dormitory for 6 Adults
Price: 25 Euro (42 SGD)
Breakfast included - NO
Location:
The hostel is well located in the center of Amsterdam. Easily reachable by foot from the Main Train station. Max 10 minute walking. The main shopping areas are all directly around the hostel, the main plaza with its performers, Madam Tussauds, Casino, Gravts etc are in direct walking distance. We also went to discover the ”Torture" Museum which was "interesting" to say.
Hotel / Rooms:
The Flying Pig is a hostel but it is very well maintained. The bedrooms were dormitories with 6 or 8 beds, but everything was clean, we liked the big windows, and the rooms were actually large sized, with big tables in the center. Lockers were available for each guest for free, just bring your own lock. There is a decent kitchen for self cooking and storage available, bathrooms were also cleaned every day and in good condition.
EXTRA GOOD:
+ Location
+ Price
+ Large Rooms

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Gold Canyon, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hostel is filled with young fun people which is exactly what we were looking for during our backpacking trip. We stayed in the room with the most people, I think it was a 28 bed room! Crazy! Needless to say it was an adventurous night. I would definitely recommend staying in a less full room, or maybe a private. But the hostel is fun and friendly and a true hostel experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at the flying pig best hostel i've stayed in, in Amsterdam! the Location was GREAT really easy to get to everything was close by! Hostel was a good lay out and really liked the smoking room & the happy room down stairs :) Room was a good size we had a 4 bedroom ensuite , beds were a bit uncomfy felt like you were sleeping on plastic! breakfast was okay!

only issue we had was some things went missing from our room in the night, 2 people's wallets were emptied out and someones phone was taken.. :/ very strange as we had a private room ! The night that it happened we woke up to a man in our room asking if everything was okay. The money and phone were never found and we had reported it to reception who were not very helpful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The flying pig is just an amazing hostel. The staff are so friendly and helpful. We stayed in a lovely private room with a tv/dvd player and bathroom. Towels were included and room service came everyday. The smoking area was so cosy and the bar was also great. I would highly recommend this place for young people/couples.

Room Tip: Higher floors do not have wifi but they are very quiet and even thought the private rooms are a litt...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Pretty decent hostel. Have stayed at both uptown and downtown and downtown is definitley better. Building is a much better layout with a lift as well. Also much better location than uptown.
Very poor wifi. Super annoying.
Beds are pretty tiny and feel like you're laying on plastic but the rooms are spacious as well as the lockers.

I stayed in a 14 bed mixed which had 2 ensuites which was great.
Cleaned every day.
Never made it up in time for breakfast lol.

Good bar and smoking room.

All staff were nice except for the red head chick on reception. Saw her being really nasty to customers on many occasions.

Decent priced during the week but on Fridays and Saturdays it absolutey sky rockets.
I would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Eliseaashour
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for just one night before moving on. The hostel is great, good facilities, the free breakfast was really nice! Helpful staff. My only complaint is that when I got to my room someone was sleeping in my bed, however this was no fault of the hostel and could happen anywhere. The location is great, 5 mins from central station. I would recommend to friends!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo