“Decent”

Flying Pig Downtown
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Pretty decent hostel. Have stayed at both uptown and downtown and downtown is definitley better. Building is a much better layout with a lift as well. Also much better location than uptown.
Very poor wifi. Super annoying.
Beds are pretty tiny and feel like you're laying on plastic but the rooms are spacious as well as the lockers.

I stayed in a 14 bed mixed which had 2 ensuites which was great.
Cleaned every day.
Never made it up in time for breakfast lol.

Good bar and smoking room.

All staff were nice except for the red head chick on reception. Saw her being really nasty to customers on many occasions.

Decent priced during the week but on Fridays and Saturdays it absolutey sky rockets.
I would stay again.

3  Thank Eliseaashour
Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for just one night before moving on. The hostel is great, good facilities, the free breakfast was really nice! Helpful staff. My only complaint is that when I got to my room someone was sleeping in my bed, however this was no fault of the hostel and could happen anywhere. The location is great, 5 mins from central station. I would recommend to friends!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The Flying Pig is so perfectly located it can't really be beat. It's within walking distance to almost every tourist location. The hostel itself is placed within a never ending shopping strip that caters to any need - food, clothes, book stores and coffee shops aplenty

The staff are incredibly friendly and fun and definitely personify the hostels atmosphere. The free breakfast was great providing cereals, fruits and toast. The hostel also provides free wifi which worked somewhat in our room but great everywhere else

The rooms are decent although Ive definitely stayed in better. My room also had a spacious bathroom and was also very clean. The rooms only fault are its loud metal lockers!!

As a solo traveller I found it easy to meet others in the bar downstairs with the help of a few games if a pool.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Been there for a stop-by of 14 hours in Amsterdam. Very close to the central train station which is at 20 minutes from the airport.

The bar was open until 3 o'clock and we suprisingly hear nothing at all from the rooms. They were clean but a little bit crowded (6 persons in a very little room). Also we had reserved for a queen bed but it was a normal double bed.

Overall, it was cheap (especially the beer), well located and clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I (25 y.o. Backpackers) enjoyed a few nights at Flying Pig Downtown. The location really can't be beat- we were able to walk everywhere. We walked to the Van Gogh and IJ Brewery, which were our 2 farthest destinations and only took about 30-40 minutes each. Red Light, Dam Square, Coffee Shops, Restaurants, canals, metro, and Anne Frank House are all within 10 minutes.
They checked us in right away which was great. Our room was a 12 bed dorm that also seemed to have a small attached area that had a privacy curtain- not really sure what that area was. Our room was fine despite some extremely loud roommates one night (I realize the hostel has no control over this). There was a glass door to the smoking area, but they seemed to quiet it down early in the night so it wasn't really a bother.
The shower area was on our floor which was nice, but the closest bathroom was upstairs. It wasn't too bad, but really would've been nice to have one on our floor. We shared a locker right next to our bed which was plenty big for 2, 25 lb. backpacks.
The bar upstairs is fun, but pretty a small. There is also a pretty large smoking room, which I didn't experience, but seems like a nice, chill area.
Overall, the hostel had a fun, backpacker friendly vibe. It wasn't the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed it, but it seemed generally clean, and I noticed a few employees working hard day and night while still being really friendly. I would stay again if visiting Amsterdam.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you are travelling with friends to Amsterdam, this is where to stay. Here you'll find a cool atmosphere and an excellent location.
But, only if you're backpacking. If not, don't expect to grab a good sleep here.
Rooms are ok, bathrooms are as to be expected in a hostel, just ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed in this hostel with 2 friends between 06th and 09th November, we were visiting Amsterdam for the Ajax-Celtic match on the 06th.

Arrival: We arrived around lunchtime and were checked in right away Once checked in we visited the bar within the hostel and enjoyed a pitcher of beer between us (1 pitcher = roughly 3 pints - and its 12Euros before 9pm and 10Euros afterward!!!!).

Room: We were placed in room 201, which is a 4-bed ensuite - so the 3 of us were sharing with 1 "stranger". The room was spotless, which is always good! We were sharing with a Scottish guy the 1st night and then a Canadian fella for the last 2 nights - we all got on great and took pictures etc before leaving on the last day.

Bar / Smoking Room: As I stated above the pitchers of beer are good value, especially if there are 2 or 3 of you sharing, but the bar serves a good variety of drinks at reasonable prices. The smoking room (if thats your thing) has a couple of comfy seats, a couple of tables & chairs, and a well-cushioned area to relax on (no shoes, no sleeping is the rule for the "relaxation" area :-) ) It's a great area to meet people, we chatted away to nearly everyone we met and I think we made some new friends.

Breakfast / Kitchen: Unfortunately I wasnt up early enough to sample what was on offer for breakfast, but there are plenty of cafe's, restaurants, take-aways, hot-dog stalls etc for the late risers.

Location: It's between Amsterdam Central Station and Dam Square - so can't really be beat for location.

Overall, an excellent stay - Would definitely use the hostel again when travelling with friends.

Thanks Flying Pig!

Room Tip: Perhaps not the most cost effective, but the en-suite rooms were easier for me. Like having my "...