New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Flying Pig Downtown

Flying Pig Downtown
Ranked #10 of 221 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Cool hostel in a cool city”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hostel has a cool little set up whereby the bar doubles as reception. First impressions - chilled out vibe. Definitely more relaxed than its sister hostel St Christopher's where I also stayed in Amsterdam.

It was a nice rarity that they let me enter the room hours before the official check-in time so that I could store my luggage (none of the beds were made yet though which was fair enough).

On Saturday night I had some pre-drinks at the hostel bar with my room mate and it was super duper quiet. Amsterdam was right outside the door to explore after all!

I shared the dorm room with a group of four English lads travelling together for a wild weekend in Amsterdam and one other lovely solo dude who I made friends with. Being the only girl in the room didn't bother me too much, but being put with a group of people who booked together was certainly not ideal. Thank goodness for my friendly bunk buddy.

Three more random facts: 1. I despise the under the bed lockers - horrendously awkward! 2. At 4am in the morning the street of the hostel is dead quiet (at St Christopher's the street was still active at 4am). 3. Coffee shops close at midnight!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very well located in downtown. We arrived walking from the train station and only used Tram or taxi to get agility on displacements.
The room is very short. We were on four in a private room with bathroom insuite.
The pub on the entrance is very good. Snooker and beer for a fair price. Our warm up was there every day before party.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time staying at the Flying Pig Downtown. The hostel itself is very centrally located and always secure and clean. The rooms vary in size and are always fairly comfortable. There is also the bonus of having a doublebed bunk in some of them! The vibe of the hostel is always very good and most staff being helpful and friendly however I did witness a reception staff member rolling her eyes when a traveller asked her a question, which I thought was a bit unprofessional and rude. Other than that though, everything was great. I recommend staying at this hostel is you are looking for something centrally located and are looking to have a good time. This is not the place for you if you want something a bit more quiet and chilled.

Stayed September 2013
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent 3 nights here last month. This is my first hostel in many years, and I must admit I was presently surprised. We stayed in the big sharing room, which I was against at first. However, the room itself, bed linen and pillows were immaculately clean. No major noise issues from the bar above. Most people were very considerate when arriving in the middle of the night. Location was amazing, the service great. I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a lot of fun at this hostel. Beds and rooms were clean. Bathrooms were ok. Shower water would spill over to where the toilets were. The smoke room is nice and the staff was very helpful.

Not the best hostel in the world, but it got the job done in decent comfort for the 2 nights I stayed there.

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

What can I say. I had a great stay at the flying pig.

The staff were incredibly helpful when I first checked in and provided me with directions and recommendations for the city. They explained everything and I had no trouble booking in.

My friend was slightly confused about some bookings he made, they helped clear things up for him and even gave us both some free drink tokens for the confusion!

We stayed in a 10 bed dorm, and It was laid out with the beds round the edges (4 single bunks, 1 queen sized bunk). The beds were very comfortable and I slept well.

The bar great too. Fast service for the amount of people around! And I met loads of great characters there.

If I come back to Amsterdam I'll be staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Breton Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Such an incredible time staying at the Flying Pig!! Very relaxed atmosphere, friendly people to mix and mingle with. We stayed in a 16 person dorm, not the quietest sleeping arrangement, but I wasn't bothered. If you're looking for a lie in in the mornings I'd suggest booking a room with a bit more privacy, but if you're looking to meet new people and have a great social experience, I'd say look no further!! Loved every minute!!

Room Tip: Larger dorm rooms are quite noisy especially in the mornings with people packing up to move on.