Last 2 weeks I spend in 2 Best Western hotels in Amsterdam: Blue Square and Apollo Museum.
I'm really astonished how come those 2 hotels which basically cost the same can be rated even close to each other on trip advisor.
I'll put here a short comparison of those 2 hotels.
- Blue Square - this is the biggest problem of this hotel. It looks from outside as a cheap hostel, definitely not as Best Western Plus
- Apollo - nice, old building enlighten in the evening as a tourist attraction
- Blue Square - little better than outside but the image of hostel is still present, way too much plastic used
- Apollo - looks just good, not too fancy, not to ascetic.
- Blue Square - the room is bigger than in Apollo but it looks old (not in good way) and cheap, the bathroom wasn't exactly clean (it was not dirty but it needs some cleaning which you don't do every day - f.e. fugues). I don't know who designed the layout in bathroom but to take toilet paper when you seat on the toilet requires acrobatic skills.
- Apollo - the room is quite small (at least the one I got) but what you can expect from old building. The room design is really nice - you can feel Scandinavian touch in the design here. Bathroom also looks much better than the one at Blue Square. It's equipped with thermostatic shower mixer. The only pain point here is water leaking on the floor from the shower (it wasn't broken it's just made this way).
- Blue Square - really good internet connection and not-bad TV
- Apollo - the internet was sometimes very slow (you need to pay 8EUR extra per day if you want faster internet), more TV channels than in Blue Square (f.e. Discover or ComedyCentral - both in Dutch version but 99% of the time it's still in English with just Dutch subtitles)
- Blue Square - you really need to use a public transport to get to the town, it's way too far to walk
- Apollo - basically at the start of old town, few meters from HardRock Caffee
- Blue Square - own underground parking for 15 EUR a day
- Apollo - no own parking, you can on the street right outside of the hotel (no problems to find parking places) or in underground parking 300m away. Both will cost you more than 15 EUR for sure (4EUR/h 9-24 during week).
both hotels costs ~60EUR per night with breakfast paid separately (~10EUR).